Tina Fey -- I love you

Started by SoNowThen, June 10, 2003, 10:25:33 AM

MacGuffin

Fey reflects on her funniest moments
Source: USA TODAY

Tina Fey's favorite "Weekend Update" moments:

• Fey held up a photo of Hugh Hefner with his look-alike blond bombshells and launched into one of her most famous rants, wondering just "when are we going to have a Hefner harem that looks like America?" Says Fey: "I had been trying to do a sketch about it for four months and finally cracked it."

• Remember the shark that invaded the set and gobbled up Fey? So does she. The bit with Chevy Chase "was like going to Comedy Fantasy Camp," she says.

• After dissing Robert De Niro's comedy Meet the Parents, Jimmy Fallon verbally tussled with the actor on "Update." It "was just plain fun," Fey says.

• The childless Fey told viewers that she could "hear my ovaries curling up." That's why she loved "going off about 'Baby Panic' stories that cropped up on like three magazine covers because of that Sylvia Ann Hewlett book (Creating a Life: Professional Women and the Quest for Children). It was really cathartic."

• Fey and Fallon had their own take on the French opposition to the war in Iraq and ensuing culinary name change. Fey said that "in France, American Cheese is now referred to as Idiot Cheese." She loved ranting along with Fallon, because "it's fun to play with Jimmy, and seriously ... 'freedom fries'?"

• Fey gave NBC's The Apprentice a shout out by having Maya Rudolph play Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, "a leader and a strong Nubian woman." Rudolph's bit, Fey says, "was really funny. We hit her in the head with a whole pizza and a fax machine."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

To my surprise, Quentin Tarantino and Tina Fey were both on Last Call with Carson Daly last night (Friday night/Saturday Morning, 4/30-5/1).  Doesn't do anyone any good now, of course, but I'm just saying in case you want to keep an eye out for the rerun.  They were both entertaining as always.

ono

Tina Fey is on Conan right now.  It's a rerun, but still worth watching.

modage

Tina Fey Writing Curly Oxide and Vic Thrill
Source: Variety Thursday, August 26, 2004

Tina Fey (Mean Girls) has made a deal with Paramount to write Curly Oxide and Vic Thrill, from producers Lorne Michaels and John Goldwyn. Fey will write the comedy about the true story of a Hasidic Jew and a grizzled rock musician who form a band, reports Variety.

Curly Oxide is the stage name of the young Hasidic Jew who wandered into a Brooklyn bar where Vic Thrill drunkenly played his raucous music. Thrill struck up a conversation and a mutual interest in music led Thrill to invite his new friend to visit his nearby recording studio. The duo began writing and performing music together, mingling their cultures in the playful lyrics.

It is unclear whether Fey will write a role for herself. She will continue to serve as head writer for Saturday Night Live as well as the show's Weekend Update co-anchor when the sketch comedy show returns this fall.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Henry Hill

having not seen Mean Girls, is there any validity on the Heathers comparison? just curious.

MacGuffin

Quote from: filmboy70having not seen Mean Girls, is there any validity on the Heathers comparison?

Kinda, only in the sense of girl cliques and their powerful manipulation of the students in their high school.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Tina Fey is on Conan tonight (Tues. 11/9-11/10).

MacGuffin

Tina Fey and Husband Expecting First Baby

"Saturday Night Live" star Tina Fey has some breaking news of her own: The "Weekend Update" co-anchor and her husband are expecting their first child in September, according to People magazine.

Fey will remain at the show's anchor desk through the end of the season, the magazine reported Thursday.

Fey, 34, has been head writer at the show for five years, and her husband, Jeff Richmond, 44, is a composer there. They met before their jobs on "SNL" and dated for seven years before tying the knot in a Greek Orthodox ceremony in 2001, People said.

In October, Fey and fellow cast member Amy Poehler made history by becoming the show's first all-female "Update" team, long a trademark segment.

The comedians also starred together in the film "Mean Girls" with Lindsay Lohan.

Fey is waiting to hear whether NBC will pick up her pilot in the fall. She serves as both star and executive producer in the yet-to-be-named show, in which she portrays a head writer for a sketch comedy/variety show.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tina Fey's Weekend Update

Tina Fey now has a mean girl of her very own.

The Saturday Night Live head writer/"Weekend Update" anchor and Mean Girls mastermind delivered a baby girl, Alice, on Saturday in Manhattan, NBC confirmed Monday.

It's the first for Fey and her husband, SNL composer Jeff Richmond. The couple married in 2001

The 34-year-old funnywoman, who signed a $4 million deal in 2003 to stay on the Saturday night staple through the upcoming season, will take a brief maternity leave from the show.

When SNL's 31st season premieres Oct. 1, there will be a couple of new faces on board to pick up the slack. Bill Hader, a veteran of MTV's PUnk'd, and Andy Samberg, part of the Lonely Island comedy troupe, have been tapped to join the Not-Ready-for-Primetime Players as featured performers.

Also back for the new season: Fred Armisen,     Rachel Dratch,     Will Forte,     Darrell Hammond, Seth Meyers, Finesse Mitchell,     Chris Parnell,     Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz,     Kenan Thompson and featured player Jason Sudeikis. Like Fey,     Maya Rudolph will be taking a maternity leave but will return later in the season.

Aside from diaper duty, Fey is also working on the script for Paramount's Curly Oxide and Vic Thrill, a based-on-a-true-story comedy about a young Hasidic Jew and an aging rock 'n' roller who meet and form a band

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

TV Roundup: Odd Couples Edition

Great minds think alike. The West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin and Saturday Night Live star/head writer Tina Fey are both developing series for NBC that take place backstage at an SNL-like sketch comedy show. The New York Post has some details about both shows in development, speculating on the question of whether they'll both make it to air? Which will make it first? Tough to handicap: Fey clearly knows the territory better, but she's been on maternity leave from SNL, and it's not clear how active she's been on her sitcom project. Sorkin knows how to do backstage TV comedy, as anyone knows who remembers SportsNight, but his project, called Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip, is a drama. Let the sketch-off begin.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Leave it to Aaron Sorkin to make a drama series about a comedy series...

The man's a shroomin' genius!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

I guess we knew it was coming.... 30 Rock looks promising, so I'm happy about it ... SNL sucks most of the time , maybe Fey can actually be in something mildly consistant now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060722/ap_en_tv/people_fey_2

BURBANK, Calif. - Tina Fey is leaving the anchor chair at "Saturday Night Live." Fey says she's quitting the show after six seasons as head writer and co-anchor of the "Weekend Update" fake news segment to focus on her new NBC prime-time series, "30 Rock."

"The new show's going to take a lot of time," Fey said while appearing on Friday night's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

"I wanted to stop doing 'Saturday Night Live' so I could spend more time with Star Jones," she joked, referring to last month's dramatic departure of "The View" co-hostess.

Fey, 36, first joined "Saturday Night Live" as a writer in 1997 and became head writer in 1999.

In 2000, she first appeared on camera on "Weekend Update" alongside co-anchor Jimmy Fallon, who was replaced by Amy Poehler two years ago.

Fey plays the head writer of a fictional late-night sketch show in "30 Rock," a show she developed for NBC that also stars Alec Baldwin.

"This is the big leap I'm making, it's a show about working at a late-night comedy show," she told Leno. "I'm very creative."

modage

yeah i called it during last seasons finale.  the sad part is, this new show will likely be cancelled during the first season.  oh well. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: modage on July 22, 2006, 09:07:15 PM
the sad part is, this new show will likely be cancelled during the first season.

Your comment reminds me of how Andy Richter left Conan to do two cancelled TV shows and a few bit roles.  Fey can probably write for movies and other TV shows, so I'm not too worried about her.  If 30 Rock is cancelled I don't see her going back to SNL.