My Bloody Valentine 3D

Started by bonanzataz, January 28, 2009, 12:24:39 AM

bonanzataz

probably silly at this point to make a new thread for this silly movie, but i saw it today and was quite pleased with it, actually. a good fun time at the movies. recent slasher pics have been really dark and foreboding in tone, this one isn't even trying to scare, it just wants the audience to enjoy a dumb 3d movie. the 3d effects were pretty cool (i'm excited about 3d coming back, it's so much fun) and there was some pretty clever (i actually don't know if that's the right word) nudity and gratuitous close-ups of girls' asses.

i think the reason i wanted to post about such a dumb film was because it got me excited for the slasher genre again. it was definitely self-aware, but it never reached the post-modern douchebaggery of 90s horror. it embraced its campiness in a way that never really called attention to itself. reminded me a little bit of the maniac cop movies (they even had one of the actors from those films, and he gets the best death accordingly). just a little unpretentious slasher film that didn't have any lofty aspirations apart from entertaining you for 90 minutes. nice to see something like this rather than another horror remake (i'm dreading the new friday the 13th and nightmare remakes, it's so disheartening. oh that was kind of an unintentional joke) or some other oh-so-clever tongue-in-cheek baloney.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

i thought it was pretty bad.  i kept thinking "if this movie were even OKAY the 3D would be awesome" but as such the 3D was the only thing that made it bearable once.  the trailer and website are pretty boss though.

http://www.mybloodyvalentinein3d.com/
(watch your browser)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modage on January 28, 2009, 09:32:17 AM
the trailer and website are pretty boss though.

http://www.mybloodyvalentinein3d.com/
(watch your browser)

That website is a true testament to the meticulous consideration paid to the marketing and the aboslute lack of attention to depth.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

bonanzataz

Quote from: Walrus on January 29, 2009, 04:49:17 PM
depth.

which this movie was absolutely going for. depth.

i readily admit it was stupid. but entertaining. it just felt like everybody involved in the movie was having a good time making a dumb 3d slasher flick. is anybody a fan of the maniac cop movies? does anybody agree with me?

stefen was saying in the "taken" thread that it's just that time when everybody is sick of oscar contenders, it's nice to see a movie with zero aspirations other than to entertain ridiculously. this fulfilled a need for me. i dunno.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Robyn

I finally understood My Bloody Valentine when I was high on opiates the other day, and I haven't been ably to stop listening to it since. Apparently they are working on a new record too (surprise!). "Oh, we one hundre percent will" release it next year, so that means this decade or maybe next if we are lucky.