The Web

Started by Pedro, March 03, 2003, 07:35:55 PM

Pedro

Ok, maybe someone could explain this to me.
I've been trying to figure out how who met who and all that jazz involving PTA and a list of others.  So here are my connections so far...PTA dates
Fiona Apple who has had albums produced by John Brion who has written scores for PTA's films.  Jon Brion wrote the score for Hard Eight with Michael Penn who is a member of United Musicians with Aimee Mann.  Aimee Mann has written songs for PTA's movies, and is PTA's friend and who has had songs written by Jon Brion.

Anyone know how who met who?

xerxes

that was so confusing

Xixax

If I recall correctly, Paul and Michael were introduced through Aimee, because Paul and Aimee had been friends for a long time.

Correct me here, someone.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

sphinx

i was under the impression that this is how it went:

- pta knew jon brion and michael penn during hard eight, and was friends with aimee to some extent.  i know that he knew aimee first
- pta met fiona during press for 'boogie'
- since then, jon brion produced fiona's album, did plenty of work on the magnolia album and other mann albums, and is connected to such groups as beck

neatahwanta

Quote from: XixaxIf I recall correctly, Paul and Michael were introduced through Aimee, because Paul and Aimee had been friends for a long time.

Correct me here, someone.

That sounds right for some reason.  And I would take a guess that Aimee knew Jon before Aimee knew Paul, but I could be wrong.

Never though of it actually.

sphinx

aimee and jon actually used to be lovers, believe it or not.  she definetly met him before paul, you can read about brion's musical ex on his official website

Cecil

youre all wrong. they all met in the spaceship when they were all abducted. this was sometime before hard eight

sphinx

from the chicago tribune:

Another intense relationship with a long-ago girlfriend, Mann, was in part forged around their "militant" ideas of what constituted a good song. The pair met in Boston during the '80s, became lovers, broke up and then came to Los Angeles separately in the early '90s looking for a fresh start. "We both became, in truth, harsh critics of our own work and others' work, but we really heightened and informed each other's sense of why we liked songs," he says.

He ended up producing and playing on Mann's acclaimed solo albums "Whatever" (1993) and "I'm With Stupid" (1995), as well as parts of "Bachelor No. 2" (2000). These albums set in motion a remarkable transformation, in which Mann went from being the spike-haired pop chanteuse in 'Til Tuesday to the revered songwriter she is today."

neatahwanta

Thanks for that bit Sfinx.

'Til Tuesday  :oops:

Victor

i read that someone played for paul aimee's version of "one", pre-sydney. i think that was the first he'd heard from her, unless he was familiar with her til tuesday work, so then he mustve wanted to meet her, hear more of her stuff, hear stuff from her friends. this is probly how he became familiar w/ jon and micheal.

paul said on the sydney commentary that fiona was in cannes when he showed sidney, so the boogie thing isnt true.

arent micheal penn and aimee mann married?
are you gonna eat with us too?

Royal Tenenbaum

Yes, they are married. I was going to say that's their connection.

Jon

Jon Brion was dating Mary-(something) Rajskub, or however you spell it, she was Janet in Magnolia, and Barry's (most-drawn out) sister in PDL.

Apparently, they broke up and Jon was depressed for the past year (singing a song about her for a year at every performance at the...oh, what's the club? wherever the whole troop goes to sing and have fun).

He says he's happy now, I think.

av8raaron

I'm told Rajskub originally had filmed scenes in Magnolia, instead of just being the voice.  Her PDL role was partially a payback from PTA for that.
Fresh buttered toast.

bonanzataz

av8... didn't you even watch the Magnolia supplementary disc? psssh.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

av8raaron

Fresh buttered toast.