not the most popular thread anymore, donnie darko and homos.

Started by SubstanceD, February 18, 2003, 07:02:07 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cecil b. dementedbeating a dead horse? man, were all talking about different things here. the horse hasnt even died

we're all talking about different things, because no one reads carefully -- people see what they choose to and misconstrue ideas and intentions. theres no point in debating if people arent taking time to carefully read one's words.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

well yes i know. couldnt of said it better myself. maybe you should actually take that into consideration

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cecil b. dementedwell yes i know. couldnt of said it better myself. maybe you should actually take that into consideration

give me an instance when i've misread a post and i will take it into consideration. the  reason ive said that, is because you misread my posts. and for whatever reason are still lecturing me about using "gay" in a demeaning fashion. show me one sentence of mine that i've supported  gay bashing.

jmj

Quote from: Butterscotch Jonesthis i will say, Ive noticed a lot of writters and creative types, in the past few years have been acting anti p.c in a punk rock fashion, because in the 90's the status quo was p.c and nazi-ish for that matter, so what is the only way to say fuck you to that, well make like liam and noel from oasis or the beastie boys circa 1987 before the became the sad and pathetic bunch they are now . Punk grew out of a reaction to the bloated hippy culture, the same thing with the alternative 90's , it became self important and bloated and well let the backlash roll.............

Just out of curiosity are you trying to imply that it's not punk to be against disrespect to homosexuals?  I would venture to say that it is more status quo to call things gay than isn't.  Anyway, being "PC" as you call it is not about censorship it's about educating people on respect.  That's it.  No matter what you say, it is disrespectul to call derogatory things "gay".  If you don't care, fine, but stop trying to deny that it's not disrespectful.  If you want to live in a world where it's okay for everyone to be shitty to each other then go for it.  I want to live in a world where people consider other peoples feelings.

BTW- Nice avatar.  Do you actually have that on wax?
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Gold Trumpet

the one discussion I'm glad I stayed out of.

~rougerum

cowboykurtis

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetthe one discussion I'm glad I stayed out of.

~rougerum

i wish i could say the same for myself.

Cecil

Quote from: cowboykurtisgive me an instance when i've misread a post and i will take it into consideration. the  reason ive said that, is because you misread my posts. and for whatever reason are still lecturing me about using "gay" in a demeaning fashion. show me one sentence of mine that i've supported  gay bashing.

nobody accused you of being a "gay basher," only of being insensitive.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: cowboykurtisgive me an instance when i've misread a post and i will take it into consideration. the  reason ive said that, is because you misread my posts. and for whatever reason are still lecturing me about using "gay" in a demeaning fashion. show me one sentence of mine that i've supported  gay bashing.

nobody accused you of being a "gay basher," only of being insensitive.

fair enough -- im insesitive. i agree.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

budgie

Quote from: cecil b. dementedyou seem to be missing the point because you keep talking about not having any sympathy for people killing themselves. okay fine, thats your opinion, but this isnt a debate about whether or not we are responsible as a society towards people who kill themselves, this is about showing a bit of respect by not using the word gay in a deragatory way.

I'm not attacking you especially, Cecil, I've just picked your quote because it highlights what I think is the basic problem here: trying to separate actions from consequences. If the consequences of using the word gay to mean something is shit or inferior is that a person who is also termed gay and who calls themselves gay is made to feel shit and inferior, and eventually can't live with feeling shit and inferior, then their suicide cannot be divorced from the use of the word. If you are not gay, you may be aware of the connection you are making with gay people by using the description, or you may not, but to the gay person it is all the same: they are being told repeatedly and on a wide scale that they are the equivalent of something that is shit. If you are aware of this, you are responsible for their death if things get so bad for them that they can't live with it. There is no argument. Just because it seems trivial, 'joking' or not serious to you (being in the security of the majority) it doesn't mean it is to someone who hears every day that to be gay is to be inferior and worthless.

Everyone here who is saying 'I've no sympathy because they take seriously things they should just ignore' is lacking in imagination, empathy and has obviously had it easy (don't start whining about High School please). Yes, many gay people find strategies for laughing off and ignoring the crap they get told, but many don't, and have a shit life or kill themselves because people go around saying 'it's not my problem'. It is your problem because you are causing it by not pointing out to the ignorants that to equate a shit movie with a gay person is to demean them and cause them harm, however they might deal with it, and however trivial it seems to you. If it's not trivial to them, it's not trivial. Trying to pretend that while you enjoyed using the word gay or didn't disagree with its use the effect of that has nothing to do with you and is someone else's fault is cowardly and shameful. At the end of the day you are too busy protecting your own need to not make waves so people don't start on you.

jmj

Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: jmj
Quote from: Butterscotch Jones

BTW- Nice avatar.  Do you actually have that on wax?

why yes i do , ma man. It makes me so happy, i have a wax collection that is filled with sureal shit. you have to find this album

jmj

Quote from: Butterscotch Joneswhy yes i do , ma man. It makes me so happy, i have a wax collection that is filled with sureal shit. you have to find this album

Nice...I just got a story-time Dukes of Hazzard 45.  Talk about surreal.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: jmj
Quote from: Butterscotch Joneswhy yes i do , ma man. It makes me so happy, i have a wax collection that is filled with sureal shit. you have to find this album

Nice...I just got a story-time Dukes of Hazzard 45.  Talk about surreal.

WOW That is great, ahh to be a young John Schneider

i own a sammy davis jr disco album ......... nutty

Cecil