Alternative approaches to entertainment distribution/consumption

Started by Sleepless, September 06, 2013, 02:08:09 PM

matt35mm

Oh and I liked MUDBOUND, which I just remembered was not financed by Netflix, but purchased at Sundance.

wilder

Female-Led Investor Groups Target Weinstein Co. Acquisition - Variety

QuoteIf Killer is successful, the expectation is that Weinstein Co. would cease to exist as a company. Creative management of Weinstein Co.'s film development and library would be handled by Killer Films principals Christine Vachon and Pamela Koffler, both respected veterans of the indie film biz, while business matters would be steered by Killer Content, headed by CEO Adrienne Becker, and its pro-social unit, Killer Impact. The New York Women's Foundation, a public foundation with more than 10,000 donors, including blue-chip corporate backers, would help administer the distribution of profits from Weinstein Co. titles to various non-profit organizations.

ono

wilberfan

"The Best Possible Representation" ARRI's Executive Board Members Discuss Samsung Cinema LED Screen

https://news.samsung.com/global/the-best-possible-representation-arris-executive-board-members-discuss-samsung-cinema-led-screen

QuoteThe Cinema LED screen is the world's first LED screen designed to replace conventional projectors in cinemas. The new screen, which has overcome limits in brightness and a light-to-shade ratio, supports 4K resolution and high dynamic range (HDR), thus producing clear and vivid color. In addition, directly beamed LED light sources prevent color distortions, giving fuller realization to what directors originally intended to express. The innovative screen installed with JBL sound systems of Harmon Kardon provides viewers with a whole new level of audio experience.

Film technology is constantly developing in the digital era. However, film screening is still based on projection, which has served as an obstacle in realizing true and lifelike high-quality resolution. Against this backdrop, the arrival of a Cinema LED screen was a breath of fresh air for the ARRI Executive Board.

The Cinema LED screen boasts an advantage that viewers experience no distortion in images and sound, wherever in the theater they choose to sit. After confirming this for himself by moving from seat to seat in the theater, Kraus expressed full satisfaction with the technology.

wilder

I'll be curious to see if this is widely implemented. My biggest personal concern in regards to the image is proper black levels - nothing bugs me more about a projected image in a theater than a wall directly next to the screen revealing that the "blacks" in the projected image are actually gray in comparison. This is never a problem with 35mm projection, as there's an absence of light rather than a pixel. I'd rather see a scratched and wobbly print with proper black levels than a pristine and stable DCP that looks like it was set out in the sun too long.

I'm at a point where aside from the benefit of seeing a movie as early as possible in its initial release, and the element of the theatrical setting forcing you to submit to the pace of a story without the ability to pause, I'd rather just watch a movie at home.

wilberfan

Is the "black" part of a projected image really black though?  It's a good point that the celluloid doesn't allow any light thru that part of the frame, but wouldn't 'ambient' light fill-in, reflect-onto the 'black' part of the image while it's on the screen? I've never thought about black-levels on a projected image, so I'm at dolt-levels on this issue...  I imagine there are a myriad of factors that affect perceived black levels in a large, projected image.

wilder

Honestly I don't know the nitty-gritty science, I just know that it looks really, really different. I'm sure you're right on some level. At the Phantom Thread screening I went to, which I was unaware was going to be 35mm, it was immediately apparent as soon as it started that it looked different and better than anything I'd seen theatrically in the past six months.

Also, this occurred to me the other day - my initial thoughts on seeing a 35mm projection of Inherent Vice:

Quote from: wilder on October 05, 2014, 01:07:03 AMI need to rewatch the trailer but I feel like it was color timed to appear more like a normal movie, the picture I saw up on that screen felt such a departure from it. Maybe the trailer difference was my imagination.

and matt35mm discussing Phantom Thread:

Quote from: matt35mm on December 09, 2017, 11:20:51 PMWe talked a little bit about how the film went through 3 coloring processes (digital for the DCP, color timing for the 35mm, a separate round of color timing for the 70mm, which was also done for THE MASTER and INHERENT VICE).

wilberfan

I must admit, I've never really paid any attention to things like that. 

I specifically went to the Chinese Theater last Summer to see "Dunkirk" because of some new-fangled digital laser projection system that reportedly had the best black-levels of any digital projection system out there.  I found myself emotionally disengaged from the film at about the one hour mark--so I had plenty of opportunity to look at things like black-levels, but I didn't.  (I kept checking my watch, tho!)  It would interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.

My only recent thoughts about film-vs-digital is when I went to the New Bev to see "Boogie Nights" a couple of years ago.  I've studied every frame of that film (almost literally), but I only noticed how scratched & "soft" the image looked compared to what I was used to (DVD/Blu-ray releases.)   Really the only specific thing I noticed was that I could clearly read the brand name of the cigarettes Maggie was smoking in the digital releases--but was too soft to make out in the 35mm print that night.

I saw Phantom Thread on celluloid--but black levels were the LAST thing I was paying any attention to that afternoon.

wilder

Quote from: wilberfan on December 19, 2017, 06:29:02 PMI specifically went to the Chinese Theater last Summer to see "Dunkirk" because of some new-fangled digital laser projection system that reportedly had the best black-levels of any digital projection system out there

I've heard about those but haven't seen anything projected by them. May be worth seeking out...

Quote from: wilberfan on December 19, 2017, 06:29:02 PMI saw Phantom Thread on celluloid--but black levels were the LAST thing I was paying any attention to that afternoon.

Confession: I only saw about 5 minutes of the actual movie. I was just so transfixed on the wall. Can't wait to see it again and see that sexy black wall, again. God, what a wall, you dark seductress.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilder on December 19, 2017, 06:36:51 PM
Confession: I only saw about 5 minutes of the actual movie. I was just so transfixed on the wall. Can't wait to see it again and see that sexy black wall, again. God, what a wall, you dark seductress.
You're right.  Just came from a Last Jedi screening, and there was a look-how-awesome-we-are prelude by Dolby (or whoever it was in charge of the projection process.)  They had a few seconds of side-by-side of 'standard' black and their black.  Yes, their's was blacker.  But remembering your wall-worship, I quickly looked to the right.  Indeed, she was blackest of them all...

jenkins

first i was trying to find "The Book of Henry" on xixax, using google, but i ended up on this site that's xixax.biz, okay, and i was curious about this place, looking around it, thinking it was funny that it seemed movie related. i clicked Movies, English, i scrolled. i found Zootopia, which i'd wanted to see before. and i really liked the opening. but then i was like, wait. i could tell, you know. but i couldn't say what movie it was. so i used the end credits to find out about Agent F.O.X..

it all felt semi-exciting to me at the time. this is the Agent F.O.X. synopsis

QuoteSuper spy Agent F.O.X. arrives in Carrot Town with one objective: infiltrate the community of friendly rabbits and locate a mysterious artifact. But the mission goes awry when the secret agent is mistaken for a distant cousin.

i'm 100% uncertain about why this is its imdb photo

trailer

true story

jenkins

YouTube snags Eminem-produced satirical rap film Bodied

QuoteBodied, a satirical hip-hop film produced by rapper Eminem, will get a public release on YouTube. The company announced its acquisition of the movie today, along with a preview of the film at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21st. A theatrical release will follow later in 2018, and Bodied will also play on YouTube Red, the company's streaming subscription service.

Drenk

Quote from: jenkins on January 17, 2018, 09:05:26 PM
YouTube snags Eminem-produced satirical rap film Bodied

QuoteBodied, a satirical hip-hop film produced by rapper Eminem, will get a public release on YouTube. The company announced its acquisition of the movie today, along with a preview of the film at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21st. A theatrical release will follow later in 2018, and Bodied will also play on YouTube Red, the company's streaming subscription service.

I've seen it, by the way, it's nice.
Ascension.

Sleepless

This is a really worthwhile read about how FB used to be about allowing people (and filmmakers and potential audiences) to find each other organically and build communities, but now makes anyone with a page (such as an indie filmmaker) PAY so that their followers - people who have chosen to follow them on FB - will actually see their post.

Facebook Was Vital For Indie Filmmakers. Now Their Followers Are Held Hostage, and the Ransom Keeps Changing
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Neill Blomkamp Is Crowdfunding an Indie Studio That Will Make a 'Firebase' Feature

The "District 9" director sees Pixar and video game distribution as models for building a sustainable community for Oats Studios.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/neill-blomkamp-crowdfunding-firebase-oats-studios-1201951115/
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.