TWBB DVD

Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2008, 02:28:24 PM

MacGuffin

There Will Be Blood: 2-Disc Collector's Edition (2008)
BLOOD COMPLEX: Our critic was disappointed by Paul Thomas Anderson's oil drama There Will Be Blood (Daniel Day-Lewis, pictured) — until multiple viewings convinced him it's a classic
Release Date: Apr 08, 2008; Rated: R; Genre: Drama; With: Paul Dano and Daniel Day-Lewis; Distributor: Paramount Vantage
By Gregory Kirschling; EW

The first time I sat through There Will Be Blood, I wasn't impressed. On initial appraisal, Paul Thomas Anderson's oil drama seemed willfully disagreeable and far too long, with little of the flash or exuberance or life of his previous epics, Boogie Nights (1997) and Magnolia (1999), two movies I've long adored. Blood didn't feel like a P.T. Anderson movie; it played like subpar Kubrick. And wasn't Daniel Day-Lewis — as plummy-voiced tycoon Daniel Plainview — just channeling Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York? What went wrong here? During that first viewing, the word that clanged in my head repeatedly was weird. The word that stuck with me after it ended? Disappointing.

Then — over the course of taking in the entire film a second and third time in theaters, and, finally, a fourth time on DVD — I realized that I'm an idiot. There Will Be Blood is an irritable, mysterious masterpiece, and as beautiful as any ugly movie may ever get. Anderson, it turns out, has crafted an epic so unsentimental, so uneager to be loved, that its mighty emotional and cinematic power might accidentally roll right past you the first go-round. As Plainview furiously plumbs the earth for oil in a sandy California outpost called Little Boston, the story pits Day-Lewis' dirty capitalist against Paul Dano's pious man of God — giant millennial force versus giant millennial force, set for a last-scene showdown in a bowling alley, a satirically ridiculous 20th-century arena. But also keep your eye on the dynamic between Plainview and his young son and business partner, H.W. (Dillon Freasier, a sweet but eerie presence). What eluded me the first time I watched Blood, and has hit me hard every time since, is how slyly gnarled, intimate, and draining their relationship is. The whole movie is like a sneak attack, because buried under the potentially off-putting brazenness of it all — of Day-Lewis' Oscar-winning volcanic theatrics, of Jonny Greenwood's screechy but extraordinary score, of Anderson's entire conception — is a deceptively simple story to leave you sad and off balance.

Is it a problem that Anderson is nowhere to be found on the extras? The second disc features two fine deleted scenes, plus an absorbing newsreel and historical slide show on the early-20th-century oil boom, but no commentary track and no making-of featurette. Which, I submit, is just as it should be. In a ''Dailies Gone Wild'' clip, Day-Lewis and Freasier break character and bust up at the end of a shot — and something about it slightly dissipates the spell of the film. If you're Anderson, maybe you don't make a movie this befuddling, this inexplicable, and yet this confident and even defiant, and then do anything but let it speak for itself — whether people like it or not. A
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i'm reading several bitching comments about the packaging and discs being scratched on imdb.
anyone here have the real deal and confirm/deny?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Red Vine

Quote from: bigideas on April 08, 2008, 10:52:51 AM
i'm reading several bitching comments about the packaging and discs being scratched on imdb.

My dvd plays perfectly (which I got from Best Buy). The case is thinner than what I expected but I like the packaging.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Red Vine on April 08, 2008, 01:23:16 PM

My dvd plays perfectly (which I got from Best Buy). The case is thinner than what I expected but I like the packaging.

yeah, i bought one there during lunch as well.
i have yet to open it though.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on April 08, 2008, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: The Red Vine on April 08, 2008, 01:23:16 PM

yeah, i bought one there during lunch as well.
i have yet to open it though.

Got mine from Target and it played fine. Love the packaging, especially the bible looking inner case and the "I'm an oil man" excerpt from the novel, but wish it wasn't so flimsy. Should have been more durable like the PDL DVD.

The sound (of note are the opening blast and the derrick fire scenes) and picture are beautiful.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

last days of gerry the elephant

All in good condition here too.

tpfkabi

yeah, i think the packaging is pretty cool and unique.
i really don't see how people are scratching them.
i think it would be obvious not to put your finger nail on the bottom of the dvd while trying to get it out (the only way i think it could get scratched).

I Love a Magician

"You got a great chanct here ladies and gentlemen"

private witt

This is unrelated to the DVD other than after being able to write down stuff at home after watching the disk.   I wrote this up tonight, and I hope all of you host screenings with your friends where you try this.  Here we go:

1. Drink once for every time a man dies in the shaft.

2. Drink once for every time Daniel takes a drink.

3. Drink twice every time H.W. takes a drink.

4. Drink once for every time somebody SAYS the word 'blood'.

5. Drink twice for every time somebody SINGS the word 'blood'.

6. Drink once for every time Eli Sunday says the word 'ghost'.

7. Drink twice for every time Eli Sunday says the phrase 'get our of here, ghost".

8. Drink once for every time somebody open-hand slaps somebody else in the face. (this will take   some work, because sometimes this happens in rapid succession :)

9. Drink three times for each time Daniel is woken up from a drunken stupor.

10. Drink once every time something is on fire.

11. Last but not least, drink four times every time Daniel bowls a bowling ball.

"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

bonanzataz

this isn't right. I shouldn't be allowed to watch this movie on a television screen.

I'm gonna upload it onto my iPhone to watch it the way it was meant to be seen.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

fulty

Quote from: bonanzataz on April 12, 2008, 02:43:05 AM
... iPhone ....

Heh...good one..!!

'swhy I'm holdin out for Blu-ray.

Even so, after the theatre experience, and being so enthralled at the bright beautiful cinematography, I'm not sure how any DVD will compare.

PS...someone's drinking a whole lot of milkshakes.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

72teeth

Quote from: private witt on April 10, 2008, 03:18:17 AM

1. Drink once for every time a man dies in the shaft.

2. Drink once for every time Daniel takes a drink.

3. Drink twice every time H.W. takes a drink.

4. Drink once for every time somebody SAYS the word 'blood'.

5. Drink twice for every time somebody SINGS the word 'blood'.

6. Drink once for every time Eli Sunday says the word 'ghost'.

7. Drink twice for every time Eli Sunday says the phrase 'get our of here, ghost".

8. Drink once for every time somebody open-hand slaps somebody else in the face. (this will take   some work, because sometimes this happens in rapid succession :)

9. Drink three times for each time Daniel is woken up from a drunken stupor.

10. Drink once every time something is on fire.

11. Last but not least, drink four times every time Daniel bowls a bowling ball.[/b]

Hey witt, thanks, this was fun.... Im dead now, but yeah, this was fun...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

tpfkabi

Quote from: I Love a Magician on April 08, 2008, 11:20:27 PM
"You got a great chanct here ladies and gentlemen"

It was a good choice to leave all the "fellers" out of the dialog as well.

©brad

dude this packaging blows! i mean yeah i think it looks cool and i like the bible-esque inner case but this thing is put together like crap. as soon as i opened it both dvds immediately fell to the floor, and the cheap glue holding the flaps down already came apart. :(

tpfkabi

Quote from: ©bradatouille on April 14, 2008, 08:53:41 AM
dude this packaging blows! i mean yeah i think it looks cool and i like the bible-esque inner case but this thing is put together like crap. as soon as i opened it both dvds immediately fell to the floor, and the cheap glue holding the flaps down already came apart. :(

that's weird. my dvd's were quite firmly in there as it's kinda tight.
i'm pleased with the packaging and the features.
i don't understand why they didn't put the campfire deleted scene - i never got around to watching it.
i wouldn't have minded some stuff from paul or behind the scenes stuff, but i guess he's just interested in letting the film speak for itself.