Before Sunset

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:30:24 AM

MacGuffin

Release Date: July 2nd, 2004 (limited release)

Cast: Ethan Hawke (Jesse), Julie Delpy (Celine)

Director: Richard Linklater (Before Sunrise, The School of Rock, Slacker, Waking Life, Dazed and Confused)

Screenwriter: Richard Linklater (Slacker, Dazed and Confused), Julie Delpy (Looking for Jimmy), Ethan Hawke (screenwriting debut)

Based Upon: This is the sequel to the 1995 film, Before Sunrise, also directed by Richard Linklater and starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. Their characters also appeared together (in bed) in a sequence in Linklater animated (and philosophy-soaked) drama, Waking Life.

Premise: Nine years after he first met and hung out with her for a single night, American author Jesse (Hawke) once again meets up with Celine (Delpy) in Paris while there on a book tour.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

I really need to see Before Sunrise...

edison

Me too, and i really like this poster.

SoNowThen

If I had a second chance, I'd brain Ethan Hawke and steal sweet Julie Delpy away. And I sure as hell wouldn't waste two hours of my life on another Linklater movie...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Rudie Obias

i'm kinda torn between this film.  i love BEFORE SUNRISE!  its currently number 7 on my all time top 10 list.  so i love love love this film.  i'm kinda excited to see another linklater/hakwe/delpy film but i really loved how BEFORE sunrise ended....

SPOILER!!!!!

i really like how "up in the air" ending of the first film.  i like to think that they don't meet up again in 6 months.  (although i'm wrong because of WAKING LIFE)  i like how interesting and romantic one perfect day with another person can be.  and if they extent that perfect day to another day than it makes it less perfect.  oh well, i'll probably see this new linklater film and love it.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Raikus

Quote from: EEz28Me too, and i really like this poster.
Second on the poster.

I've never seen Before Sunrise either. I'll have to check it out.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

El Duderino

i heart richard linklater and julie deply. could go either way with ethan hawke, but i'll check it out regardless
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

pete

ethan hawke owes America an apology for breaking the heart of Uma.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Fernando

Quote from: peteethan hawke owes America an apology for breaking the heart of Uma.

He ows an apology to the world of cinema when he criticised Kubrick for doing many takes in The Shining.

cine

He owes an apology to me for not returning my calls after that one night stand two summers ago.

picolas

He owes me an apology for when I was talking to him once and he was like "--Could you throw me my keys?" and I was like "Yeah. Sure." but i was seriously RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of a sentence when he said it and i forgot what i was talking about. And he didn't even bring it up on the way to his house. I kept on sighing like something was wrong and he just ignored me. Then halfway there, he turns on the radio and pulls down his window and starts humming. What a shithead.

modage

i didnt care for before sunrise that much.  this poster is okay.  its funny that even meandering-character-based-dialoguedriven-'indie'-type films now have sequels.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

Saw Before Sunrise tonight. I really liked it. I'm a bit torn with this, as I'd like to know what happens but it could very well ruin the first one.

The Perineum Falcon

I rented Before Sunrise this weekend and I liked it, for the most part. Jesse began to annoy the shit out of me though. I dunno how Celine did it, I don't think I could spend 24 hours with this guy talking non-stop, and yet she does it again!
But it was funny and I'll have to see Waking Life and Sunset now.

And it'll be interesting to see how Linklater's Antoine and Christine turns out. Hopefully it won't end in another 'Love on the Run.'
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

mutinyco

Quote from: peteethan hawke owes America an apology for breaking the heart of Uma.

You owe me an apology for saying something so silly.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe