What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

peaceisourprofession

"I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." - Mother Theresa
excerpt from her nobel prize acceptance speech

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Two Lane Blacktop

Citizen K : The Deeply Weird American Journey of Brett Kimberlin
by Mark Singer

I work with a guy who knew Brett Kimberlin, and he's making me read this so he can tell me what HE knows about this story. He says.  (Kimberlin is the guy who says he used to sell pot to Dan Quayle way back when; the book is written by a reporter from The New Yorker who tried to break the story back in the 1980s, with only partial success.).  It's not my usual fare, but it IS fairly entertaining.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Stefen

how many people have said they are reading xixax in this thread?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Stefenhow many people have said they are reading xixax in this thread?

The joke isn't funny, but it's all yours if you want to say it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: Ginger
i watched that movie a few weeks ago.  it was good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ultrahip

The Stranger by Albert Camus

[/i]

Slimepuppy

Quote from: MacGuffin

:yabbse-thumbup:  :bravo:

Read that for my dissertation on Night of the Living Dead. Talk about fun research... Though don't you think it gets a bit creepy after a while, 'cause he never plays it as a joke? I know I did.

I am now currently juggling several books (for fun and research):

Douglas Coupland - Life After God
Glen Duncan - I, Lucifer
Albert Camus - The Outsider
A.W.Yrjänä - Somnia
Hyvässä indie-elokuvassa tulee olla zombi, moottorisaha ja ninjoja.

Sara Shagal

Roman by Polanski for the 3rd or 4th time.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

atticus jones

the gospel according to thomas
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

mogwai

what do you think of it, cecil?

Cecil

im about 2/3 through and so far its very cool. but i was told that the rest isnt as great because its only about pam anderson

xerxes