INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Right, most of us were worried about Adam Sandler for a minute.

Pozer

Only thing that's still a bit off-putting for me is Greasy Reesey. He's been hung up on that broad since his love for FEAR for some reason. Not sure if she's still cunty behind the scenes but have never had any interest in her.

md

Watch Election you pig fuck.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

SailorOfTheSeas

Ahh, I really hope a trailer or a teaser drops soon. Hopefully around Mid may. Even just a poster will do it for me.

Just a question, are spoilers from the book allowed on this thread or shall i start a new thread where those who have read the book can discuss that kind of shit?

Reel

Just use a spoiler warning if you're going to talk about the book.

WELCOME!

Introduce Yourself

SailorOfTheSeas

Thanks Reelist.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/josh-brolin-says-inherent-vice-goes-in-a-direction-that-the-book-doesnt-necessarily-go-20140329 I found this article really interesting.

While we know this wont be like Oil! , where PTA used the book as a foundation to do his own thang, now we know that it also wont be an absolutely straight adaptation. For those that have read the book, what different direction do you lot reckon this will be? I wonder if its something as big as a whole new branch of the story or or just an atmosphere or feel that the film will portray differently.

Personally I'm expecting the film to be more noticeably non-linear than the book. For example, like how The Master feels like a dream, IV will feel like a big fluid tour guided puzzle of scenes in the past and present. The dude that described it as a mix of the long goodbye and the big lebowski made it seem like it was prominently nonlinear. The book has a framework that has many flashbacks and stuff but still feels like a pretty linear tale. Perhaps that could be the new direction that Brolin talks about. 

What do u lot think?

SailorOfTheSeas

Ive got a question for you guys, and im not sure if i belongs here but here it goes. How many more films do you think PTA has in him? IV will be his 7th. I personally can't see him going beyond 12 films.

Lottery

That's impossible to say right now.  He's at an interesting stage of his career, he's seemingly broken out of that five year gap thing but who knows what may fellow. He can be as prolific as he wants as long he's making the good stuff.

But just for fun...14.

Axolotl

I can't wait for when he joins a Transcendental Meditation pyramid scheme.

SailorOfTheSeas

That would be one hell of a soundtrack, if all those were included.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lumumbaz/playlists

this is a pretty good playlist that includes a big chunk of the songs mentioned. it's good to put you in that IV mood, as is fun to read the book to. I think some of the songs that play at the parties, cafes, in peoples houses, or just on the radio during important scenes or moments in the book will be in the film. Similar to how Boogie Nights used it's soundtrack at the parties etc. Most of the time the music, save a few moments like with "God Only Knows", was playing inside the world WITH the characters rather than externally. I reckon it'll be some of these songs that are mentioned playing inside the film's world, mixed with Jonny Greenwood's soundtrack playing externally. Gonna be killer.

NGL I really think this could be PTA's best film yet. From what im speculating so far, it's: Got the ensemble massive cast and groovy yet also dark and twisted vibe of Boogie Nights. It's got the large scale quirkiness of Magnolia. The epic narrative scope of There Will Be Blood. The non-linear hazy dreamlike style of The Master. A soundtrack that will seemingly be a mix of every PTA film so far (variation of pops songs [BN and Magnolia] , romantic Greenwood score [magnolia, PDL mixed with Master and TWBB]) . All this as well as its own character and fresh originality that will surely impress us when it comes out.  Never been so excited for a film.

N

So are we going to count it as 2014 for the awards or not?
Cause I wan't 3 years of JP.

polkablues

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

If it gets a limited release in 2014, I can't imagine how it would not count for 2014.

SailorOfTheSeas

Yeah, Her had a similar type of release, and it pretty much was in limited release until early 2014... it came here, in the UK, in march-april. Same with Inside Llewyn Davis. And Her won best film for 2013 here, so Inherent Vice will be the same, i can imagine.

I think it's pretty safe to say that unless IH is total shit, it will win best film here too. 3 year streak for JP :) i wonder if anything will come out in 2015 that will continue it?