Paul Bettany

Started by Finn, July 31, 2004, 02:19:29 PM

Finn

I really like this guy. He's a strong actor who's done movies like Master & Commander, Dogville and he's got the romantic comedy Wimbledon coming out in September. I thought his best performance was in Dogville as Tom. Or maybe that's just because I really liked that character. He was great at being a weak pretentious wannabe writer.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Jeremy Blackman

He was even better in A Knight's Tale.

rustinglass

And he's got an even better wife.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

coffeebeetle

HAH!  That's nothing, my friend.  His hermit crab's got BACK:

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Just Withnail

:lol:

But, so as not to let this thread vanish into the long line of Xixax stupidity, here are some serious thoughts on Paul Bettany:

It's nice and refreshing too get a "new" - even though he's been in movies quite a few years now, I still think of him as fairly recent -  face that actually seems to have a few years behind the eyes, and not just the flawor of the month Asthon Kutcher-type. He's never been bad, and when he's good, he's exellent (see: Dogville, and though I haven't seen the film myself, SoNowThen mentioned his turn in Ganster No.1 as a Favorite All Time Performance).

Sleuth

Last week this guy came to my door and he had red hair and an English accent, and he said he was from Cambridge, and that he's going around my town selling books to kids in school.  He was wearing an Umbro polo shirt and some Khaki shorts and he reminded me of Paul Bettany.
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SleuthLast week this guy came to my door and he had red hair and an English accent, and he said he was from Cambridge, and that he's going around my town selling books to kids in school.  He was wearing an Umbro polo shirt and some Khaki shorts and he reminded me of Paul Bettany.

:lol: ........sounds like one of those vacationing pseudo-euro  jahova[sp!] witnesses

Sleuth

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: SleuthLast week this guy came to my door and he had red hair and an English accent, and he said he was from Cambridge, and that he's going around my town selling books to kids in school.  He was wearing an Umbro polo shirt and some Khaki shorts and he reminded me of Paul Bettany.

:lol: ........sounds like one of those vacationing pseudo-euro  jahova[sp!] witnesses

He was real though, because of his Umbro shirt.  and I forgot to tell the end of the story:  I pointed out houses on my street that had school children in them.  I think he said his name was Ben, can anyone confirm this?
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Bettany finds right 'Element' for Warners

Paul Bettany is in final negotiations to star opposite Harrison Ford in "The Wrong Element" for Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow. Penned by Joe Forte, the project revolves around the kidnapping of the wife and daughter of a security expert (Ford), who is forced to steal a vast sum of money from a bank he's protecting in order to ransom his family. As his efforts come to the attention of law enforcement officials, he races to complete the illegal transfer of funds in time. Bettany would play Ford's nemesis. Warners and Village are co-financing the project, with Beacon Communications topper Armyan Bernstein producing alongside Jon Shestack, who has a deal at the studio. Village's Bruce Berman is executive producing. Jeff Clifford is the studio executive. Bettany, repped by ICM and the Personal Management Company, next stars in "Wimbledon." He has appeared in "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World," "A Beautiful Mind," and "A Knight's Tale."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinPaul Bettany is in final negotiations to star opposite Harrison Ford
bad move.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: MacGuffinPaul Bettany is in final negotiations to star opposite Harrison Ford
bad move.

You said it, man.
Si

mogwai

"why did i do dogville?"

rustinglass

That bit in the documentary is great

"stay! stay!"
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Finn

Quote from: rustinglassThat bit in the documentary is great

"stay! stay!"

It was hilarious when Lars takes Paul aside to discuss how many smiles he had in one scene. For those who haven't seen it, it goes something like this:

LVT: I had three tiny smiles...

Bettany: Yeah but there were times when I was smiling when...

LVT: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know....just calm down. Listen to me. Don't defend yourself.

Bettany: I'm not defending myself. I just can't....

LVT: This is a compliment, for Christ's sake!

Bettany: Yeah, I know. I'm just discussing it with you.

LVT: Well there's nothing to discuss. Just say "thank you mr. director, I'm glad you like my performance."

Bettany: Thank you mr. director, I'm glad you like my performance
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."