Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow

Started by Ghostboy, December 17, 2003, 02:28:24 AM

Ghostboy

www.skycaptain.com

Holy shit, this movie looks amazing. I know I say that about every fourth trailer I say, but seriously...this is way too cool for school. It looks like a massive sci fi film as directed by Guy Maddin after he watched The Iron Giant a dozen times. This is now my most anticipated summer movie, no question.

Pwaybloe

Yeah, I know.  What I found to be fascinating is that this movie is the director's first feature.  

Here's some info I found on how he got the job and his technique:

Director Notes: (2/13/03) Very little is known about Kerry Cornan, except that he (or she?) is 29 years old, and wrote some sort of "incredible software" to go along with the script that impressed producer Aurelio De Laurentiis (Leviathan) enough that he got the wheels rolling to get this project a $60 million dollar budget. What sort of software could it have been... and who exactly is Kerry Conran?

(4/17/03) A few different people have written in to answer at least one of those questions, but I forgot to post it here. Kerry is definitely a "he". The bigger questions remain unanswered.

(5/17/03) Not anymore, they don't. The Los Angeles Times has revealed that Kerry Cornan is a CalArts graduate, and his software is a CGI program that allows him to shoot his entire movie against blue screens, and fill in the backgrounds later with images he's been working on for years, which are mostly already done. What this allows Conran to do, which is what is so revolutionary, is to have an already existing 3-D storyboard of every scene, with stick figures in place where the actors are supposed to be. Now, all he has to do is stick in his cast, and he's basically done, it sounds like.

russiasusha

Where's the trailor

I feel like i'm in hell
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

russiasusha

The trailer is cool everybody, don't worry...........
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Ahhh, that was neat but this could easily be very bad.
I like to hug dogs

The Perineum Falcon

It's different enough to garauntee my sev' fi'ty.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

without watching the spoilerful trailer/tool-of-the-devil, i just know this will be FRAMETASTIC.
under the paving stones.

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

picolas

i'm very excited.

name one bad movie so far that featured both the words "Sky" and "Captain" in its title.

Raikus

Very cool. I'm looking forward to this one. I'm also really interested in how it was made (blue screens and 3D CGI).
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gamblour.

Quote from: RaikusVery cool. I'm looking forward to this one. I'm also really interested in how it was made (blue screens and 3D CGI).

IMDb says he wrote a program that allows him to shoot all his actors in front of a blue screen (reportedly they filmed it in seven days) and then fill in the background with what he needs. The info was pretty vague.

I'm sorry, but I hate blue screen and the blue screen in this trailer was really awful. Might be too early to judge, but it looked a LOT like this Star Wars movie my friends tried to do, as far as blue screen quality goes. It seemed to have the dv 'look' and I really hate how dv looks, though it's good at getting small things done. This movie looks pretty bad to me.
WWPTAD?

modage

Quote from: Ghostboywww.skycaptain.com

Holy shit, this movie looks amazing. I know I say that about every fourth trailer I say, but seriously...this is way too cool for school. It looks like a massive sci fi film as directed by Guy Maddin after he watched The Iron Giant a dozen times. This is now my most anticipated summer movie, no question.

HOLY SHIT, you're right!  i'd skipped this topic the past few days because i didnt know what the hell it was cause when i first saw ROTK the trailer didnt play.  but today it did  and HOLY SHIT!  this just jumped WAY WAY up on my to do list for next year.  i was blown away by the fucking trailer.  like, i didnt know something this cool existed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.