The Sopranos

Started by SoNowThen, November 19, 2003, 02:34:59 PM

Stefen

What a bunch of dorks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

You're a bunch of dorks. :yabbse-angry:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

©brad

picolas

i don't think i've ever posted here because i've always been behind.

i want to buy the whole show so badly right now and the announcement says Xmas '08.

i've heard no discussion of the moment Tony walks into the diner, looks at a table, no one is there, he squints a little, sees himself sitting there, cut to his next self, and the leather jacket self is never seen again. it's too weird to be just a transition. could it be a precognition of some kind? a time warp?

at first my thoughts about the ending were that the most technically supported idea is that it was the exact final moment of his life, but it's also meant to be whatever you want it to be. after hearing Chase say "[it's all there in that ep]", and rewatching it a bunch of times, i'm beginning to think it's just the last moment of his life. and it's done in probably the most brilliant way possible.

72teeth

Quote from: picolas on June 23, 2007, 02:46:39 PM

i've heard no discussion of the moment Tony walks into the diner, looks at a table, no one is there, he squints a little, sees himself sitting there, cut to his next self, and the leather jacket self is never seen again. it's too weird to be just a transition. could it be a precognition of some kind? a time warp?

i think EW dismissed this rumor... just goofy (intentional?) editing...

Quote from: picolas on June 23, 2007, 02:46:39 PM

i want to buy the whole show so badly right now and the announcement says Xmas '08.

fuckers.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

picolas

Quote from: 72teeth on June 23, 2007, 04:25:25 PM
i think EW dismissed this rumor... just goofy (intentional?) editing...
it's not just editing, though. there's a shot of no one at a table, then tony at the table. and tony enters with a jacket, stops, and there's a close up of him looking as though he's seeing himself and he doesn't understand what's going on.

Kal

The Sopranos: The Complete Series, featuring all six seasons plus bonus materials, will be out in stores from HBO Video on November 11th. The set also includes a 56-page album enclosed in a sleek black linen box and two CD soundtracks on three discs.

This is very cool and I'm happy I only own 1 season on DVD so far. I definitely want to get this. Too bad the thing will cost $399, but I thinks its definitely worth it. I keep watching episodes on HBO On Demand every now and then and this is definitely one of the best shows ever.

SiliasRuby

I've known about this for a while and hope to get it for my birthday....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

RegularKarate

there's absolutely no price-break there... HBO always has us by the balls.

john

Shit... when I was buying season by season - each one had a list price of $100, and I'd end up paying between $65 - $80 each set.

All in all, I probably spent nearly $500 to get all six seasons... including the bullshit HBO pulled splitting up the final season into two sets.

HBO's prices are still a bit obscene and archaic, considering how cheaply most non-Criterion DVDs can be procured for... but I'm envious that any motherfucker who doesn't have this show will probably end up getting the whole thing for around $250, probably.

Me, I'll just have to wait until the inevitable $500 Blu-Ray collection comes out and I'm suckered into buying the episodes I already own all over again.

Nifty looking case, though.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome.

'Sopranos' creator David Chase returns to HBO with miniseries on early Hollywood
10:26 AM PT, Mar 16 2009

David Chase, whose series "The Sopranos" helped shape HBO's reputation for high-impact dramas, is bringing another project to the network: a period miniseries about the birth and growth of Hollywood.

"A Ribbon of Dreams" will tell the story of two men with disparate backgrounds who get their start in motion pictures working for director D.W. Griffith. The men — one a college-educated mechanical engineer and the other a cowboy with a violent past — ultimately work with the likes of John Ford, Bette Davis and Billy Wilder as they rise through the nascent film industry.

Chase will write and executive-produce the miniseries and direct the initial episodes, HBO announced today. Paramount Pictures Chief Executive Brad Grey, who served as executive producer of "The Sopranos" with Chase, will also executive-produce "A Ribbon of Dreams."

"It gives me pleasure to think of working, together with Brad, with HBO, again," Chase said in a statement. "These are all people who, obviously, occupy a special place in my heart."

The miniseries takes its name from Orson Welles' description of a film as "a ribbon of dreams." Starting in 1913, the series will trace Hollywood's evolution from the purveyor of silent westerns to the powerhouse global industry of today.

"For seven years, David Chase dazzled and entertained the world with 'The Sopranos,' " said Richard Plepler, co-president of HBO. "He's a remarkable talent, and we're very excited to be working with both David and Brad again."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

Yeah, I'm very happy about it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alexandro

oh my god.

it took me about a year and half to watch this complete with my father. i'm fucking shocked at how brilliant this whole thing was.
I really can't find no flaws in it. it's just THAT good.
I've read some complaints about the writing, but really, that's like Julian Schnabble says in Sketches with Frank Ghery about Apocalypse Now: "You don't watch that and complain Robert Duvall is over the top".

As others have pointed out, the show's greatest strength was precisely in it's writing. There was no standout character and therefore no standout performance. Everyone is equally perfect. This is sensational for how massive it is.

And the ending really puts everything in perspective. It's one of the greatest endings ever to anything. It more than matched expectations for me. I've read some of the different theories and well, to each his own, but it's a pretty straightforward ending if you ask me, and thematically it's just too perfect.

Now I wanna watch the whole thing again. But I'm about to start on The Wire.

Reel

I never watched that either, think I'm gonna swing for a Sopranos, Wire torrent frenzy tonight.