77th Annual Academy Awards - Winners Listed on Page 10

Started by MacGuffin, October 14, 2004, 02:00:15 PM

MacGuffin

Oscars Rocking with Rock

With Billy Crystal back in Oscar retirement, it's now up to Chris Rock to keep things lively on Hollywood's biggest night.

The wicked-tongued joke-slinger has been handed the reins for the 77th Academy Awards, slated for Feb. 27 at the Kodak Theater and airing live on ABC.

"I am a huge fan of Chris Rock," said veteran Oscar producer Gil Cates, who's back for his 12th go-round helming the kudocast. "He always makes me laugh and he always has something interesting to say. Chris represents the best of the new generation of comics. Having him host the Oscars is terrific. I can't wait."

Although this is Rock's first stint as Oscar host, he's no stranger to emceeing chores, having held down the mike for the MTV Video Music Awards in 1999 and 2003 and serving as one of several presenter/hosts for the 1998 Emmy Awards.

Still, Rock will have some big Nielsens to fill. Crystal, the Motion Picture Academy's go-to guy with eight hosting appearances, helped this year's Return of the King-dominated ceremony to score its best numbers in four years, averaging 43.5 million viewers for the whole telecast.

In recent years when Crystal wasn't at the helm and Whoopi Goldberg and Steve Martin filled in, ratings had dipped. ABC and the Academy are hoping the always-edgy Rock will keep the viewership high and attract a younger demo to the telecast.

Rock, currently shooting a remake of The Longest Yard with Adam Sandler, was not immediately available for comment Thursday.

Best known for his three-year run on Saturday Night Live and his work on HBO, including The Chris Rock Show and stand-up specials like Bring the Pain, Rock has won three Emmys and two Grammys for his funny business.

His screen credits date back to Beverly Hills Cop II and include turns in Head of State, Bad Company, Down to Earth, Nurse Betty and Dogma.

Aside from The Longest Yard, Rock recently finished voice work for the big-screen CGI 'toon Madagascar. Both films are due out in May 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

hmmm... i like chris rock but this is a big job.  he seems more suited to the mtv awards then the academy awards but we'll see i guess....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Quote from: themodernage02hmmm... i like chris rock but this is a big job.  he seems more suited to the mtv awards then the academy awards but we'll see i guess....

true... i was so surprised to see this... but i like it!

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

rustinglass

I passed out for a few ours because I thought it was The Rock.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

Quote from: themodernage02hmmm... i like chris rock but this is a big job.  he seems more suited to the mtv awards then the academy awards but we'll see i guess....
No that just seems like its all he's good for. But I really hoped he would host the Oscars sooner than later. Good call, Oscar.

Stefen

chris rock is good. this will be good.  i hope he talks shit about all the shitty films that win "Garden state?! Garden state?! Boy, that movie was shitty just like new jersey!" haha I hope garden state wins.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cowboykurtis

if garden state gets a best picture nod thats a shame -- i thought black people werent allowed to host the white mans industry award show night -- i was told thats what BET was for -- not saying i agree, its just what a white guy told me on the train
...your excuses are your own...

hedwig

Quote from: cowboykurtisif garden state gets a best picture nod thats a shame -- i thought black people werent allowed to host the white mans industry award show night -- i was told thats what BET was for -- not saying i agree, its just what a white guy told me on the train

*scratches head*

Hmph.

Well, I'm a big big fan of Chris Rock And This news made me estatic. Wow, man. This should be amazing.

But if he makes a joke about forgetting what Eternal Sunshine was about, I'll jump out the window of a tall, tall building.

Naked.

Jeremy Blackman

picolas

hedwig

Quote from: picolas

Quotejust making things nice and not editable.

*scratches head*

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

Quote from: StefenThat is fucking weird.
Quote from: Stefen in the Next President threadI AM NEVER POSTING AGAIN!
Quote from: Hedwig on crack cocaineI apologize but this HTML stuff is so beautiful.

So Am I only the one here who loves Chris Rock so much?