Grind House

Started by MacGuffin, May 26, 2005, 12:11:11 AM

pete

Quote from: Alexandro on February 09, 2006, 12:14:15 PM
Well, sorry, but for me, making kung fu and zombie movies is a very safe place to be as a filmmaker after you made a masterpiece landmark film that changed the face of cinema in the 90's, and I'm talking only about Tarantino here. I was not saying that shooting kung fu sequences were not risky phisically, I meant as an artist. All this b-movie exercises are a safe place because no matter what, you can't really take this movies seriously. It's not a disrespectful thing, but in my view, Quentin Tarantino could be like a Kubrick or an Scorsese, not like George A. Romero. I hope anyways, that this zombie thing breaks free of the genre, instead of only being another homage. I wanna see Tarantino giving the finger to his references for once.

but then you show your preferencial treatment to different genre movies--like gangster movies are somehow less generic than zombie movies, and somehow gangster/ heist movies are more "serious" than the so-called b-movies.  B-movies is not a genre, it's a mode of production--if the production value and method is serious enough than it's just a kunfu movie or a zombie movie or a cowboy movie.  It's really strange that people who love Tarantino, who've never seen the films he's praised aside from maybe Goddard and Scorsese, would criticize his inspirations this harshly--like Tarantino really enjoys watching "trash", that's really patronizing, like he's some kinda genius with really low standards for films.
And I wasn't just talking about the "risk" of shooting a kungfu scene physically like for the actors and the stuntman, I'm saying, to shoot an entire sequence, in sequence, to shoot no masters, and everything in pieces, with hundreds of cuts and setups, and everything improvised on the spot, but still maintaining the same energy and story and continuity, is really difficult.  It's not just putting actors in front of a camera and have they swing at each other and film it with four cameras and cut everything together.
I still don't think kill bill was somehow safer than Pulp Fiction.  Pulp Fiction could bank on a lot of things, like a solid script, catchy dialogues, and the brilliant structure--the biggest risk it faced was the acting--if the actors were somehow not badass or hip enough then they'd seem really laughable, but an epic like Kill Bill really could fall on its face.  Once Upon a Time in Mexico did.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

Quote from: pete on February 10, 2006, 11:45:40 AM
Quote from: Alexandro on February 09, 2006, 12:14:15 PM
Well, sorry, but for me, making kung fu and zombie movies is a very safe place to be as a filmmaker after you made a masterpiece landmark film that changed the face of cinema in the 90's, and I'm talking only about Tarantino here. I was not saying that shooting kung fu sequences were not risky phisically, I meant as an artist. All this b-movie exercises are a safe place because no matter what, you can't really take this movies seriously. It's not a disrespectful thing, but in my view, Quentin Tarantino could be like a Kubrick or an Scorsese, not like George A. Romero. I hope anyways, that this zombie thing breaks free of the genre, instead of only being another homage. I wanna see Tarantino giving the finger to his references for once.

but then you show your preferencial treatment to different genre movies--like gangster movies are somehow less generic than zombie movies, and somehow gangster/ heist movies are more "serious" than the so-called b-movies.  B-movies is not a genre, it's a mode of production--if the production value and method is serious enough than it's just a kunfu movie or a zombie movie or a cowboy movie.  It's really strange that people who love Tarantino, who've never seen the films he's praised aside from maybe Goddard and Scorsese, would criticize his inspirations this harshly--like Tarantino really enjoys watching "trash", that's really patronizing, like he's some kinda genius with really low standards for films.
And I wasn't just talking about the "risk" of shooting a kungfu scene physically like for the actors and the stuntman, I'm saying, to shoot an entire sequence, in sequence, to shoot no masters, and everything in pieces, with hundreds of cuts and setups, and everything improvised on the spot, but still maintaining the same energy and story and continuity, is really difficult.  It's not just putting actors in front of a camera and have they swing at each other and film it with four cameras and cut everything together.
I still don't think kill bill was somehow safer than Pulp Fiction.  Pulp Fiction could bank on a lot of things, like a solid script, catchy dialogues, and the brilliant structure--the biggest risk it faced was the acting--if the actors were somehow not badass or hip enough then they'd seem really laughable, but an epic like Kill Bill really could fall on its face.  Once Upon a Time in Mexico did.

Its cool that you say that about genre pictures because people like Scorsese do exactly what I said, which is break free of the genre but at the same time play with their rules. Good Fellas is a gangster picture, and Pulp Fiction is one too, and both of those movies leave the genre behind at some point. Kill Bill is great, but it never surpasses the homage level, everything is filtered through other movies, everything is a reference, sometimes things are references of references. Tarantino can do whatever he wants and I'm sure he will keep being a great director, but he seems to be so interested in proving all of us the rest of the people who don't watch kung fu movies that kung fu movies, zombie movies, midnite tv shows and on and on can be great too. And not only that has been proven, it's also an unnecesary thing to prove. However I gotta say, I love Kill Bill 1. I had my problems with volume 2, but 1, for me, is terrific, and precisely for those reasons. But now this guy seems to just be around to give us vintage retro trips with movies, and he's capable of way much more than that.

The other thing is, every movie is a genre movie at heart. Even Taxi Driver is kind of a western, that's not the point. 2001 is a science fiction movie, and no one accuses kubrick of being in love with trash. But Tarantino seems to prefer to travel back in time and make you go: "oh, like in that movie" instead of showing you something, as the welles put it: "half original". But like I sai before, maybe his zombie movie will be the best fucking zombie movie ever, and maybe we will all shut up.

And Once Upon a Time in Mexico was supposed to be THAT bad. According to Rodriguez, it was a "churro" with a big budget. If you wanna see some "churros", check out movies by Mario Almada, or any of the Almada brothers, check out "Lola la Trailera", or movies with "Los Tigres del Norte". Those are mexican trash movies, and just because we have a good time with them and laugh at them, doesn't mean they're good or worthy of such reverence.

modage

Grind out a new date
Source: Weinstein Co

Those foaming at the mouth for Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's double-feature GRIND HOUSE (which apparently has switched back to using the original title) will have to wait a little while longer.

According to distributors the Weinstein Co., the film's release date has been bumped back a few months from September 22nd to December 1st, which just makes for fun holiday horror. It's wierd how the previous film that Tarantino was involved with (that would be Eli Roth's HOSTEL) had its own release date confusion before it was released. I wonder if we'll be bombarded with promo stuff for GRIND HOUSE like we were for HOSTEL? All things come to those who wait, it seems.

Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez each will direct a 75-minute horror tale including fake movie trailers in between both movies. Rodriguez's part, "Project Terror," will be a zombie pic, while Tarantino's section, "Death Proof," will be a slasher segment. Alicia Rachel Marek, John Jarrett and Danny Trejo are (so far) set to star.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

not-very-positive script review of tarantinos half Death Proof...

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=22846
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

GRIND THE BIEHN
Source: CHUD.com

Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez have remained remarkably tight-lipped when it comes to announcing cast members for their horror hybrid Grind House, and until we hear some official word we'll have to settle for rumors like this.

Robert Rodriguez is currently shooting his segment Project Terror down in Austin, and it seems as though he'll have none other than Terminator-hater Michael Biehn among his live humans. Sure it's not exactly an A-list catch, but both Rodriguez and Tarantino are renowned for reviving veteran genre actors, and tossing Biehn in the mix is a minor thrill for those of us who spent the 90s wearing out VHS copies of Aliens. And Hog Wild.

Rodriguez's half of the exploitation-style double-feature is a zombie tale (or "sickos" as they're apparently being called), and should provide plenty of messy bloodshed. Which is surprising, since it comes from the guy who demonstrated the subtleties of vampirism with From Dusk Til Dawn.

We previously heard that Sin City hottie Marley Shelton, Josh Brolin, Tom Savini and Danny Trejo are also among the cast, with Greg Nicotero and company handling all the glorious gore. Sadly, the movie has reportedly been shoved back to a December release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Don't Believe in Beatles

http://bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=6190&Template=newsfull

'Project Terror' Officially Shut Down... for Good?
Get more on Dimension | Posted 04.13.06 @ 09:24 pm ]

One of regular (and most reliable) scoopers dropped us a line this afternoon with some depressing news. According to our source Robert Rodriquez's "Project Terror" was officially shut down for good as of yesterday- the crew was let go and everything. It may gear up again next year, but who knows. Until then, there's no word on the fate of Tarantino's "Death Proof", which is scheduled to shoot in LA this summer. WeinsteinCo.'s Grind House double feature was scheduled to hit theaters December 1st, but it looks like we may be waiting until next year- but who knows maybe they'll pull a "Kill Bill" and 'Project Terror' will end up being a Volume 2 so to speak. Watch for an official statement in the coming weeks for official word. Rodriguez's part, "Project Terror," will be a zombie pic, while Tarantino's section, "Death Proof," will a slasher seg.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Ghostboy

Word on the street is, he's getting a divorce and having a nervous breakdown.

MacGuffin

Breaking News: Grind House NOT in trouble 
Source: Tarantino Archives

Several sources indicate, that the recent split of Robert Rodriguez from his wife and co-producer Elizabeth Avellán, possibly due to an affair with Rose McGowan, who is the lead actress of Rodriguez' Grind House half, has further consequences. Aside from Rumors, that Rodriguez is also battling health problems (which seems unrealistic, and as of now nothing of that has been confirmed), rumors are gathering up that Grind House's Planet Terror (Rodriguez' half) is up for an indefinite halt - which was already rumored earlier (Source). "Rodriguez apparently has fired most of, if not all of his crew after an assumed crew member leaked the affair to his wife, with whom he has 5 children. Tarantino, who has been in New York auditioning people for "Death Proof", flew down to Austin, TX today to attempt to sort out the shit storm that has resulted." (Source) The Quentin Tarantino Archives, yours truly, would like to emphasis at this point that all we are dealing with is rumors. Rodriguez official denies his affair with McGowan (Source) and so far, there has not been official confirmation about another halt of production. Some say that with this 'affair', Robert might be subject to revenge and therefore had to shut down production (his wife is the co-producer, if she got angry she might have caused the halt). In the meantime, more information came to light about the film. Zoe Bell (she was Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill) is reportedly one - if not the - lead actress in Tarantino's part, and Lucy Lawless (earlier reported to play a bigger part) just a minor role. "Zoe Bell is the star of Quentin's next movie and they are considering me to play one of her buddie"(Source). Also tipped for roles are Woody Harrelson (Source) as well as Jeff Fahey and Mickey Rourke (Source). Michael Parks is reportedly set to revive his role as Earl McGraw, while being infected with a virus from his own wife (Source). We try to get more on the developments as the news come in. Stay faithful!

UPDATE: Our own sources indicate now that much of the shutting-down rumors are not true. Seems like Tarantino is set to start shooting in May and they need time in between to rebuild sets. Filming is still going on, and there are 2 days a week where the production pauses. The rumor that Tarantino flew down to Austin is bullshit because he's been there all the time. And the McGowan rumors seem to be pure tabloid rambling.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

I just read all these news and was starting to feel a little disappointed, mainly because I feel this has the potential to be one of the funniest, most regarding film experiences of the past few years.
Si

MacGuffin

Grind House progress update 

As reported earlier, Grind House is neither shut down, nor is anyone over budget or anything else. Several sources, among those MovieHole.net, say that Rodriguez just pretty much finished his half of the film and Quentin's half is in preparations (The QT Film Fest starts this weekend so he's gonna start shooting some time after it). There are also some casting news to report. Seems like John Jarrat - saying "Things are looking promising but I can't say much more than that. I will eventually but not now" - is indeed in QT's half, as well as Cassandra Hepburn (Find me Guilty). "I actually just met with Quentin Tarantino about [a role in his segment]. ... It's in talks now" she sais, according to MTV and adds:  "At least I wouldn't die in the film. My character wouldn't. That's a good thing. ... When I met with him, he was just this really down-to-earth, really nice, simple man who loves to make films, just like me." For now, Hepburn will be sitting by the phone and keeping her summer open: "I was told it starts shooting mid-June", which goes in line with moviehole reporting "Tarantino's half of the movie won't be shooting until the Summer, which explains why Jarratt hasn't been spotted in the Qantas Club Lounge yet."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Pozer

MacGuffin

Easter Bunny Visits Grind House
Dimension takes Tarantino-Rodriguez team-up.

Dimension Films announced today that it will distribute the Quentin Tarantino-Robert Rodriguez collaboration Grind House. Dimension topper Bob Weinstein said the horror film will open in theaters Easter weekend 2007.

"The Easter holiday was a record-breaking weekend for Dimension this year with Scary Movie 4, and we are confident that Grind House will do extremely well in this slot," said Weinstein.

Grind House will be composed of two individual genre films, Rodriguez's Planet Terror and Tarantino's Death Proof. Both films will be homages to 1970s exploitation flicks with fake movie trailers interspersed.

Rodriguez's zombie pic, Planet Terror, will star Freddy Rodriguez (Poseidon), Rose McGowan (Charmed), Josh Brolin (Into The Blue), Marley Shelton (Sin City), Michael Biehn (Aliens), Stacy Ferguson (also known as Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas), Jeff Fahey (Wyatt Earp), and Michael Parks (From Dusk Till Dawn).

The cast for Tarantino's Death Proof is expected to be announced shortly.

Grind House takes a Black Eyed Pea

Variety finally announced today – months after we movie news sites reported such news – the casting for Robert Rodriguez's wedge of the "Grind House" project.

Most of the cast, you'll already have heard about - Freddy Rodriguez, Rose McGowan, Josh Brolin, Marley Shelton, Michael Biehn, Jeff Fahey, & Michael Parks – but there is one new name on there: Stacy 'Fergie' Ferguson.

Yep, seems the bootie-shakin' lead singer of "The Black Eyed Peas" has scored another juicy movie role, hot on the heels of he small turn in the "Poseidon" redo, and with Rodriguez playing camera-daddy, it's no doubt going to be a goodie.

The 31-year-old singer's first big acting stint was in the early 80's kids TV show "Kid's Incorporated". Besides "Poseidon", she's appeared in such films as "Be Cool" (as herself), and TV shows like "Las Vegas" (not surprisingly, since her lover, Josh Duhamel, stars on it) and "Married with Children".

"Grind House" will be in theatres Easter Weekend next year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Split Infinitive

Rodriguez and Tarantino have sure picked an elaborate way of telling the public they're run out of good ideas.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

modage

Naveen Andrews Finds Grind House
Source: Variety
June 7, 2006

Lost star Naveen Andrews is set to join Dimension Films' Grind House, for directors Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino.

The film has Rodriguez and Tarantino each helming a 60-minute horror tale, with faux trailers and ads in between.

Andrews takes on the role of "a badass military scientist" in "Planet Terror," the zombie movie that is Rodriguez's portion of the project, says Variety. The film is heading into production in Austin, Texas, this summer.

The film's cast already includes Freddy Rodriguez, Rose McGowan and Josh Brolin.

Tarantino's segment -- a slasher pic called "Death Proof" -- has yet to be cast.