Feds Bust Man For Taking Videos at Screenings

Started by Jack Sparrow, April 24, 2003, 11:52:45 AM

Jack Sparrow

From imdb.com:

"In what may be the first case of a federal prosecution of an individual for using a camcorder to copy a movie inside a theater, the U.S. Attorney's office announced Tuesday that it had arrested Johnny Ray Gasca on charges of copyright infringement. As reported by the Associated Press, Gasca was charged with secretly recording such films The Core, 8 Mile, and Anger Management at private screenings with "sophisticated equipment." In a search of Gasca's home, FBI agents said they found 11 VHS recorders, editing equipment and other equipment. A diary found at the home indicated that he was earning $1,000 - $4,500 per week from his activities. He faces a possible maximum sentence of 26 years in prison."

Recce

Yeah, I think they' re trying to set an example with bootlegging. All Fox trailers now have a warning at the beginning of them in theatres now. Guess they got tired of loosing so much money. Next they'll probly go after Kazaa and stuff.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

children with angels

It's just a powerful scene in a wonderful movie! I'd happily have it as my avator if I hadn't fallen in love with the idea of PTA and Fiona in love...

Why are the  FBI getting involved with something like trailer pirating?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Recce

Well, MrBurgerKing. Not that I have to defend myself, but Travis Bickle is a fantastic character portrayed by a fantastic actor in a fantastic film directed by a fantastic director. But, oh no, it represents something negative. What was I thinking? I should change it right away. Perhaps a kitten. Would you approve of a kitten, Burger boy? Would that be ok? I mean, films should be positive and realistic, right? Who wants to explore and, god forbid, be different.

Or, wait, maybe, just maybe, selecting an image from a film on a message board dedicated to film is acceptable around here. I could be wrong. What's everyone else think?

In the meantime, don't waste space with useless comments, will you?

P.S. It's a film...F....I...L....M....You are aware of them right?

P.P.S. Highlighting cool in "Do you think it's COOL" does tend to sound like you're attacking someone. Might wanna be careful with that.

Sorry if I sound negative and hostile, I been watching crazy, violent movies all day. IT'S ROTTEN MY BRAIN!!!
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

Recce

Yeah, well, you started it. I'm in communications studies, and we're pretty short tempered. Especially when people make offhand remarks about our avatars. But, I'm willing to let bygones be bygones if you are.

©brad

reece i likes ur avatar. don't change it. i can't stop changing mine cause I'm so....uhhhh...noncommittal maybe?

I also like the avatar that motor-mouth moniker jones has. that doesn't mean i like you.

Tiff

"Shut the fuck up!"

Recce

Well, thank you. Don't worry, I have no intention of changing it.