Kubrick's Best Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:14:44 PM

Tiff

What was Kubrick's best film?
I loved "A Clockwork Orange". Is it just my imagination or does the picture of Alex on the cover of the video look like a white, scary version of Janet Jackson?
"Shut the fuck up!"

budgie

Not having seen them all, Full Metal Jacket has recently overtaken 2001.

Cecil

i vote for clockwork. with strangelove as a close second

Bud_Clay

A Clockwork Orange and 2001 have always been a tie with me as Kubrick's best films and also some of the best films ever made.

Tiff

So, no one agrees with me on the Janet Jackson thing?  :?
"Shut the fuck up!"

tpfkabi

all of them are quite good. as far as most influential, i'd say 2001.

even though most people hate it, i love The Shining. my parents finally got a DVD player with 5.1 sound and its great to hear The Shining on it. STanley was great with sound. i, for one, think that The Shining is one of the most beautifully photographed films of all time.

i like Strangelove and Paths of Glory a lot too.

i've yet to see Lolita......how is that?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

life_boy

I got the Box Set for Christmas and have been watching/rewatching his post-Lolita works.  It's hard to pick a favorite but I love '2001'.  I also love 'Clockwork'.  No one else could have ever made 'A Clockwork Orange'.  If someone else had tried to make '2001' it would not have been as influential or as great.  One thing that made Kubrick great was he didn't feel he had to explain everything in his movies.  And even though no one else seemed to like it, I really liked 'Eyes Wide Shut'.

Anonymous

"A Clockwork Orange" is one of my favourite movies ever. I really liked all his films, including "Eyes Wide Shut" which also ranks as one of my favourite Kubrick films.

life_boy

I'm glad to see someone else liked it ('Eyes Wide Shut').

Gold Trumpet

2001, reasons I've given too many times.

What sense though is there in giving Kubrick his own forum like this when he has died and will not be releasing any movies. Kubrick topics were kept pretty nice in the off topic forum before and i think there should just be that one forum instead of so many different ones when it is obvious each will be receiving little attention. Just put one big director forum so people can see all the threads instead of spending so much extra time visiting each forum.

~rougerum

TenseAndSober

I LOVE EVERY SINGLE KUBRICK FILM....BUT PROBABLY BARRY LYNDON MOST OF ALL...

Xixax

That's interesting. I rented Barry Lyndon because it looked so great. I got it in my Netflix, and after 2 months, I still hadn't made it all the way through. Not because it lost me, but because I just found it difficult to commit 3 hours to a movie non-stop. I must have stopped and started it 3 or 4 times. I finally just sent it back. Maybe I'll give it another chance sometime.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ElPandaRoyal

I saw The Killing a few weeks ago on DVD and I just loved it. Yeah, it's not Clockwork Orange, but it's a great film. And I bet it worked even better when it was released.
Si

Newtron

The Shining, keep on watching it until you agree with me.

RegularKarate

2001 is my favorite.

I'm kinda with GT on this one... I love Kubrick... he deserves a topic, but he won't be making movies anymore and I don't know if there will be enough to keep this going other than talking about which films were better.