i'll be sharing

Started by jenkins, May 20, 2014, 01:22:41 PM

jenkins

awww, so happy to hear that. it's my hope. we didn't ignore the festivals, the festivals ignored us, but now people are reaching back to us. it's like when you get some money and your family calls you. a little like that except, it's not family, it's business, and we're stoked, and what we want is to be moving forward. i hope this is a step

max from fearless

This is awesome jenkins. Just wanted to say that, friends I've shared gooses with, have got back to me to tell me that they love the movie...I watched "listen up philip" this week and it totally depressed me (i've not disliked a film like this in a while) and i watched "gooses" on my mobile and it got me out of that mood, especially the shot of lore talking to camera/her sister, that shot rescued my mood.

jenkins

thanks to support from those who provided it, thanks to those who thought this sounded kinda interesting maybe, and if you've read this far consider yourself thanked whether you gave a shit or not. who'll give a shit? that's the question for our interminable future. i think we hit the ceiling for this release's potential

sun don't shine opened for a 1 day screening (10/27). nobudge's site runner kentucker audley is an actor in it. it's a good acting group, i consider kentucker "big name" because he's emotionally important to me, and kate lyn sheil full-time shreds. it was written/directed by amy seimetz. david fucking lowery was the final editor since, as siemetz says, he was "one of the only people I trusted." i call that the lowery touch. shane carruth created the end credits, and there's a little direct harmony between sun don't shine and gooses via their nobudge interview:

Quote4. Do you know what credits are?

Yes. Ethan Clarke animated the title card along with Sonja Hernandez, who also designed my poster. You (Shane) did my end credits. We both discussed how we don't like opening credits. They are very distracting to the narrative for us.

i'll be goddamned if i how i agree about this particular and esoteric matter isn't demonstrated in gooses. i also think there are indirect harmonies

i now consider gooses theatrically closed but, if you haven't watched it please do. the numbers are already in. this is a pure person-to-person moment here

a fun idea, because i just think you really gotta watch sun don't shine if you haven't already (or again if you have): consider gooses the opening cartoon to the day's who framed roger rabbit

N

Wow that's cool Jenkins. I had been planning to watch Sun Don't Shine for a while, this way I was able to watch it legally without spending heaps on getting a dvd shipped to me. I really enjoyed it despite having absolutely no idea what it means. As always, I'd like to say more about it. But I think it's best to let it sink in for a while. Thanks for sharing it anyways. I think I'm gonna visit nobudge a lot more now.

Oh, and good luck with your future work. Can't wait to watch whatever you guys make next.
In regards to your short film and feature and stuff.

Just Withnail

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 27, 2014, 01:26:47 AM

Yes. Ethan Clarke animated the title card along with Sonja Hernandez, who also designed my poster. You (Shane) did my end credits. We both discussed how we don't like opening credits. They are very distracting to the narrative for us.

i'll be goddamned if i how i agree about this particular and esoteric matter isn't demonstrated in gooses. i also think there are indirect harmonies

This this, forever this! Being thrown right into a film is so much better than having to watch the names of the puppet masters before the show starts. "LOOK WE MADE THIS UP!"

polkablues

On Last Rescue we had contractual obligations to have credits at the beginning. After trying to sprinkle them in throughout the opening sequence and hating what it did to the pacing, we decided the lesser evil was to create an opening titles sequence that runs before the movie proper starts. At least that way people can fast-forward through it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 27, 2014, 01:26:47 AM

that's crazy. I know Ethan Clarke and Sonja. We used to kick it when i was just an aspiring filmmaker and they were hanging out with a guy named Jenkins. Barry Jenkins.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

last year we wrote a poetry book we called frank zappa & barry manilow
that was fun and we didn't do anything with it
we just think it's a good start to the year by making a poetry book together
last year's we made by jan 1 2014
this year we finished on jan 2 because last night we decided to see the poseidon adventure and beyond the poseidon adventure instead of finishing
i think parts of me from here are in it
parts of me from life are in it
i'm pretty bleak overall i guess
morgan likes city life as much as i do
we have common angles of vision
and i forgive him and myself for our mistakes
because finishing it to start the year is the goal, that's really the only goal
i uploaded it to scribd and here's that:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/251559895/untitled

gooses won best editing at nobudge and we were fifth in highest viewings. i wanted more but my friends have reminded me how exciting that is. i guess this a toast to finishing things

Axolotl

Assuming the lower case ones are yours, really liked some of them. The last part of the poem that ends with the beached submarine was beautiful. Appreciated the Anne Rice one.

Congrats on the nobudge thing!

jenkins

It's already got an intro:

QuoteFlorianne, Alessandra's grandma, taught herself how to write by reading Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women". Through Alessandra sharing some of her poems on Instagram, Shawn left a comment asking her to work with him on this book.

Proud of it since of course I am:

Not sure what'll happen with it. Not sure if it'll be published. People have begun to chat about publishing. Oh I'm such a bad adult. This is the third I've done like this. I encourage you in your lives to say "Well what's said by my friend the poet jenkins..." if you want to, which is a variation on a joke I've recently enjoyed making irl. I'm becoming much more comfortable at writing these poem things, and there's "a lot of me in this book." That's how one says that, right? "A lot of me in this book."

I think there are fun things to read since of course I do. Here's the full link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/270649330/H-O-M-E-G-R-O-W-N

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 06, 2015, 02:00:22 AM
It's already got an intro:

QuoteFlorianne, Alessandra's grandma, taught herself how to write by reading Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women". Through Alessandra sharing some of her poems on Instagram, Shawn left a comment asking her to work with him on this book.

Proud of it since of course I am:

Not sure what'll happen with it. Not sure if it'll be published. People have begun to chat about publishing. Oh I'm such a bad adult. This is the third I've done like this. I encourage you in your lives to say "Well what's said by my friend the poet jenkins..." if you want to, which is a variation on a joke I've recently enjoyed making irl. I'm becoming much more comfortable at writing these poem things, and there's "a lot of me in this book." That's how one says that, right? "A lot of me in this book."

I think there are fun things to read since of course I do. Here's the full link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/270649330/H-O-M-E-G-R-O-W-N

Great, evocative cover. I've got the book open in another tab, I'll start reading through it when I have a few minutes.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Is the "(unrelated)" thing a joke? If not, I'm confused about what it means.

jenkins

The first two names are obviously related to each other and now I'm explaining a bit of a joke, yes. JB! Outta town.

jenkins

the word is the actor, the syntax is the production design, the sentence is the shot, the paragraph is the scene, the chapter is the sequence, and the total thing is the movie.

which is how i'm hoping to demonstrate writing is radically different than shooting. nothing finalizes itself by chance on the page, and the entire world is controllable.

the differences between movies and words have been on my mind. a person has completely read a draft of my novella and several people are currently engaged in reading it. sharing it and writing it has opened me to new thoughts and feelings. most of them are frightening and one or two are motivational. the world of words, what a place.

i've always thought there was more to the world than literature, and now i realize that's more the world of literature than i'd previously considered. one friend tells me before my final draft i absolutely must read Frederick Exley's A Fan's Notes, which through synopsis alone i'm in:

QuoteThis fictional memoir, the first of an autobiographical trilogy, traces a self professed failure's nightmarish decent into the underside of American life and his resurrection to the wisdom that emerges from despair.

i hope none of my family members read my novella, and i hope no one sits me down and wants to have a chat, just a quick little chat about personal emotional motivation, after having read it. it's basically what it feels like to be me through my own words, as a character i'm writing, which is the type of writing i most like, and to me it's the closest literature can come to magic hour, i think magic hour in writing is when the richest colors of the person show, and my rich colors deal with loneliness and a lot of what i call bullshit.

crono, having read an early draft of beginning pages, has already reminded me that a writer doesn't have liberty with the reader from their own thoughts that give them personal excitement. which here in the end is indeed a narrative line i hope to smooth, it being an integral part of the narrative since most of my time i spend alone and with my thoughts. i also recently read, a year after buying it, Genie by Richard Powers, which is 43 pages (i don't sweat when people don't immediately finishing reading my novella when they have it), that story i enjoyed and it brought me to Thoughts in Solitude, which i'm not sure i'll read but i like the sound of it:

QuoteThe death by which we enter into life is not an escape from reality but a complete gift of ourselves which involves a total commitment to reality.

there's such a danger to focusing the narrative on one lone person thinking about whatever the person thinks about. but i can't regret writing this the same as i can't regret living this. i think/hope in later days it'll be an obvious transitional piece of writing for me, i hope others can read it now and remember it in small ways if so, it does describe how i live now and my plan for the future is to write another based on days that'll occur in December, which days now i don't know what they'll be but i hope other people are involved.

the cover is being made by the person who made this:

except the cover will be much different but i'm excited she'll make the cover.

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 18, 2015, 02:15:35 PM
one friend tells me before my final draft i absolutely must read Frederick Exley's A Fan's Notes

yes yes yes! I love this book. A reference to it in relation to your own work seems like a compliment in itself.