i'll be sharing

Started by jenkins, May 20, 2014, 01:22:41 PM

AHEM WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS YET

jenkins

encourage you and others to send me a pm if you'd like to see it. i've been ecstatic about the request and haven't shot anyone down. i sent the info to freddie, who someone might guess i wouldn't send the info to, but i did, and i haven't regretted that

Jeremy Blackman

This was actually kind of amazing. It does seem to be straight from your brain.

The short's strength is definitely the narration. The language is appropriately simple and childlike at key moments. That really worked for me for some reason... I think you're extracting meaning from the scenes in interesting ways. It's rare for narration to be this quirky while somehow not being pretentious.

Overall it was very enjoyable, and I kind of wanted it to be longer.

Only thing I might change is that clip of Lucinella lazily dancing in the street like a free spirit at the beginning. I was ready to loathe her at that moment. She won me back of course, but still I feel like that's too much too soon.

jenkins

trivia about gooses:

-- a logo was used in place of an opening title, one with two gooses in the position and approximate style of an apple, as to say the film opens in a way similar to how an iphone turns on

-- the first shot, of lucinella's out-of-focus face, is also the first shot of roger avary's the rules of attraction, which movie's v.o. was an influential reference, and which movie's vacation montage was also a point of reference (along with sans soleil)

-- the photo of a cat eating pizza was sent by a friend, and that cat was purchased by me for the friend one past year as a christmas present. the cat is named tsukamoto after the japanese filmmaker. the cat is often called tsuki, although, and this is strange, because the cat is female and has a name, i often and for inexplicable reasons call the cat "ronald"

-- it feels emotionally better for me when lucinella dancing in the alley isn't accused of being grabbed from terrence malick, because it wasn't an intential grab, although afterward it seemed kinda obvious why that particular shot was in mind. really it's taken more from wong kar-wai, as evident by the speed of the shot, but it doesn't even look like a wong kar-wai shot, it's just a shot that through a variety of influences became its own shot

-- "Got the other days off." is spoken by lore and her lips were shot on an iphone. one might say it's a philosophical antecedent to the nature of the short

-- no one has ever said a thing about the color of lucinella's dress changing, and oh it was deliberate oh yes it was, all those shots were made the same day and the dress was changed for that particular shot to evoke a certain mood, which could maybe be easily described as lucinella becoming a red velvet popper for a moment

-- during the "I felt wonderful" shot, lucinella is holding the novella lucinella by lore segal. seems clear that names were taken from the novella

-- the first shot of lore out-of-focus in the car was very much inspired by shots of vincent gallo in the brown bunny

-- because there's no way the production could afford to license the names in lights on hollywood blvd, the crew simply drove around hollywood blvd on a saturday night with the background out of focus. the crew wanted the lights so they found a way to get them. subfact: a shot of lore has grauman's chinese theatre in the background

-- the two hollywood stars of fame used: tod browning and fay wray

-- that honestly is a bar that charles bukowski went to, google told me, and also they here and there have bukowski nights. he lived about a block up from the bar and hollywood blvd. subfact: the photo of bukowski has bukowski, a female, a cat, a glass of wine, and on bukowski's wall bukowski has a photo of bukowski. this photo was selected from a variety of photos as the most ideal photo of bukowski

-- the alley shot was in the alley behind my apartment, where during "bad days" i would drink in just that way

-- the glass chimes in lore's apartment are there because the crew really cherishes the glass chimes in kieslowski's blue

-- "A girl lives on the tongue of a blue whale." was brought up on set with the question of whether or not a blue whale actually has a tongue. not sure if anyone has yet googled whether or not a blue whale has a tongue. google wasn't used. elliott gould was used, from his line in california split, when he makes a person feel better by telling her things like "The tongue of the great blue whale weighs more than a full-grown African elephant."

-- the hardcore-music dance scene was used for a love of dance scenes, and for a love of having the audience wonder what just happened. it's a tricky-to-like scene. a personal favorite (along with every other scene)

-- steve, who is barely in the short and people who know steve often watch the short and see his name in the credits and ask where steve was in the short, was renting a room in the laurel canyon house that was shot and described as such. one time i visited steve and we freebased hash hoil, which experience felt like how lucinella describes

--  really proud of: the floorlamp that's shaped like a donkey

-- a person once told me she wished she could quantum leap inside my body, and i still consider that one of the loveliest things anyone has ever said to me

-- really proud of: the shot before the iphone shot, which shot i think erases the potential "secrecy" of using the iphone and creates an appreciable blend

-- the car drive to lax was shot while driving to lax

-- lax was shot with an iphone as a single-take. one can notice: a cop pulls up during the scene, the nearest doors were closed for repair so lucinella keeps walking. one cannot notice: originally it was going to be tao with the iphone, but we didn't have the actor that day, so the dp was pretending to be tao, and anyway i like how it works even without thinking that's tao using the iphone

-- really wanted a superimposition of lucinella kissing a building toward the end, and such a scene was crafted, but it didn't end up being used

max from fearless

Loved the trivia notes, so thanks for those and no way was the dance scene Malick like, the way the camera moves with/towards Lucinella just gives it this whole other vibe and I cannot stop thinking of Anna Karina pulling off moves with Jean-Paul Belmondo in the alley in A Woman is A Woman, that playful energy as opposed to the thing that Malick does. I also really dug the group monster orgy dance scene, it felt like an epic palette cleanser, a chance to just get real aggressive and chaotic and shake everything off, before jumping into the hot tub romance. So yeah, I loved the dance scenes and wanna see your next musical...

Alexandro

I saw it. Really don't have much to say. It is perfect, I loved every minute. I've seen many videos/shorts with girl leads having a good time and recounting poetically in voice over, and it usually pisses me off, yet here I fell for it instantly, it just never feels false and you get sucked in. Loved the look and the credits too.
Congratulations!

Just Withnail

My slightly revised part of a correspondence I had with jenkins earlier:

Just watched the short you sent and liked it a lot! Extremely moody. The honesty of the voice over was very effective - and I think this could have been pushed even further. As it is there's a refreshing lack of drama for the most of it, but at the same time it feels like there could have been a bit more at stake near the end. More of the sisters pain and more of the distance and brutal honesty Lucinella has in her narration. But the lightness is very contagious and feels LA (I say having just briefly been there).

I love the unforced, jumpy-yet-unhurried editing. The reliance on camera moves and kinetic energy for emotion (like the track in and tilt down from the building to the back of the girl taking the photo: "I didn't"). The constant switch of moods. It's poetic without being pretentious.

It's not often I think this about a short - but longer, please! Longer and a little bit more at stake (maybe), so I get to know the characters a little bit more. The sister's pain man, that is something very effective going on there, I'd like to know more (not necessarily in bio details, but just...more).

And the end credits are fantastic! over all it looks great. fantastic with a form that allows you to jump seamlessly into a mobile phone shot. great and surprising moment when she hugs the camera.

jenkins

gooses will be on nobudge tuesday october 21

http://nobudge.com/upcomingfilms/2014/10/21/gooses

it took me a second to realize that to watch the trailer you click the screencap

xixax, you could've watched the trailer at the thread's beginning, and messages happened regarding the short. it means something to me that you could already know my secrets

reminder: matt35mm's it felt good to have this pain and jg's the confabulators are on nobudge, the site is run by kentucker audley who was an actor in ghostboy's atbs, and i'm glad nobudge exists as a community place. i watch shorts and features there on a regular basis. i'm glad sun don't shine comes after gooses. i'm imagining gooses as sun don't shine's b-movie. i'm glad this is happening for various reasons obvious and not obvious

for me it's an internet version of an irl film festival. and i like the festival's taste. and everyone else here at the festival seems nice and we can talk about things and relate to each other and basically i hope i form a cosmic link with everyone who sees gooses. that's basically true xx

Axolotl

jenkins

kentucker's synopsis, which i'd been looking forward to since i heard about this:

QuoteLucinella, an openhearted 20-something, visits her dour sister, Lore, in L.A, and we see the weekend as a narrated montage, kinetic & full of spot-on details of how trips like this go. The first day the younger sister, Lucinella, spends alone - eating red velvet poppers and trying to act casual on Beverly Blvd - but Lore takes off the other days from her job at CVS and once she's around, the nature of the vacay shifts. Lore is more at home plodding around pointing at bars that Bukowski liked to drink at, and having mellow conversations, than Lucinella's preference of prancing around imagining the world as a dream. There's a great deal of truth in Gooses about people of a particular age, about the differences between sisters, how those differences play out, at beaches for instance. Lore is the type that never looks comfortable at the beach, and Lucinella considers it a "tragedy of [her] existence." Behind all the free-wheeling (Lucinella calls Lore her spirit animal), she has some harsh judgement for her jaded older sister, which adds some heaviness to what we imagined might simply be a fantasy L.A. vacation slide-show. It strikes quick but, by the end, we're allowed to breath in some poignant real-time moments. A cool little short film, I'm looking forward to seeing new work from co-directors Shawn Sullivan and Joe Peeler. Thrilled to present the short film as an Online Premiere. (8 minutes)

it's quite obvious that i put personal emotions into this. i consider it something like a movie version of a chapbook.

today i feel excited, i do, it warms me to have friends watching it and sharing it. i mean this all the way -- and today i'm too emotional to carpet my excitement, which ok that's my normal day but now i'm related to its cause -- it means a lot to me when you watch it, which i hope you do, and i'd like to hear back from you about that but i don't have to

people who aren't me or my best friends or a member of the crew: the numbers game is the adult thing happening here, and if you like it and feel it and you want to share it with your friends, please do, please facebook it or tumblr it or whatever it wherever. i did try to make a short that i thought friends could share with friends without shame. and i very much thought about how it'd feel to watch this on a phone or tablet or etc. i've watched it on my phone many times. like it no matter how i see it and i hope you do too

polkablues

It was beautiful and it was sincere, which are the two biggest compliments I can think to give a film.

Really, really wonderful work. I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

QuoteYou know the best way to fall in love again with your city? Invite a friend to visit and see it anew through their eyes. Despite the truth of that statement, however, I can't say that's exactly what happens in Gooses, a lovely short film by directors Shawn Sullivan and Joe Peeler. Lucinella visits her "spirit animal" (actually, her sister Lore) in Los Angeles, and her trip is both an impressionistic journey through the sights of L.A. as well as a more nuanced tale of sibling rediscovery.

Gooses, which premiered on NoBudge and stars Zena Gray and Katy Knowlton, is excerpted from the second act of a feature screenplay that Sullivan and Peeler are developing. Writes Peeler, "Gooses is my first step toward Gem City, a feature film about a young woman in a quest across America, cyberspace and her own dreamscape to answer the question: 'What is my life if not the story I tell of it?'"

http://filmmakermagazine.com/88046-short-film-gooses-directed-by-shawn-sullivan-and-joe-peeler/#.VEk1z-29LCQ

Just Withnail

Quote from: Just Withnail on June 02, 2014, 07:13:00 AM
It's not often I think this about a short - but longer, please!

Quote from: Filmmaker Magazine
QuoteGooses, which premiered on NoBudge and stars Zena Gray and Katy Knowlton, is excerpted from the second act of a feature screenplay that Sullivan and Peeler are developing. Writes Peeler, "Gooses is my first step toward Gem City, a feature film about a young woman in a quest across America, cyberspace and her own dreamscape to answer the question: 'What is my life if not the story I tell of it?'"

Woo!

I just watched this again and I swear I can taste the fucking colors. This is so infectious in it's energy and I can't wait to see the feature.

jenkins

http://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks

the vimeo staff pick is of course a thing we truly wanted. 300 views from it after a minute

Cloudy

I watched again (and again and again), and my reaction is this:

Quote from: Just Withnail on October 24, 2014, 09:41:45 AM
Quote from: Just Withnail on June 02, 2014, 07:13:00 AM
It's not often I think this about a short - but longer, please!
Woo!
I just watched this again and I swear I can taste the fucking colors. This is so infectious in it's energy and I can't wait to see the feature.

Curious, If it's on Vimeo, (Vimeo Staff PicK!) that means you won't be taking this to festivals am I right? The nature of this piece feels like it can jive on the internet, but without lacking any of the integrity that most shorts have when they do. That shot when it goes from "cinema camera" to iPhone really just says it all (that sounds too overt, but it's really not). I think this is gonna get a lot of love, like it is already in our little corner of the shoebox... really happy and excited for you!