i'll be sharing

Started by jenkins, May 20, 2014, 01:22:41 PM

jenkins

the trailer for the short i made has been depassworded. it's up. i'd like to share it here because

please don't consider yourself a test group (please consider yourselves my friends), and please don't provide an easy link that'll load embed data

there's easy legwork here:
vimeo.com/81792547

and you're there if you wanna be
then it's yours and whatevs. maybe it's perfect for your grandma's facebook, idk

Drenk

Is the short available? Or do you want to share it with us? The trailer is very intriguing; the images are disconnected in such a way that I don't know how they work together, but I really want to know.
Ascension.

Cloudy

^^ everything he said. intrigued...teased...delighted...curious...confused...goose...s...planes...red poles...palm trees in a dusty orangey browny greeny glow...i wanna pull stills out and place them here...

jenkins

the short is still password protected, the short still has days ahead at nobudge, and i'm feeling emotional, because there are these adult professional reasons it hasn't been on nobudge already. i'm ready to share it! but it's not ready

a thing i can mention is i feel lucky we were able to make a 1:15 trailer for a 7:33 short. that's crazy. thanks everyone. the trailer at the beginning and end has footage from the scarlet we used for the short (+1 alexa shot of the tree for venice), the beginning also has iphone video and the short has iphone video, and for the trailer we shot "lead character in los angeles" rcv vhs footage for the middle. beginning, middle, and end are readable by the song selection.

seemed like too much to ask, to show 1:15 and expect you to wanna watch 6:18 more, so we made some shit up for the fun and for the hell of it

thanks for the words drenk cloudy and axolotl!! i'm excited if you're excited. calm and friendly anyone can for sure pm and get the short's viewing info

Punch

looks very good jenkins, im also intrigued
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Alexandro

loved the trailer and made me want to take any camera and go out and shoot everything.

jenkins

not trying to brag or nothing, but two more people. i appreciate it. of course i do

the last thing i forget, aside from a synopsis of anything (which it could be guessed is the last thing i'd share), is movie facts

movie facts:

my personal movie facts -- are like my resume. a little shaky. let's say i've traveled blocks that've led me nowhere and i don't look good on paper

codirector/editor -- edited the fargo promotional bumpers, edited lucy walker's sundance-selected the lion's mouth opens, edited the crash part of walker's the crash reel, edited walker's the contenders, was an assistant for peter bogdanovich, and don't he look good on paper? friends, you know. they mean a lot

dp -- shot the harmontown documentary, shot (with the steadycam op from the avengers), shot , and other things which i'm not listing because the list is long and he's a camera pro

production designer -- art director for short term 12, , and basically every job she gets seems like loads of fun and she's great. i worked as her pa for pampers commercials, paranormal activity 4, and other things

music person -- who has a song in the trailer, the third song, and is very into electronic music but not in an edm way, in a way i'd have to use google for like ~30mins to describe

lead actress -- is a manager at cinefamily which is a great los angeles theater that well for example werner herzog was there last friday for nosferatu in german, and i was most excited because she was in wes craven's my soul to take

second actress -- also helped make wardrobe decisions and doesn't work in the entertainment industry, i just like her vibe and she's irl interesting

actor -- was in was crave's my soul to take with the lead actress

Drenk

I've seen it and liked it a lot, it's messy in a good way, in a way where the mess is a coherent form. We talk a lot about album movies here, and this short is, in my opinion, an album short. I liked the fact that, even if it's an important trip for the character, what happens is simple. "Of course I miss her. A little." This trip is a little great time for her. It's important to capture the little sometimes.
Ascension.

SailorOfTheSeas

dude from just watching the trailer, that looks wonderful. can't wait

SailorOfTheSeas

What's the song in the trailer if u dont mind me asking?

jenkins

oh i just get all excited and everything. thanks

no one has sent me a pm asking to see the short and not been replied to with the info, btw

songs:
1 ponytail -- 7 souls
2 blackblack -- sophia
3 we made this™

Cloudy

You took us to your LA, and I really feel like I know these people and I've been to these places (in a way that you made your memories and moments feel like mine)...it's so great how the first short you shared with us you took us here, where you always-always talk about--gem city.

:bravo:...it's a great kind of bonkers knowing we have honest souls/talent who really give a shit, rolling around in this place.

Also everything Drenk said*
*I wish the end-titles went on longer...

jenkins

well, we thought of it as like a forty-year tradition, , and we originally said we wanted to imagine if godard and eisenstein met in an aol chatroom. thanks for bringing up the intertitles. they were made by our friend who owns a cassette label and works in graphic design, for example she made:

you sound nice, and i want to see your full response, but i don't like your intrigue. oh i'l pm the data to anyone who asks, i bet

max from fearless

Yo Jenkins! Some thoughts on your movie below, thank you so much for sharing:

Loved the 'radio dial' tone of the movie (carrying on the from trailer) shifting from one mood (pop song) to another: variations on sensation, memories, recollections, movement and the taking in of mood itself...

Importance of light (city lights in the distance. shop lights, street ambiance) the glittering, shining self as Lucinella lies, basking in a glow of being elsewhere with her (best?) friend as the camera pushes in on her. What were your thoughts on lights for the movie?

This is one movie moment after another movie moment. Is this movie a mixtape of movie moments? Sewn together to make an LA patchwork quilt? I love the rock dance followed by that music note or bell transition to her in the pool.

Lucinella watches a lot and takes it all in, how much does she act? - on Tao's nice comments or responding to lore's ideas of reflecting on the past or being in a mood. One of the beautiful things about vacations is letting all these new thoughts, notions, sounds, songs, sensations, tastes and feelings and then scrambling, rewinding or skipping through them later on and making stuff bigger and smaller than it actually was....Her passivity or reflective nature is such a cool vibe for the movie to surf on.

Two (female) friends traveling through a city, (Jenkins have you seen Rivette's "Le Pont Du Nord"? if not check it out an incredible and strange friendship movie with a conspiracy movie hidden inside it) Lucinella walking, her point of view, i kept thinking to myself what would Lore say? think? i want a sequel of the same holiday from lore's point of view!

Those silent moments of Lore looking uncomfortable, not quite fitting in and then these lovely moments of her just looking at her friend on the feris wheel; is that look their friendship/love? Is Lucinella so self-involved  (living in her own fantasy LA movie musical, dancing like Anna Karina and Jean Luc Belmondo in A Woman is a Woman) to see or feel Lore's, I dunno, sadness or melancholy or reflective mood? Love the line when Lore says she sorry she was in a bad mood and Lucinella doesn't know what she's referring too...

The punchy rhythm at the start, click click click, ping! Grabs you by the throat nicely and the camera turning into like a cell phone camera (?) at the end, grabs you by the throat again and gives us this lovely homemade feeling and that little whip pan where we're looking back at the airport and then WHIPPP back into the car, took me to "Wise Blood/Punch-drunk Love" and reinforced this strange, bittersweet vibe before the credits, which were also dope.

I liked the movie Jenkins, it's it's own thing with this lovely, rough and tumble, point of view and it's sweet, fun and delicious with some melancholy undertones as well. Congratulations, this is real good and definitely put more juice in my creative engines! Keep rocking and props to you and the whole cast and crew!

jenkins

butterflies in my stomach :)

with this, as with me and most movies, i avoid anchoring my thoughts to the meaning, as in i avoid being the arbiter of meaning. i trust the audience. as there are pta people here, i hope you know what i mean. a french person, paul virilio, gave the wonderful description that the field of battle is a field of perception

Quote from: max from fearless on May 24, 2014, 08:00:08 AM
What were your thoughts on lights for the movie?

lights are like visual music to me. mood. very moody about my lights. irl i often say: the two titles i most wish were mine are the book been down so long it looks like up to me and the movie rebels of the neon god

QuoteIs this movie a mixtape of movie moments? Sewn together to make an LA patchwork quilt?

oh for sure. i'm a person who can't get over a massive crash on montages

QuoteLucinella watches a lot and takes it all in, how much does she act? - on Tao's nice comments or responding to lore's ideas of reflecting on the past or being in a mood. One of the beautiful things about vacations is letting all these new thoughts, notions, sounds, songs, sensations, tastes and feelings and then scrambling, rewinding or skipping through them later on and making stuff bigger and smaller than it actually was....Her passivity or reflective nature is such a cool vibe for the movie to surf on.

consider that a question with the answer <3

Quote(Jenkins have you seen Rivette's "Le Pont Du Nord"? if not check it out an incredible and strange friendship movie with a conspiracy movie hidden inside it)

mm, sounds delicious, thanks! that one is unseen by me. thoughts of celine and julie were with us

thank you. thanks everyone, truly. didn't make this for myself, you know

all the ideas that came into making the short aren't more important to me than the ideas you have when you see it. what does the short mean? it means what you feel when you watch it. that's my overall intention. and lord help me if you can't have a feeling while you watch gooses