Drive

Started by wilder, May 17, 2011, 09:16:38 PM

RegularKarate

I now have my air-freshener of Christina Hendricks hanging from my rearview as I drive around listening to the soundtrack, occasionally turning my headlights off.  This movie is dangerously good.

Watched Theif again after.

socketlevel

awesome, i was talking to people about thief after i saw it too.
the one last hit that spent you...

squints

This was absolute gold. Every single frame had me gripped. I have no complaints and a millions praises. I just walked out of the theater a couple hours ago and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go see it again tonight.

And yes, I will be driving around tonight listening to "A Real Hero" over and over.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

now I'm scared - the last time a movie got this kinda consensus from The Board was when Hanna came out and I hated it. This is my "Called It" post and I'm going to watch it and come back in a few days.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete on September 19, 2011, 08:12:25 PM
now I'm scared - the last time a movie got this kinda consensus from The Board was when Hanna came out and I hated it. This is my "Called It" post and I'm going to watch it and come back in a few days.

Did the board really all LOVE Hanna?  I didn't.

Also, you're not going to like it if you decide you won't. (says your mother about peas)

pete

I'm not deciding it; I'm scared.
I want this movie to be so good.
it's just an omen.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 20, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

Did the board really all LOVE Hanna?  I didn't.

The first reviews on the board were from people who's opinions are highly respected, and they were raving about it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: S.R. on September 20, 2011, 06:00:40 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on September 20, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

Did the board really all LOVE Hanna?  I didn't.

The first reviews on the board were from people who's opinions are highly respected, and they were raving about it.

well they were totally wrong because it's a piece of shit.

i think people were only interested in the soundtrack because everything else about that film told you it was going to be disappointing. ie. eric bana is in it.

it starts off fine but then doesn't have a third act, it's a really stupid film, not even worth reviewing in the actual thread.
under the paving stones.

squints

Fuck Hanna, lets get back to talking about how great Drive is. And the soundtrack! Great shit, ya'll.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

socketlevel

Quote from: squints on September 20, 2011, 09:44:53 PM
Fuck Hanna, lets get back to talking about how great Drive is. And the soundtrack! Great shit, ya'll.

:yabbse-thumbup:

hanna was so middle of the road, drive is the kind of movie that woulda been my "Limey" back when I was 20. It's the kinda movie that makes you wanna make movies.
the one last hit that spent you...

pete

hey it was pretty good! so violent. pissed that the trailer gave away EVERYTHING.
still, good movie.
Ryan Gosling's one expression has served him well.
- Buster Keaton

squints

SPOILER

About the violence...i thought this was a hilarious piece of trivia from IMDB:

Nicolas Winding Refn sought advice from Gaspar Noé on how to make the head stomping scene brutal and realistic.

Jeremy Blackman

I liked it very much. Didn't deserve the hype, but that doesn't bother me. It's very good.

However, like Pete I'm upset about the trailer not only spoiling the entire story but highlighting literally every key scene, especially that mask/window scene, which would have been revelatory had it not been milked in the trailer. And you can't really tell from the trailer alone how spoilery it really is. If you've seen the trailer, don't expect to be surprised by anything.

Gosling was great. The story is only moderately interesting, but this movie is definitely a director's showcase.

Pozer

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 22, 2011, 11:49:44 PM
Didn't deserve the hype

not sure what that means.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 22, 2011, 11:49:44 PM
If you've seen the trailer, don't expect to be surprised by anything.

absolutely not true.

and i almost think telling people how spoilery that trailer was is more spoilery than the trailer. i think i forgot most of it when i was watching.

diggler

I was spoiled by the trailer but that in no way ruined the experience of watching the movie. The people at my screening seemed really bored/restless until a certain scene (if you've seen it I'm sure you know the one) when I was walking out they were mostly saying negative things. I thought Gosling did the man-with-no-name thing pretty well, but Albert Brooks stole the show. As Blackman said it's a director's showcase, and I loved the way certain scenes unfolded (the parking garage especially). I'm having a hard time saying this didn't live up to the hype because most people I know seem to think it's a cheap Fast & Furious knockoff.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty