Your First DVD

Started by MacGuffin, July 20, 2003, 02:51:06 PM

MacGuffin

"You never forget your first."

What DVD did you first buy and break your player's cherry with? And why that title?

I was all set to get "The Sweet Hereafter" on laserdisc at Virgin Records when I looked at the DVD copy and saw it had more extras than just the commentary. I went down the street and got a player and that DVD (along with "Boogie Nights"- when only the single-disc edition was out - because it had a different commentary track than the Criterion laser) that same day.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Derek237

--On my very first DVD player, a DVD-rom. Can't remember which movie I actually watched on it first.

The first movie I watched on my second DVD player for a TV, since I hated watching movies on a computer.

The first movie I watched on my 3rd DVD player, after #2 broke (it was extremley cheap).

Hmm, never noticed it until now but there'll all Fox DVDs. COINCIDENCE?!?

Derek

Contact. I loved that movie, I actually bought it way before I bought my player, because I knew there was no point to buying vhs anymore. I isn't loaded with features like some discs nowadays, but it was still a very exciting thing when dvd was first coming out.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

aclockworkjj

ono

and

...along with a DVD player to play them on as a birthday present.

I had seen both American Beauty and Fight Club on VHS earlier in the past year and loved them both.  So there you have it.

Jake_82

your reality is at the end of your dream

Alethia

i dont remember, i think it was close encounters or almost famous........hmmm.......

modage

my first dvd was...

and it was november of 1998, a week or two before my birthday i believe.  (which is sad, because recently i had to let it go in favor of the criterion one. although i did consider holding on to it for sentimental value.)

the problem i had with the invention of DVDs was that i had a rather large (at the time) collection of about 100 vhs.  so my dilemma was what would i buy on dvd?  and what on tape?  and what would i re-buy?  so i decided, that first of all, i would buy on dvds new movies that were being released, that supported my newer tastes anyways.  and movies that would benefit from a better quality.  and in order for my to re-buy any of my vhs, they would have to be stacked with features.  otherwise, wait it out.  (which i have kept until recently when i broke down and re-bought barton fink although it doesnt have very much on it.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

I really cant remember but it must have been...

Good Will Hunting/The Mummy/Fight the Future/Cable Guy
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sal

The first time I didn't buy just one.  Oh, no.  I bought six. They are:

Beetlejuice
The Shining
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Weekend at Bernie's
The Big Lebowski
Man on the Moon

Cecil

well the first i watched on my player was a rented copy of boogie nights (single disc edition). first one i owned was rocky horror picture show (twas a gift)

Ghostboy

Mine was Mars Attacks. I bought it along with my first DVD player in 1997. They had JUST come out, and so it cost 700 bucks. It's finally starting to act up, so I'm going to buy a new one next week.

soylent greenish

CITY OF LOST CHILDREN was the reason i bought a dvd player in 1984

RegularKarate

My first DVD player (which sucked and has already needed to be replaced) was broken in with Magnolia, which had just come out on DVD.

I stayed up all night because I watched the movie, then the Doc... I thought the Doc was only gonna be 30 minutes.