Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah... The fact that it didn't really move the band forward artistically is definitely hurting its memorability.

Has anyone read anything credible about the album's songwriting, who had more influence, etc.? Jonny Greenwood seems to have been busy scoring soundtracks since In Rainbows. Is that a good theory?

Stefen

^pretty much. I do think Thom is the main thing on this album. His handiwork seems to be on it the most.

Which is fine, Thom is good, but Radiohead is better.

They were due for a let down eventually. I just hope we don't have to wait long for something new.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

brockly

i really like the album, but it hasn't really grown on me the way their other albums have. and i'm not sure it ever will. bloom, lotus flower and give up the ghost are creatively/lyrically so far ahead of the rest of the album that the other songs just feel like filler. i'm still listening to it tho, and really enjoying it.

Quote from: Stefen on March 23, 2011, 08:56:11 PM
They were due for a let down eventually. I just hope we don't have to wait long for something new.

since the band aren't releasing any b-sides with the physical release, i'm guessing there will be another ep-like album from the same recording sessions. it would make a lot of sense at this point.

Pubrick

It's worse than Pablo Honey.. at least that gave us Creep.

You know you've missed the mark when the most memorable thing to come from your album is a parody mash up video of your main (only viable?) single where your front man hilariously shoots the hell out of Justin BIEBER.

They need to stop looking out the window at a fucking TREE and start looking for REAL inspiration.. if they follow up this dud with another over hyped collection of half baked ideas that barely constitute an album they will officially end their run as the Kubrick of bands.

This is a bigger letdown than when the simpsons stopped being funny.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Ouch. But yeah, it's up there (down there) with Pablo Honey, fo' sho. Still, at least it gave us Lotus Flower, which I think is one of the best songs they've done. Really like that song. It's definitely the albums Creep.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

brockly

down there with Pablo? that's just crazy talk. i can appreciate anyone saying this is a letdown from Radiohead, but no way is this a dud. there are some really amazing moments on this album, especially in the songs that i mentioned in my last post. i don't think any of the tracks are worthless by any means. i think it's a great album, but i can agree that it's not a great Radiohead album.

but seriously down there with Pablo?? around the 3 minute mark in Bloom when the brass comes in... ARE YOU GUYS NOT HEARING THIS SHIT??

Reel

why can't they just play their own instruments again? this album feels really hollow to me. I don't wanna have to look up the lyrics online to find out wtf Thom Yorke is saying. So boring..  :sleeping:

Jeremy Blackman

I would put this just above Pablo Honey and The Bends, but yeah, to suggest it's worse than Pablo Honey seems hyperbolic.

A lot of the album is filler. But if we're being honest, really, at least four tracks (Codex, Bloom, Give Up The Ghost, Lotus Flower) stand up with their best work.

Pozer

Quote from: Reelist on March 24, 2011, 11:46:05 AM
this album feels really hollow to me. I don't wanna have to look up the lyrics online to find out wtf Thom Yorke is saying. So boring..  :sleeping:

^ that's nothing new though. i like figuring out what the f he's saying on my own.

the worse than Pablo talk is going overboard. it being labled as an LP is definitely the problem, if it was labled a minialbum it wouldnt be as big of a letdown to you folks. if only they gave it away for free again  :brickwall:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 23, 2011, 08:45:16 PM
Yeah... The fact that it didn't really move the band forward artistically is definitely hurting its memorability.

whatever though. ive accepted it for what it is, theyve wanted to release music in their own fashion for some time and i enjoy the thing as this loungey little album.

also, what broc said.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pozer on March 24, 2011, 02:22:52 PMit being labled as an LP is definitely the problem, if it was labled a minialbum it wouldnt be as big of a letdown to you folks.

True... It definitely wants to be an EP.

Remove "Little By Little" and "Morning Mr. Magpie," maybe also "Separator," and you'd have an uncontroversial, respectable, perfect EP. (Though people would still argue Radiohead had enough time to make a full solid LP.)

tpfkabi

how many are saying the Destroyer album is too short? it has 9 tracks, but one of them is a 2009(?) 11 min edited down single. take that away it's 8 tracks, 38 mins or so. Pinkerton is <35 mins.

i think one thing that is dimishing it is that they did zero press or interviews for the album. it came out in such a short time span all the music magazines didn't have enough turn around time to do much for it.

the band still haven't talked about it to my knowledge. i would like to hear their thoughts on only putting out 8 tracks.

if it was 10 tracks, but they had two 2 min ambient things like the IR Disc 2, would you like it more?
if it was still 8 tracks, but a couple of the songs went on an extra minute or two to make it > 40 mins would you like it more?

then you have Sufjan's last EP that's almost an hour long.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Radiohead Release Free Newspaper
Source: Pitchfork

Radiohead's new album The King of Limbs is out now as a digital download with the album's physical edition arriving March 29 in North America on TBD Records, a day earlier in Europe on XL, and March 25 in other countries on Hostess Entertainment. And on May 9, the band will release an elaborately packaged "newspaper edition" of the album. We still don't know what that newspaper edition will include, but we may get a hint on March 28 and 29, when the band releases a completely separate newspaper, The Universal Sigh, at newsstands all over the world. The image above seems to be what the paper will look like, as One Thirty BPM found somebody selling one on eBay already. As they announce on the newspaper's website, "In conjunction with this unbelievable offer, Radiohead have established The Universal Sigh as a website on the internet, where details of your nearest vendor can be found, as well as more informations and a photogallery where we will be posting photos and the lucky owners of the gratis tabloid are invited to post pictures of themselves and their friends reading the newspaper in locations diverse and unusual. There will be other stuff too, but we haven"t thought of it yet. In North America, they'll give it out on March 29--next Tuesday--and the rest of the world will get it a day earlier. You'll find a list of distribution locations right here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

What do you guys think?

http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/

This tracklist actually works and may just be the greatest and most epic album of all-time.  :shock:

Jeremy Blackman

Those who bought the album have probably already received an email to this effect...

2 new (free tracks) - Supercollider & The Butcher

http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/OrderTracking/

picolas

supercollider rocks my socks hard... sounds like an amazing underwater donkey kong level.