Your favorite bad yet not "Z" movie

Started by Pas, May 26, 2003, 06:55:20 PM

pookiethecat

it has its heart in the right place...that's why i like it.  but i wouldn't really call it a good movie.  the ending is awful.  and a decent amount of the gags fall flat.  it's an enjoyable movie with funny performances by elizabeth hurley and brendan fraser but not at a "good" one in my opinion, especially within the realm of really good sophisticated comedy.

a litmus test: would you feel comfortable displaying it on your DVD shelf?
i wanna lick 'em.

NEON MERCURY

good topic...
Here is some selections- Goulies 1-whatever, weekend at bernies, wierd science, cyborg , hudson hawk, last action hero, jaws the revenge.

Alethia

Cecil

Quote from: NEON MERCURYcyborg

nice. but albert pyun still sucks

SoNowThen

Quote from: pookiethecatit has its heart in the right place...that's why i like it.  but i wouldn't really call it a good movie.  the ending is awful.  and a decent amount of the gags fall flat.  it's an enjoyable movie with funny performances by elizabeth hurley and brendan fraser but not at a "good" one in my opinion, especially within the realm of really good sophisticated comedy.

a litmus test: would you feel comfortable displaying it on your DVD shelf?

Damn straight I would. I liked the ending, where he asks the chick out and even though he "learned" his lesson, it was still creepy, and she ended up saying no. So he went off and found her double, who cares, it's a comedy. I just love the opening though, it's one of my favs ever. And all the little skits in the middle (particularily "there's no 'I' in team") had me howling. And Hurley's not bad to look at, either. All in all, a much better comedy than any of the Austin Powers shit people find so funny.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

yeah.  i like the part at the end where he's riding his bike up the san francisco hill and  smiles... seems sorta out of the blue, but also makes sense cuz he's just made a major change in his life...it's funny and weirdly touching.  

by the way, i agree.  austin powers sucks a big fat siberian wang.
i wanna lick 'em.

my dead dog

Anyone else seen Octopus? To be honest this is so bad that it probably doesn't even deserve to be classed as a Z film. I saw it, strange enough, at about 2am in Ho Chi Minh City last year.
If you get the chance, grab it. A turd of this magnitude deserves special praise. I broke 4 ribs laughing, 3 of them mine.
"Everything's happening so fast. It's all in such high gear that sometimes it doesn't feel like me"

godardian

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I'm sure to the objective observer it looks and feels directly phoned in from bad-sitcom-land, but I think it's great.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

ohh four rooms is bad, so bad

the kid part was good

but qt's scene was a mess

and the witches was a " Im so cool" circle jerk

a bunch of woman trying to look cool and relevent and well BORING

pookiethecat

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManohh four rooms is bad, so bad

the kid part was good

what the...*utterly confused*

romy and michele is funny and often really clever.  not just the brilliant line readings by Janeane Garafalo, Lisa Kudrow, and Mira Sorvino, but also the clever visual irony that director David Mirkin infuses into the directing. probably from his experience producing the Simpsons.    

put simply, it's just one of those movies where it seems that everyone involved was really intelligent.  the acting, the directing, the writing, it's all clever and witty.  that it occasionally fails is ok because it never really insults the intellignece.

definitely gets the pookie stamp of approval.   :-D
i wanna lick 'em.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManohh four rooms is bad, so bad

the kid part was good

I thought the QT part was the only one worth its salt. I loved it.

Oh, I also love From Dusk 'till Dawn. That's pretty b-movie-ish.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.