Top 50 Albums

Started by KingBlackDeath, June 19, 2003, 01:51:51 AM

SoNowThen

My sentiments exactly.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

saying things are over-rated is over-hyped anyways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kev Hoffman

I'm just not a big Stones fan, is all.  I really don't enjoy entire albums of theirs from start to finish. The Beatles, on the other hand...

SoNowThen

Yeah, you know how in Pulp Fiction Uma was supposed to ask if Travolta was an "Elvis man or a Beatles man"? Well, I think the real question is "Stones man or Beatles man". That and "coke or pepsi?".
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

beatles and pepsi. (begrudgingly)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Hehe...

See, I'd say Stones and Coke (and full pun intended).

Now, we found something out about each other. Learning is fun.

modage

hahaha, stones and coke.  thats a good one.   :yabbse-grin:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: BigBadDeath5.  Sigur Ros - Agaetius Byrjiun
20. Radiohead - Kid A
22. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
26. The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
29. Radiohead - OK Computer
37. Weezer - Pinkerton
40. Weezer - Weezer

:yabbse-thumbup:

KingBlackDeath

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: BigBadDeath25. The Music Tapes - 1st Imaginary Symphony for Nomad

I can't imagine anyone else in the world ranking that album as high as you do.

Yer nutso fer that Elephant 6 insanity, aincha?

I luvs my E6, LUVS MY E6!
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Mesh

Quote from: BigBadDeathI luvs my E6, LUVS MY E6!

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is by far the collective's greatest single achievement.

I reviewed Great Lakes' first album for Pitchfork....negatively.  I was so fed up with the E6 sound at the time.

NEON MERCURY

um...here are my top 100 albums of all time so far.  they got sentimental value and i think they are genrally good shit.  

pink floyd [the wall, animals, the final cut, the piper at the gates of dawn, wish you were here, meddle,]
roger waters [the pros and cons of hitchiking, amused to death]

the verve [urban hymns, a northern soul]
richard ashcroft [alone w/everybody, whatever the name of his second one is...]

tool [lateralus]
a perfect circle [13 step]

pearl jam [ten, vs., vitology, no code, yield, binural, riot act]
alice in chains [dirt, jar of flies]

neil young [harvest moon, harvest, glenndale, sleeps w/angels, unplugged, after the gold rush, on the beach, rust never sleeps]

mother love bone [i think its called 'mother love bone?]

nine inch nails [the fragile, the downward spiral, with teeth, ....and broken]

queens of the stone age [rated r, songs for the deaf, lullabyies to paralyze]

mark lanegan [field songs, i'll take care of you, bubblegum]

tom waits [real gone]

the beatles [abbey road, magical mystery tour, white album, revolver, let it be]

portishead [live]

u2 [greatest hits vol I, pop]

bright eyes [digital ash in a digital urn, fevers and mirrors]

medeski, martin and wood [end of the world party]

wilco [being there, yankee hotel foxtrot]

the flaming lips [the soft bulletine, yoshime battles the pink robots]

radiohead [ok computer, hail to the thief, the bends]

stephen malkmus [face the truth, pig lib]

widespread panic [ain't life grand]

jim o'rourke [insignificance]

marvin gay [the definative collection disk 2]

the velvet underground [& nico, loaded]
lou reed [the raven, magic and loss, the blue mask, transformer, berlin, the bells]

david bowie [outside, station to station, hunky dory, heathen, ziggy stardust, earthling]

lost highway soundtrack
mulholland dr. soundtrack
twin peaks soundtrack

beck [sea change]

prince [musicology]

morrisey [that new live album]

built to spill [ancient melodies of the future, perfect from now own]

the rolling stones [40 licks]

tupac shakur [all eyes on me]

n.e.r.d. [their first one]

bob dylan [nashville skyline]

gorillaz [demon days]

primus [sailing the seas of cheese]

mad season [above]

spoon [gimme fiction]

temple of the dog [self-titled?]

live [throwing copper]

jackie brown soundtrack

sublime [40oz. to freedom]

...don't i have great taste?....

hedwig

yes you do! and i was happy to see those Lynch soundtracks on there. but what's with the  exclusion of Aladdin Sane from the Bowie parenthetical?

Just Withnail

Quote from: Hedwigyes you do! and i was happy to see those Lynch soundtracks on there. but what's with the  exclusion of Aladdin Sane Diamond Dogs from the Bowie parenthetical?

NEON MERCURY

both of those bowie albums would have made it but i listened to them so much the effect has worn off..i still like 'em though

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: NEON MERCURYprince [musicology]

Really?  Over any other Prince album?  Not disputing that it's good but... really?

Quote from: NEON MERCURYdavid bowie [outside...

So underrated.  

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...don't i have great taste?....

Not bad, though the Sublime throws me off a bit.   :saywhat: