Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI figured you were the only proud owner of the Criterion editions of The Rock and Armageddon.

That would be me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI figured you were the only proud owner of the Criterion editions of The Rock and Armageddon.
That would be me.
Stefen,

do you have any "Double Owned" pictures?

Stefen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: MacGuffin
That would be me.
Stefen,

do you have any "Double Owned" pictures?

This one is for Macguffin

My custom rank should be Director Of OWNEDography.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

That is such a damn funny picture... my first reaction was laughter, my second immediate reaction was to show it to friends...  which is a lot more trouble than I usually go to, so... y'know, it's... really funny is what I'm getting at.

GOOD JOB!

Pubrick

Quote from: StefenMy custom rank should be Director Of OWNEDography.
no that would kill the joke.

like shanghai did with  :(
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: SoNowThenUgh. This might be the one time I frown on a Criterion decision.

I figured you were the only proud owner of the Criterion editions of The Rock and Armageddon.

The Rock for sure. But it's a solid action flick.

I'm sorry, but Linklater has always been trash for me, and the 10 mintues or so I was forced to sit through of Slacker were some of the most painful minutes of my film-watching life. If you're gonna make a movie that looks/sounds shittier than mine, it better be damn amazing.

I'm reminded of when Scorsese saw Clerks for the first time, and he saw Smith's dedication to Linklater (among others), saying "they paved the way", and Marty laughed and said "oh yeah, they really paved the way".  :roll:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

puddnanners

I just got back from a Spike Lee lecture and Q & A at my school, and someone asked him if there are any talks of Criterion doing another one of his movies, and he said that She's Gotta Have It will be the next.  I can't recall if this has all ready been mentioned in this thread, and if it has, i apologize, but I figured that this is pretty solid info being that it is straight from Mr. Lee's mouth.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: puddnannersI just got back from a Spike Lee lecture and Q & A at my school, and someone asked him if there are any talks of Criterion doing another one of his movies, and he said that She's Gotta Have It will be the next.  I can't recall if this has all ready been mentioned in this thread, and if it has, i apologize, but I figured that this is pretty solid info being that it is straight from Mr. Lee's mouth.

Awesome news. I posted this at the CC forum and not only are they happy, but they believe it too. The forum is a tough crowd in dealing with rumors and She's Gotta Have It has been on the edge of a likely candidate for a while now.

Gold Trumpet

Interesting development to The Battle of Algiers dvd forthcoming by Criterion, which is the announcement of a 3 disc set and many modern directors to pay tribute to the film. Courtesy of www.criterionco.com :

The Battle of Algiers 3-DVD Set Coming in Autumn

Criterion's upcoming release of Gillo Pontecorvo's landmark 1965 film The Battle of Algiers will be a three DVD set. This special edition will include a new transfer supervised by cinematographer Marcello Gatti and a number of features created specifically for the Criterion release, including new interviews with writer/director Gillo Pontecorvo, producer/actor Saadi Yacef, actor Jean Martin, Marcello Gatti, composer Ennio Morricone, and historians Benjamin Stora and Alistair Horne. Also featured will be filmmakers speaking to the film's importance, including directors Steven Soderbergh, Julian Schnabel, and Spike Lee. Look for Criterion's The Battle of Algiers this autumn

context, context, context.

Stefen

Wow. That sounds awesome. So much cool people involved with that release.

Wasn't criterion supposed to release bressons au hasard balthazar?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Chest Rockwell

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: StefenWasn't criterion supposed to release bressons au hasard balthazar?

Yea, expect it in the near future....like next 6 months I'm guessing.

Ravi

Quote from: Chest RockwellO' my lack of money! Alack!

If it is money you lack,
You can always sell crack.

Find Your Magali

Wonder if PTA will be included among the directors commenting on Algiers. He really should be. ... He lists it in his introduction to the Boogie Nights script when talking about his various "templates" for that movie.