Powerful scenes/sequences

Started by ©brad, March 05, 2003, 05:22:24 AM

Alethia

Spike

The very last shot of "Once Upon A Time in America", where Bobby De Niro smiles and this sad music starts.

The scene in "Magnolia", where Bill Macy is sitting together with Henry Gibson in the bar and the Supertramp-song "When I was young..." starts.

The scene in "Boogie Nights", in which Jack is walking through this kind of factory right before the Amber at court-scene. The music was simply amazing! Where can I find that music?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

MacGuffin

Quote from: SpikeThe scene in "Boogie Nights", in which Jack is walking through this kind of factory right before the Amber at court-scene. The music was simply amazing! Where can I find that music?

It's Michael Penn's "The Big Top" on "Boogie Nights Soundtrack 1"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Spike

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: SpikeThe scene in "Boogie Nights", in which Jack is walking through this kind of factory right before the Amber at court-scene. The music was simply amazing! Where can I find that music?

It's Michael Penn's "The Big Top" on "Boogie Nights Soundtrack 1"

Thanks! I'll check it out as soon as possible!
Michael Penn and Jon Brion are really fucking geniuses!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

nineteenseventyseven

Hopefully this thread will be resurrect...
This is more therapeutic for me so:

Lost In Translation--Bob leaving Tokyo
The Kid Stays In the Picture--Ali McGraw leaving with Steve McQueen
Magnolia--whole movie; the last half specifically
Boogie Nights--the whole downward spiral sequence and everything after
Kill Bill vol.2--Beatrix and Bill confrontation
American Movie--Uncle Bill's end monologue
Adaptation--Donald Kaufman's death
La Dolce Vita--monster on the beach ending
Buffalo '66--the last few minutes
Rushmore--"Oh La La" slo-mo dance
Royal Tenenbaums--"Fairest of the Seasons" ending
Sideways--Miles' light cry when talking to his ex-wife
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind--so many
American Beauty--after Kevin Spacey's murder
Annie Hall--Los Angeles goodbye; memories
The Godfather Part II--Fredo's murder
I waste time.

matt35mm

Bloody Sunday--from when the first real bullet is fired to the end of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2 (goes on for 4 minutes after the end credits or so).

Y'know, a single (or a few) onscreen guns freak me out.  Once they fire, I'm cool.  The scenes where the gun never fires drive me crazy with tension.  When the gun is on the BRINK of going off... or when there is a gun that might accidentally go off.

Scenes where a whole bunch of guns are firing are quite soothing, actually.

aalixjr

for me it's the scene in whale rider where the girl is kissing the whale...
"Fuck damnation.  Fuck redemption.  We are God's unwanted children, with no special place and no special attention, and so be it.  Self-improvement is masturbation. Self-destruction is the answer..." - Tyler Durden

cine

yeah thats pretty hot, huh.. whale-on-girl action...

you sicken me.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinephilewhale-on-girl action...

Mmmmmm...humpback style.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Two Lane Blacktop

The whole "Mad World" montage at the end of Donnie Darko, with everyone waking up and their various reactions.

When Robin Williams is following Amanda Plummer through Grand Central Station in The Fisher King, and everyone but them starts a waltz...  and then, on cue, everybody stops at the same moment and the dream is over.  That gives me chills (in a good way).  

Alec Baldwin's entire scene in Glengarry Glen Ross...  that'll peel the paint right off your living room walls.  

The first murder scene in Dario Argento's Suspiria, when a disembodied arm smashes through a window, grabs a woman standing there, and then pulls her face into the glass.  It makes no sense whatsoever, but it is incredibly freaky to behold.

2LB
Body by Guinness

Alethia

Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop...  that'll peel the paint right off your living room walls.  

i don't know why, but that really made me laugh.

kotte

A scene I've been thinking about for weeks now...

Lars von Triers The Kingdom
Stig Helmer talks to the mother of the child he brain damaged during surgery.
"I've opened a few skulls in my time. That snot-nosed kid wasn't the first."

Ice-cold,  horrible and fantastic...

Myxo

Sixth Sense..

There is a moment in the film when a father watches the video of his wife poisoning their daughter. The slow push-in on his face and the music to match is flawless.

jenkins

polkablues

What do you mean, what do you mean
My house, my rules, my coffee