Bowling for Columbine DVD

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 12, 2003, 10:12:08 AM

BonBon85

I hope it includes some responses to the controversies regarding the "manipulative" moments of the film. (This is not to imply the film wasn't manipulative, but I'm curious to hear his defense other than the things he's written that were posted elsewhere on the board).

Keener

Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: StringstrokerSo that's why it was delayed: Michael Moore will answer those who blasted his Oscar night slam on President Bush when Bowling for Columbine finally comes to stores on August 19th. The MGM disc will feature a new interview with the filmmaker about his Oscar victory and the controversial acceptance speech (the disc will also include a  transcript of the speech and accompanying stills from the evening). Among the six hours of additional supplements on the disc will be an introduction to the film by Moore, a feature-length audio commentary by Moore's production office receptionist and interns, other Moore interviews, and a video montage of Moore's appearances at film festivals around the world.
-source Davisdvd.com

happy happy happy happy very happy thank you

godardian

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: Lesterthats my birthday.

you guys want to chip in and buy it for me?

i dont even know you

Um... I think he was joking. Maybe you are, too...

...I may actually force myself to check this DVD out upon its arrival to my local rental outlet. I'm going to presumptuously guess that much of the additional content will be self-congratulatory enough to make me clench my fists and grit my teeth in annoyance, but given that Jeremy Blackman is a reliable voice of reason on this board and also a staunch defender of Moore, I may be willing to give it another try.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

More specs for you, Jeremy:

After a few months delay, MGM Home Entertainment has announced the full specs for Michael Moore's Oscar-winning lightning rod Bowling for Columbine. Now set for an August 19th release, this feature-packed special edition includes a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and English 5.1 Dolby surround track, plus an introduction by Moore, an audio commentary "by the production office receptionist and the interns," the "Return to Denver/Littleton" and "Film Festival Scrapbook" featurettes, three Michael Moore interviews including his Charlie Rose Show appearance, a chat with Clinton Press Secretary Joe Lockhart and a new interview post-Oscars, a Marilyn Manson "Fight Song" music video, a still gallery and the theatrical trailer. DVD-ROM extras include the "Teacher's Guide" education materials and "Mike's Action Guide," plus further weblinks. Retail is $26.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Can't get enough of Michael Moore? Debuting on August 19th from Warner Home Video is the documentarian's acclaimed Roger & Me, which will make a nice double bill with his Bowling for Columbine, which also hits stores in August. The DVD includes a transfer in the film's original 1.33:1 full screen, a Dolby mono track, new audio commentary by Moore and the trailer. Retail is $19.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Just for you, JB:

The Extras

They certainly spared no expense in the extras, although the bulk of the content is in celebration of Moore and the movie, and not the issues raised in the movie. First is a 20 minute segment in his backyard with his Oscar, talking about the infamous acceptance speech. The Academy wouldn't let him include the footage of the speech on the disc, so he simply addresses the award and the audience reaction to his speech.

Then there's Return to Denver/Littleton, a 25 minute clip of him speaking at the University of Denver six months after the movie was released. Half of it is him attacking President Bush and the other half is him discussing the making of the movie, which includes second-guessing the cops who responded to the scene.

There are other interviews with Charlie Rose and with former White House press secretary Joe Lockhart, where he states unequivocally that Attorney General John Ashcroft is a bigger threat than Osama Bin Laden. Make of that what you will.

Marilyn Manson returns with his video for The Fight Song, although amusingly, the obscenities are beeped out. The documentary is R-rated and has its share of dirty words and harsh images, but a Marilyn Manson song is censored?

Moore also included The Awful Truth II: Corporate Cops, part of his anti-rich people obsession, where he parodies the show Cops by pursuing corporate criminals. Mike's Action Guide simply tells you to go to the Bowling for Columbine Website for more information, as does the Teacher's Guide. There's also a photo gallery of all the people involved in the production and the movie's trailer.

Most obnoxious is the audio commentary by receptionists and interns. It might have made for a good laugh if at least one of them was funny. Most of them sound very young and act it. Besides, this is a documentary, so people talking over talking turns it into noise.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Mmmmmm..... one more long day...

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanMmmmmm..... one more long day...
i'm totally in the future.

but broke, so it don't mean shit  :shock:
under the paving stones.

filmcritic

Looking forward to tomorrow...

"And I think to myself what a wonderful world."  :wink:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

modage

Quote from: filmcriticLooking forward to tomorrow...

"And I think to myself what a wonderful world."  :wink:

why?  is it michael moores birthday?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

I picked up Bowling for Columbine at Best Buy today at a criminally cheap $16.99... Strange, though, that they don't sell Roger & Me.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI picked up Bowling for Columbine at Best Buy today at a criminally cheap $16.99... Strange, though, that they don't sell Roger & Me.

My Best Buy had a large supply of "Roger & Me" DVDs. Got it for $15. It's even advertised in their weekly flyer. Better go back and ask, JB.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinMy Best Buy had a large supply of "Roger & Me" DVDs. Got it for $15. It's even advertised in their weekly flyer. Better go back and ask, JB.

Strange. Why doesn't it show up on their website? Well, it's the same price at Amazon.com.

Dirk

Has anyone seen the Awful Truth? I'm intrigued by it and was wondering if it's worth it. I like both of his films and both of his books, if that's any help.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.