What DVDs did you get for the Christmas?

Started by Banky, December 03, 2003, 01:16:54 PM

Banky

Myabe this idea for a thread is a little premature, but i wanted to make a thread that people could list all the DVD's they receive as gifts.  I know that all of us have DVD's on our wish lists and this could be a place to put the ones you get whether they be good, or ones to take back.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Bankytake back.
every year...never fails...someone buys me the DAMN FULLSCREEN edition of something. no matter how many times i drill widescreen into their heads.  So I always have one to take back...

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

I received Bruce Lee: The Master Collection for Christmas a few years ago.  I've bought more DVDs with money I've gotten for Christmas than I've received as gifts.

ElPandaRoyal

Now that I have my own money, Idoubt people will be as good with DVDs as they've been in the past  :x
Si

Gamblour.

When my parents asked me what I wanted, I looked back on last year and thought of all the dvds I got and was like "Man, did I really need all those?" After giving them a list and buying myself some dvds, I've determined yes, yes I did need those.

What I'm Getting: The Third Man, Three Colors Trilogy, Ghostbusters, Psycho, Royal Tennenbaums, Bottle Rocket, Wrong Men and Notorious Women box set, Straw Dogs (which my mother had heard of, and actually loves, I was so shocked).
WWPTAD?

Banky

i have asked for two towers extended edition thats all so far,im sure ill ask for some more

Gamblour.

Quote from: Bankyi have asked for two towers extended edition thats all so far,im sure ill ask for some more
It's soo soo soo good. Just watching Peter Jackson direct makes him one of my favorite directors.
WWPTAD?

Ernie

Oh man, I still make the lists myself, this is very much a work in progress, it's a lot more than I'll actually be getting, there's certain stuff I probably won't be getting, I'm still narrowing it down more and more everyday....

DVD's

aguirre: the wrath of god
the art of buster keaton box set
back to the future trilogy
brother's keeper
citizen kane
coming home
the cook, the thief, his wife & her lover
down by law
drop dead fred
five corners
the lion king
little monsters
love is colder than death
the marx bros box set
my life to live
salesman
the sandlot
shadows
the shooting
street of no return
the third man
a woman under the influence

VHS

hoop dreams
mouchette
over the edge
streetwise
wild at heart

BOOKS

cassevetes on cassavetes
godard on godard
how we talk: american regional english today

Sleuth

Quote from: ebeamanI still make the lists myself...this is very much a work in progress....

DVD's

aguirre: the wrath of god
the art of buster keaton box set
brother's keeper
coming home
the cook, the thief, his wife & her lover
down by law
drop dead fred
five corners
the lion king
little monsters
love is colder than death
my life to live
salesman
the sandlot
shadows
the shooting
street of no return
a woman under the influence

VHS

hoop dreams
mouchette
over the edge
streetwise
wild at heart

BOOKS

cassevetes on cassavetes
godard on godard
how we talk: american regional english today

DO YOU GET THE MAJORITY OF THAT?
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

Quote from: SlobhDO YOU GET THE MAJORITY OF THAT?

Hell no, that's what I meant by the work in progress part, I definitely will have to narrow it down quite a bit more than I already have.

The books I'll get no problem cause my mom loves to see me read...and the VHS' aren't that bad cause you can get them relatively cheap used on amazon...I might have to knock off 1 or 2 of them depending on availibility which I'm not sure if any of them or out of print or anything. And I'll more than likely have to knock off at least 5-6 of the dvd's too, depending on how much my aunts and grandma's are going to spend on me....and I'm cool with that, I'll get it all sooner or later.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: ebeamanhow we talk: american regional english today
like, yo bro...what's the haps?  I amped for dis weekend shmmy himmy.  grind, grind....word.

Weak2ndAct

XMAS is when I always ask the 'rents for box sets.  Last year I scored Band of Brothers and The Shield Season 1 (santa mistakenly stocked them at Borders early).  This year, I'm demanding the Criterion Hitchcock set (especially since 3 of them are going OOP).  That Alien box would be nice too.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Weak2ndActXMAS is when I always ask the 'rents for box sets.
absolutely, last year ET found it's way to my door.  this year, i don't think i really asked for any, just a bunch of criterion odd balls that i don't what to spend my own money on.  (damn that sounds bad, but i get them good presents too...)

SoNowThen

Ebs, the Godard On Godard book is oop, I think....

it's damn good though, if you can find it.

Yeah, my list is sickly long. My Dad had to convert it to an Excel file to organize it. But I always tell relatives: just pick one small thing if you must buy me something, one dvd means a lot to me. And so I give them a nice, comprehensive list (a la ebeaman) to choose from...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.