INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Nice! It's great to get a feel of things. :yabbse-thumbup:

If you don't want to read discussion of the FIRST TWO clips, probably stop reading this thread for a week or something.

I didn't know there would be humor at Doc's expense. That look Benicio gives him is priceless.

"What's up, Doc?" (LOL) I didn't know that was a thing in the book/movie. Now the Bugs Bunny pics make more sense... didn't expect that to be actual dialogue.

max from fearless

Drenk

Quote from: Larry Sportello on December 07, 2014, 07:31:09 PM
christmas came early with these clips

umm im not exactly sure about the toronto release dates have been reading 12th here and 25th there...saw a massive poster of iv on this theatre off the expressway....really hoping its this week though!!

It's 25. I've seen a poster for Canada and it was written.
Ascension.

SailorOfTheSeas

6 IV clips!!

http://collider.com/inherent-vice-clips-josh-brolin/ Clips in order:
1. Doc and Shasta at the beginning
2. Sauncho, Doc and Bigfoot at police station
3. Sloane Wolfmann
4. Doc and Sauncho
5. Police investigate car
6. Doc and Penny

Drenk

A TV Spot. I haven't watched it. The first seconds seem real.

Ascension.

Axolotl

Quote from: Drenk on December 08, 2014, 04:05:06 PM

These are doing a pretty good job of selling it. People are going to hate this film.

max from fearless

IT'S PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON WEEK AT GRANTLAND!

http://grantland.com/tags/paul-thomas-anderson-week/

The first piece is on Paul Thomas Anderson's Los Angeles.

max from fearless

I like the those trailers but that's not the movie I saw by a country mile. I know they wanna get bums on seats but word of mouth once people see the thing will be: it's nothing like the way the trailer sells it. I would love to see a trailer a bit more in line with the movie's tone/pace, but I get why they're doing it! And I don't blame them. And it's Warner Bros godammit. So kudos to them for taking a chance with this movie, that's fuckin' great!

But I'm also worried that this could maybe be the worst reviewed PTA movie so far, judging from the quotes used on the trailer and stuff like this:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2014/12/fair-warning-fan/

I hope it doesn't hurt his next move, but I doubt it. Dude doesn't give a fuck and that's the way to be. Keep changing, moving, venturing out. I cannot wait to see it again. You lucky bastards in NY/LA.

©brad

The guy's a moron (the reviewer, not PTA).

I hate it when critics claim to dislike movies that don't take risks until they finally see one that does. Then they hate it for doing so.

porgy

Quote from: ©brad on December 08, 2014, 07:41:47 PM
The guy's a moron (the reviewer, not PTA).

I hate it when critics claim to dislike movies that don't take risks until they finally see one that does. Then they hate it for doing so.

I think IV is  good movie, I'm more excited to see it again.  but so far the marketing has been way off.  IV could have been that movie, but it isn't, whether it's better or worse off for it is for brighter minds to consider.

P Heat

These new teasers and previous videos/interviews of actors and P.T talking about mystery noir style of the film makes me just keep thinking about Chinatown.  So like Chinatown the comedy version.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Gittes

I am not a big fan of Jeffrey Wells' writing. I only skimmed the linked article, as I haven't seen IV yet and Wells loves spoiling stuff in the context of a "review" (or via an obnoxious, thoughtless informal riff and/or an inconsiderate headline and photo combination, etc.).

For starters, the tone of that post is silly. Wells positions himself like PTA's well-meaning but condescending friend; it's like he's imparting some advice to a buddy.

I also see he draws a parallel between Joyce and Anderson and argues that this is "not cool," which is a really bizarre statement. So, Anderson's work is evoking the legacy of one of the most revered and sui generis writers in history and this is a bad thing? Yes, Joyce is often labelled as "difficult," but that word shouldn't always be used pejoratively.

Moreover, given the specifities of each artist and his respective medium, I'm assuming Wells is making a very basic, off-the-cuff comparison between Joyce's reputation and Anderson's films. A more substantial comparison between the two is best left to someone with ample knowledge of Joyce, Anderson and Pynchon's respective work... I'm not certain that Joyce is really the best literary analogue, but it would make for an interesting discussion.

So, following Wells' argument, we ought to tell Anderson to reign it in and offer us something more vanilla and readily comprehensible or something? Something more palatable or within a more digestible, super coherent framework? No. He's on a roll; let him be. The results have been magnificent.

Also, Wells admires There Will Be Blood but argues that The Master's "studied opaqueness was a bit of a problem." I wouldn't use those same words but what he's referring to is a VIRTUE, not a "problem." If, as Wells suggests, IV is an amplification of The Master's aesthetic and narrative characteristics, then that sounds great. That's hardly a red flag.

The Master is really just an astounding accomplishment, by the way. I hope its reputation will only improve as time goes on. A recent revisit had me in awe once again, and I was totally struck by the enormity of sadness and beauty contained in that film. I continue to find its distinct rhythms and idiosyncrasies absolutely exhilarating. It's bracing in the best way possible. The fascination of the film, its mixture of sublime craftsmanship and intriguing aesthetic/narrative maneuvers, recalls Eyes Wide Shut (this is meant as high praise).

My only concern with regards to the critical reception is how it might affect Anderson's financing for future films (as mentioned by max) but I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Drenk

Joaquin Phoenix is being ultra-friendly on talk shows for Inherent Vice.

And you have a narrative between the two shows, by the way. And the clip from IV in Letterman is the one with a spoiler.

Ascension.

Korova

This clip is perfect:

It actually captures the feeling of reading a Pynchon book. This constant paranoia, but also the hilariousness of it all. I'm already in love with this movie. Shame I will apparently only be able to see it in March...