The 2004 Xixax DEKAPENTICON

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 07, 2004, 02:52:19 AM

modage

2010 is too soon for a Dekapenticon!  If it's coming now, I'm skipping voting completely because there are hundreds of films I want to see before I make a list for the greatest of all time.

But seriously, Vote for The 2010 Xixax Awards.  :yabbse-grin:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ρ on January 28, 2010, 09:36:19 AM
consider the case of Citizen Kane, it wasn't recognized as the masterpiece it was until decades later. if the french freaks hadn't started talking about it, who knows when it would hav been properly assessed. those cheese-eating surrender-monkeys WISHED they'd been around (beyond being toddlers) when that movie came out so they could hav given Awesome Welles his proper due.. so this is what happened: he got his due, not that it mattered by then other than giving him the ability to crash at a few critics houses when he was wacked out on Paul Masson champagne, and now everyone and his illiterate Dan Brown loving cousin knows that it's the best movie ever made, and then in 2004 and 2006 it made the xixax dekapenticon.

The Citizen Kane example is just wrong. It was made in 1941 but because of the war it wasn't released in most of Europe until the late 1940s. The release date around each country was different so it never had a real worldwide release. Anyways, when Sight and Sound came out with their 1952 list of top ten films of all time, while Citizen Kane didn't make the list, it was the closest runner-up to making the list (followed by Grand Illusion and Grapes of Wrath). By 1962, it became #1, but by 1952 (and with less than a 10 year history in Europe) it was already ranked amongst the classics.

I'm not appealing for films to attain an ancient history before being voted on, but I wouldn't mind a little history. Even five years sounds reasonable to vote on a film, but that's just me and if someone believes in There Will be Blood enough to vote now, I would disagree but ultimately not give a shit.