Peter Travers' 10 Best Movies of the Decade

Started by Derek, December 13, 2009, 09:43:36 AM

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

martinthewarrior

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on December 14, 2009, 07:29:28 PM
Quote from: Derek on December 14, 2009, 06:09:53 PM
So, you qualify them as generic because they're not obscure? And because they're not obscure and were well received it lowers their quality? Maybe not the list I'd put together either, but to call Travers a teenager for liking these movies is as out of left field and arbritary an attack as I've heard. Popularity doesn't equal cinematic junk food.

It's not advertising for obscurity to ask for a little variety. In fact, considering Travers representation as a "major" critic, it just shows his ineffeciency as a critic that most of his films where what publicists were arguing as that year's best movie for the Oscars. It could be coincidence that all of his choices are overly familar and popular, but it seems like he either has bad taste or is just bowing to a populace list. Even Roger Ebert would make his lists pretty varied and reflective of a critical tastebud, but I have no notion of critical taste in Travers' list at all.

Wasn't W on your top films of the decade list? Yes, Travers list is goofy, but not as goofy as your posts.

Gold Trumpet

W was #25 so not anywhere near the top ten, but I'll definitely defend the choice anyday. The only problem here is that you can't defend that bogus post because it has nothing to say. I might as well speak in code of "W. = Good" because my thumbs up or down is all that seems to matter to some here. The rest must only be filler.

Derek

No you just talk in circles pretending to have something important to say and either people get bored or confused with your rambles and you think you've won the argument. I've got to wonder if you even like movies, the large portion of your posts seem to be spent tearing most of them down. Sitting down to watch a movie must be exhausting considering the hoops it would have to jump through not to earn your disdain. I don't give a damn which way your thumb is pointing.

I hope to one day become enlightened and see movies on your level, and perhaps my world will open up and I can stop slumming it with the likes of Peter Travers.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Amusing. You say I just ramble around my points, but yet you just rambled (in a small way) around your statement that my reviews are useless. You say people get confused by my posts, but I've had very long discussions with other people way back when I wasn't even very good at discussing movies. Look at the Full Metal Jacket thread for example. Also my intention is never to win arguments, but write something at length where I come to an understanding about what I think. Trying to write out your thoughts is revelatory because it allows your brain to untangle the thoughts and feelings you have about something. Beyond that, your only insight is that I don't seem to like movies because the majority of my posts are negative, but actually the whole of my posts are more positive than negative about movies. I'm either too negative because I've bashed your favorite movies or you don't care to read what I have to say most of the time. If either, fine, I don't mind.

Pas

GT, I reckon you are one of the best on the board at very clearly expressing yourself. Also you are a teacher so it makes sense that I would have a question for you (sorry for the continued thread derail).

When you make these long posts about films etc, do they take a long time and a lot of thought/work or is it your instinct to be like that?

I ask that because sometimes I watch a film or hear something and feel I am on the brink of a very good idea/thought but I have a hard time making something coherent out of it (see my Come and See post for a good example of me wanting to talk about something and sucking a lot at it, but it can be even worst)

I don't know if you can identify the emotion I am talking about, to be certain your ''brain" understood a great truth but it has a hard time telling it to "you"... fucked up way to put it but whatever

My gf (who majored in psychology but I don't think she spoke of it in relation to her studies) believes I might have a hard time making my thoughts clear in words because I have no language... my maternal language is french and I work and live in french from 8 to 5 but my nights and even some social life are in english.....which means I am proficient in both languages but master neither.

kinda rambling there, but yeah.

Stefen

GT has the best taste on the board.

He also has the worst.

GT's top five movies of all time.

5. 2001
4. 8 1/2
3. The Bicycle Thief
2. Throne of Blood
1. (tie) Any Given Sunday/Be Cool
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pas Rap on December 15, 2009, 12:45:34 PM
When you make these long posts about films etc, do they take a long time and a lot of thought/work or is it your instinct to be like that?

It's instinctual. Before I write something, I have no concept of what length will be appropriate. There is no pre-planned idea of what will make for the most discerning or professional analysis. I just have a lot of things buzzing around my brain so I just go about trying to release it on a page. As I'm trying to interpret my thoughts and feelings, the process of writing allows me to make sense of my emotions and change things if it feels like I have to. Then further editing allows me to clear any leftover cobwebs. Sometimes I feel like a do a decent job and sometimes I feel I still need to crack the lock of a subject.

I understand what you mean about feeling unable to make coherence out of something you want to say. Even though you think I can clearly express myself, I always feel am having difficulty finding the words to say how I feel. I've come to the conclusion it's just something that will always exist. I'm a lot better than I was a few years ago and I have people like Budgie to thank for being patient with me, but the only way to get better is to continue to put yourself out there and not take any slams too serious. Just make editing your best friend and something you always do. Over time, things will get easier. Also don't be afraid to start write a post and step away if necessary. Sometimes I'll quickly save a post to document and return to it later if I'm feeling too frazzled to tackle it then.

And Stefen, I think you're joking, but I have no idea where the joke even is so I'm just going shrug shoulders.

Stefen

Yeah, I was joking. You know you're me boy. I just mean you have excellent taste and probably some of the best knowledge on the board but sometimes you tend to overrate standard popcorn fare which is funny. 
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I don't know if its overrating when your common description words are "fun", "enjoyable" and the lengthier, "good time". It's just me being open with the bone in all of us that just finds movies naturally enjoyable, but if a film has some moxy, then things change. 

Gold Trumpet

Roger Ebert's Top Ten of the Decade: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/12/the_best_films_of_the_decade.html

See, I disagree with half of the list and even think a few are just bad movies, but that's a list. It shows personal reflection and variety to its tastebuds. I still think Roger Ebert is vastly overrated as a critic because there is hardly a film movement or style he won't praise, but he shows his real personality when forced to pick and choose between which films really speak to him. I also like he decorates his list with additional commentary to explain why he chose what, but that's a list that piques my curiosity in the best ways.

Stefen

The inclusion of movies like Juno and Crash completely invalidates his otherwise great film picks.

He's overrating popcorn!

Gold Trumpet

Haha, well no list is perfect. I have yet to find a list of any kind where I actually like everything listed, but on your point about Crash, here is an interesting take from Andrew Sullivan to why it's the worst film of the decade: http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/12/worst_movie_of_the_decade.php

Stefen

My list will be perfect. It will be more perfect than anything we've ever seen.