voting for the Xixax Dekapenticon

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 05:05:36 PM

Banky

yeah all he sends out is negativity about films

kotte

I totally respect him. He seems like a very intelligent guy.

He just hates about every movie made today. :)

Hope I'm not offending you GT.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: abuck1220could you even think up 30 vote-worthy films for your list?

It was tough, but I accomplished it and was pretty diplomatic in the variety of movies I nominated. There's a recent movie I'm sure no one voted for and half the people here even disliked, but I voted for it. Of course, I can't say what it is right now.

Quote from: Bankyyeah all he sends out is negativity about films.

Only way to start discussion. Always seemed pointless to me to just agree with everyone else.

And gracias, kotte! no offense taken at all.

SoNowThen

I like GT's discerning eye. As much as it frustrates me sometimes, I know that when he likes a movie, it'll at least be worth seeing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI have the strangest feeling I may like only 3 to 5 of the 50 films nominated. I kinda find that funny.

Well, that's all of PTA's films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abuck1220

i hope this doesn't turn into a pta jack off fest, but i'm afraid it will.

i also hope that the list goes a little farther back in time than say, the imdb top 20 does.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI have the strangest feeling I may like only 3 to 5 of the 50 films nominated. I kinda find that funny.

Well, that's all of PTA's films.

Maybe not. I've recently gone against Hard Eight, but hopefully thats not nominated. Boogie Nights and Magnolia have severe problems of foundation, but Boogie Nights is much worst, though I still like the film. Punch-Drunk Love holds up the best so far.

So, yea, three films that likely will be nominated that I'll like, but maybe not as enthusiastically as some may think or hope.

SoNowThen

I'm just fighting the dread that I know, deep down inside, there's probably gonna be a Spielberg movie on the final 15 list...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: abuck1220i hope this doesn't turn into a pta jack off fest, but i'm afraid it will.

It will for the first couple of years, but as the site progresses and members come and go, I think that will be eradicated. I also think Magnolia may block Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love because a lot of people will support the idea of variety and may only pick one PTA film.

kotte

People take dekapenticon really seriously (which is great)...I regret I've already sent mine in.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm just fighting the dread that I know, deep down inside, there's probably gonna be a Spielberg movie on the final 15 list...

As there should be. I certainly hope a certain film of his is on that final list. You should be dreading the idea it is more likely for a Jean-Luc Godard film not to show up anywhere on the ballot of 50 films to pick from.

SoNowThen

hehe "as there should be"...

if there's no Fellini or Godard, yeah, I'll probably have a little bitch-fest. However, I'm pretty sure JLG will at least make it onto the 50 list.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI also think Magnolia may block Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love because a lot of people will support the idea of variety and may only pick one PTA film.

You mean in the final 15, right?

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenhehe "as there should be"...

if there's no Fellini or Godard, yeah, I'll probably have a little bitch-fest. However, I'm pretty sure JLG will at least make it onto the 50 list.
I haven't seen enough Fellini or Godard to really appreciate their work.  8 1/2 felt like 8 1/2 hours.  La dolce vita was bittersweet.  Breathless didn't take my breath away.  So yeah, I think some of what will make the ballot is the fact that some people have seen more films than others, and the more popular films are at an advantage.

And as for me, well, I think all of PTA's films are great, and they're hardly going to cancel each other out for my vote.  Four great films are four great films despite who made them.  Sometimes I'm quite snobby about what films I like.  Others, I'm too mainstream.  So that's why I'm especially interested in seeing what other people nominated.  It really gives an insight into other people, and it helps one add to their "must-see" list as well.

Gamblour.

Quote from: SoNowThenI like GT's discerning eye. As much as it frustrates me sometimes, I know that when he likes a movie, it'll at least be worth seeing.

I never read GT's posts, they're too big.
WWPTAD?