UC Berkeley Q&A Session - Mar 9th

Started by Trent, February 25, 2006, 06:25:07 PM

Trent

I can't go to this, but it would be fantastic if someone brought in a video camera or audio recorder and posted the content or a transcript online afterwards for everyone to enjoy. I'd pay for a tape if anyone here COULD record it. I'm interested in hearing this, so would anyone want to try this out?

matt35mm

Got my ticket!

THANK THANK THANK YOU for posting this.  I will look into possibly bringing a camera or some such thing, if I can, and if it's allowed.

modage

matt it is your DUTY to get us a scoop.  audio, pictures, ask a GOOD QUESTION or two, just dont meet him cause then i'll be jealous.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Try and steal me a copy of that poster, if you can.  It may be the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Do they generally allow video cameras into this sort of thing?  There isn't a film screening, so I don't see why not.

I think if I wore or made an XIXAX t-shirt, he would either definitely answer my questions, or definitely avoid me.  I'll think about it.  Or better yet, a t-shirt that says: "I am matt35mm from XIXAX.COM, the film forum for which your (unofficial but still most official) website was the genesis, Sir." or something to that effect.  Dude'll know wassup.

Eee, I'm excited!

Sal

Pozer

I went to "An evening with Robert Towne and Paul Thomas Anderson" at Cal State Northridge right before Punch-Drunk Love came out and was so pissed that I didn't bring a camera.  I don't recall noticing any video cameras but there were plenty of stills.  Got to meet and greet with him afterwards where a point and shoot or camera phone -- ANYTHING would have come in handy.  But all in all, shaking his hand and chatting with him for a few seconds could not be beat.

Also, I stood in line to ask a question but didn't get my turn, so get on that right away if you really want to.  It really sucked actually because I was nervous through most of the thing thinking of what to ask which ruined my enjoyment.  Matt or Sal, I say you go balls out and ask him if you could be a P.A. or just that you want to be a part of his next venture in some small way.  He may respect and grant your wishes... or... not.  It could go both ways really.

modage

please whatever you do dont ask him to be involved with his next film.  at EVERY SINGLE EVENT these guys go to somebody asks them to help get them into the biz.  its annoying and a waste of a question/his time.  it puts them in an awkward situation and he cant possibly help out the hundreds of people who ask him that favor.  its just like when you see a musician and everyone passes them their demo tape, its just not cool.  and during a q&a it's an especially groanworthy question for the rest of the audience.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Trent

The music engineer/producer Steve Albini has done a lecture/Q&A at several universities, and amateur video of every one has been on the internet. Video from different angles of the auditorium, even! I think you should call or go into that place and ask someone soon, so you can plan your recording.

Pozer

Quote from: modage on February 26, 2006, 01:03:03 PM
please whatever you do dont ask him to be involved with his next film.  at EVERY SINGLE EVENT these guys go to somebody asks them to help get them into the biz.  its annoying and a waste of a question/his time.  it puts them in an awkward situation and he cant possibly help out the hundreds of people who ask him that favor.  its just like when you see a musician and everyone passes them their demo tape, its just not cool.  and during a q&a it's an especially groanworthy question for the rest of the audience.
Yeah, you're right.  Don't do that.  If given the chance, what one question would you ask him? 

polkablues

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known As on February 26, 2006, 06:20:07 PM
Quote from: modage on February 26, 2006, 01:03:03 PM
Yeah, you're right.  Don't do that.  If given the chance, what one question would you ask him? 

Ask him if he hated Crash.

No, wait!  Five words... "Will you sign my penis?"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

yea someone should definitly tape this.  when i met him at the PDL screening/Q and A in rochester in 03 there were videocameras everywhere, so no worries.

GoneSavage

There were a lot of great guest speakers as my shit school and it always depended on the guest whether or not they would allow it to be taped.  Kevin Smith = no.  Chuck D = yes.  I would call and please do your best to tape, it's for the good of the land.