I got the PDL DVD - The definitive thread

Started by aurora, June 19, 2003, 04:50:16 AM

aclockworkjj

I think it's cool that he thanks Greg....

Sigur Rós

I got my copy really cheap...like 15 bucks!

cowboykurtis

just picked mine up -- the transfer is bloody wonderful.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtisjust picked mine up -- the transfer is bloody wonderful.

bloody wonderful, huh?  ive heard that before...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Duck Sauce

This is one of the nicest DVDs I have ever seen. The packaging and artwork are perfect, B&B is beautiful, the extras and deleted scenes clue you in a lot to what is happening and it is mos def cool to see some new footage. I had forgotten how pretty the cinematography was, and the deleted sister phone scenes connects with personal experiences of mine.

Everything really flows and it is well put together, exceeded my expectations and I am happy with it. B&B is good because it has deleted footage in a much more PDL way then say just clicking and playing them, they flow and blend in it.

Also, D&D Matress Man comercial is    :shock:

BrainSushi

Just started watching mine after exploring the packaging (Greg is listed under the Special Thanks in the booklet) and something was bothering me - there's like, a green blob in the upper right corner of the letterbox during the whole scene where Barry finds the harmonium. I was like, getting real pissy and started looking for the receipt, but then when Lance arrives for work, the blob  was gone.

Anybody notice that greenness, or is my copy of the movie botched?

Duck Sauce

And in the booklet, Barry isnt wearing his suit....

chainsmoking insomniac

Bought PDL yesterday afternoon, and MY GOD do I love this movie, everything about it really: the packaging, B&B, the SOUND.....I'm in love.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Disco Stu

I bought the DVD yesterday.  It's been a long time since I saw the film (September I guess it was) and I found it even more enjoyable on the second viewing.  Must admit that there was nothing special about the features, not bad but not exceptional.  I liked the commercial though and the booklet looked like it was for a Radiohead CD.

Anyway, I have to tell you guys something.  I was at Blockbuster yesterday trying to rent a couple movies (does anyone know why I can't find George Washington and Interview With the Assassin here in Canada?) and I must have overheard at least six people pass by PDL and wonder what it was.  They thought it was a straight-to-video film.  Naturally, nobody rented it.  So I followed them around for a bit to see what they would find more interesting and of course it was Just Married and other shit.  You know how it works.  

So then I get to the checkout where I'm buying PDL and the clerk tells me that this movie is horrible.  I said it was an acquired taste and not for everyone but she continued with the all too familiar "it wasn't funny!"

And don't you think that John C. Reilly could have played Walter the Dentist?  He even looks like Robert Smigel.
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Disco StuI bought the DVD yesterday.  It's been a long time since I saw the film (September I guess it was) and I found it even more enjoyable on the second viewing.  Must admit that there was nothing special about the features, not bad but not exceptional.  I liked the commercial though and the booklet looked like it was for a Radiohead CD.

Anyway, I have to tell you guys something.  I was at Blockbuster yesterday trying to rent a couple movies (does anyone know why I can't find George Washington and Interview With the Assassin here in Canada?) and I must have overheard at least six people pass by PDL and wonder what it was.  They thought it was a straight-to-video film.  Naturally, nobody rented it.  So I followed them around for a bit to see what they would find more interesting and of course it was Just Married and other shit.  You know how it works.  

So then I get to the checkout where I'm buying PDL and the clerk tells me that this movie is horrible.  I said it was an acquired taste and not for everyone but she continued with the all too familiar "it wasn't funny!"

And don't you think that John C. Reilly could have played Walter the Dentist?  He even looks like Robert Smigel.

You noticed the JCR/Robert Smigel resemblance too?  :)

When I bought my PDL copy at Blockbuster yesterday, the clerk nodded and smiled as I handed it to him.  I nodded and smiled too.  Not every Blockbuster employee is a fucking drone.  :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

jokerspath

Quote from: Disco StuSo then I get to the checkout where I'm buying PDL and the clerk tells me that this movie is horrible.  I said it was an acquired taste and not for everyone but she continued with the all too familiar "it wasn't funny!"

I can't believe some checkout woman has the gall to tell you a movie that you're buying is horrible, like you're gonna go put it back.  

I would've done something, anything, to let her know how much she is just a goddamned sheep and that her opinions are of no consequence at all...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SoNowThen

I've gotten in fights with old ladies at WalMart before over shit like that. Not fist fights, mind you, but I get them pretty frustrated.

Also, in the theatre, when I went to see PDL for the second time, some people were just leaving, and when they overheard I was buying a ticket for PDL, they came over like they were doing me a favor and whispered that I shouldn't see the movie because it was horrible. When I told them it was my second time, they were all confused, and the one chick went on in this "I know everything" voice about how it was an alright movie from an "arty perspective, like the camera was interesting, and film school people should find a lot of interesting stuff", but then she explained to me that it just wasn't that good a movie. I swear, the only thing worse than people who don't give a shit at all about movies, are those people that learn two words like "cinematography" or "pacing", and think they can sum up a film's technical achievments.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

Well said.  :)

I remember watching it the first time in the theater (out of three times) and the minute the credits started rolling, two old ladies (who I heard gasping esp. during the phone sex scene) said it was the weirdest movie they'd ever seen.  The other one agreed with her, then said whoever made the film clearly had no idea how to create a good film.  

I had to restrain myself from kicking them in their cellulite-ridden, cottage-cheese skinned asses.  :twisted:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Derek

I just think it boils down to what most people think movies should be......a mindless, inconsequential distraction for a couple of hours. I'm a quitter, though. I've given up fighting tooth and nail with people who easily dismiss these kinds of movies and have the nerve to think that their opinion matters.

Back to the topic.

I like the dvd. I think the booklet is a waste, and if it did have to come, there should have been a sleeve for it. I love the design of the case, I just wish it had been a traditional cover like the Magnolia and Boogie Nights one, I can just imagine its going to look like shit after some wear and tear.

The deleted scenes didn't do a lot for me, liked the Mattress Man commercial, Blossoms & Blood I loved, esp. the re-working of the car conversation. The artwork segment was more enjoyable than expected, loved the song.

Great transfer, great movie, no layer change.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SoNowThen

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I Love The Cover!

Can't wait to get it home and watch everything. Lent it to my parents last night. They watched and enjoyed. My dad figures most people didn't like it because the harmonium would've confused them (as in, why it's there). We talked about it for awhile. I think he's right. It even bothered me a little bit the first time I saw it.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.