Mad Men

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 21, 2008, 12:51:38 AM

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

i haven't watched an episode, but the previews seem to just show that it's about cheating.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

picolas

madmenyourself got a mention at the beginning of the hater podcast. warning: they hated it.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-quiverfull-of-duggars-n-exploitation,31404/

©brad

Eh, fuck those haters and their witless snark. The dude in it had never even seen the show, and seemed pretty clueless in general.

modage

i thought it was awesome actually!

they've never seen the show. and they're not on facebook (let alone twitter)
the guy had never heard of the site (even though this is an onion av club podcast and the site was featured on the onion av club)
they said "it set the internet on fire last week." (which is awesome!)
and it's called Hatecast, so i figured that was their bag.

thanks for the find, pic.  i sent it around at work.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

anybody seen the new season premiere?

i loved it. brilliant writing and a great way to jump ahead of time a little without making the audience feel lost in the process. don draper is really one of the most fascinating characters in television ever.

©brad

Yeah I loved it too. I think we're the only message board on the internet that isn't obsessively discussing it.

minor spoilers.....

- I thought the fire alarm in the hotel bit was a little contrived but I was happy to see Sal finally get some. I loved the scene on the plane when Don asks Sal to be completely honest, and then goes on to pitch an ad to him, and the double entendre of the "limit your exposure" headline. That was great.
- "Taken to your tools like a little lesbian." hah
- The british invasion of Sterling Cooper is a fascinating dynamic. I predict Don is doomed, that he will eventually get pushed out by an impending creative revolution of the 60s. He's getting old, and he's too cocky to realize it.
- Oh, what happened to Doug Phillips?

tpfkabi

Quote from: bigideas on August 04, 2009, 11:46:58 AM
i haven't watched an episode, but the previews seem to just show that it's about cheating.

if someone's bored convince me why i should watch this show.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

duck phillips is gone (remember the meeting at the end of last season when the brits asked him to leave after he lost his temper?  fill in the blanks there).

i liked the premiere a lot, even more watching it the 2nd time but didn't love it. 

also: there is more peggy in episode 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

the first episode was pretty good. but...

Spoils:

Remember the end of last season with that really haunting image of pete sitting in his office holding the rifle? I honestly thought this season would start at his funeral or something. I really thought some crazy shit was gonna go down but i guess that's tv for ya. can't just kill off a main character like that. This is a great show but don draper has very few redeeming qualities as a human being other than being just the ultimate badass. Last season when he says "I don't have a contract" and duck freaks out, that was priceless. But i wish just for once that the fucker would NOT cheat. He's like McNulty in that he's such an awesome character to watch but he's so flawed in so many ways. I guess its just good writing.

can't wait for episode two. This is the first show in a very long time (like since south park for me) where i'm actually keeping up with the show as it airs on tv.

Someone told me that they're going to try to bring it into at least the 80s by the last season of the series. Is there any truth to this or are my friends all liars?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

your friends are liars.  matthew weiner woudln't even say what year THIS season would take place in let alone a game plan for future seasons. 

Q: Do you see the show running long enough to leave the sixties and enter the seventies, possibly even the eighties? How do you think it would affect the characters, plot lines, and overall feel of the show? - Chelsea C

Weiner: I would love to see what happens to them. That's all I'm going to say.

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2009/08/interview-matthew-weiner-season-3.php

picolas

i didn't love it either. i was really disappointed by how nonchalantly don went with the stewardess. it was as though last season didn't happen. it wasn't a bad episode, but i'd call it overconfident. sometimes i'm a little cautious about the weiner-written eps... i still feel mixed about the one with duck last season where he leaves the dog. felt like an implausibly dramatic gesture to me, and kind of out of nowhere because we'd just met the dog. it's still one of my favourite shows. i was just let down by this premiere. i think the ken/pete subplot'll be fruitful and i loved the way it was set up. is ep 2 better, mod?

©brad

Quote from: picolas on August 19, 2009, 03:20:36 PMit wasn't a bad episode, but i'd call it overconfident. sometimes i'm a little cautious about the weiner-written eps...

We're now 4 episodes in, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them, something about this season is irking me. Maybe it is an overconfidence issue, particularly on the writer's part (by the way, Weiner has written/co-written every episode so far. Talk about a control freak) but I think the show is getting too bogged down and self-aware of its own coolness, so much so that behind every "cool" line I feel as if Matt Weiner is winking at us. I know a big reason people love the show is the sexiness factor, but sometimes I think everything, from wardrobe to set design, looks almost too manicured, and certain scenes play out a little too rehearsed, often with dialogue that sounds wince-inducingly staged and ultimately corny. I kind of wish they would mess it up a little bit.

And speaking of staged, if the writers are hell-bent on investigating more of Don's past, they have to come up with better ways-in than him waking up in the middle of the night and starring endlessly at an old photo.

squints

Quote from: ©brad on September 08, 2009, 01:30:57 PM

And speaking of staged, if the writers are hell-bent on investigating more of Don's past, they have to come up with better ways-in than him waking up in the middle of the night and starring endlessly at an old photo.

No shit right? I thought the whole flashback at the beginning of Ep. 1 was kind of unnecessary too.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Why is no one commenting after last nights episode? Utter wildness.

Highlights of last night:
Joan's Scenes
Kinsey
and

The thrashing of the foot with the subsequent joke afterward.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection