Next Day Air

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, May 19, 2009, 06:26:32 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

(Poster clipping provided for convenience, but don't let it stop you from seeing this movie.)

It would've been easier to not even bother seeing this, but after reading the AV club review, it sounded like it was worth a shot.

I was very happy with this movie.  It was very solid, funny and never really over the top at all.  The ending isn't even strongly a morality tale, it's multi-faceted and unpredictable and yet doesn't give in to the conventions of a blind-siding twist. 

My brother wanted to read the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes before going (something I definitely avoid before seeing a movie, or really, just avoid entirely) and until more ratings may increase, or what's more likely decrease, Next Day Air is actually a really fun comedy and occasionally warm, only occasionally because the amount of characters and how short the film is.  Not to a fault, though.

I hate reducing movies to comparisons between two or more other movies before it, but honestly, this reminds me of Friday and Pineapple Express in terms of caring about the characters and it being something beyond the genre limitations of "stoner comedy."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

I REALLY CAN'T WAIT TO CHECK THIS OUT. Okay, I'll calm down.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

polkablues

If this movie is actually entertaining, then its marketing team should be prosecuted for fraud.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm not bullshitting you guys, I actually had a really good time at this movie.

Its marketing is terrible, the whole "Protect Your Package" shirt does kind of ruin it and in fact, the picture may even prevent you from seeing this.  Disregard it if it's that distracting.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

I saw the trailer and remembering thinking it looked a lot better than it needed to be.  seemed like there was a little bit of lebowski in there too.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SiliasRuby

ANYTHING with Wood Harris has got to be good.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection