The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

He may have been less involved than in some of the U.S. stuff where his designer does all of it but he definitely had to give his stamp of approval.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: ©brad on February 26, 2013, 09:25:14 AM
Are any truly great film artists marketing geniuses?

yes, kubrick was.

and for the first 25 years of his career he used his intelligence to secure his financial security through insightful manipulation of market trends. Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide shut were his only real missteps in this regard. the first one was unable to be corrected because, whereas his other films were either edited perfectly the first time or then trimmed and remarketed to highlight their sellable strengths ("the ultimate trip" was developed AFTER the films first release), lyndon's "problems" were inherent to the very nature of the film, that is its exploration of the "out of time" quality of a past outside of living memory meant that every scene felt like it literally took [place in] "forever". the thing went over everyone's head and there was no way to fix that.

we'll never know what he would've done to fix EWS' misunderstandings/misfires. but then that was always going to be an uphill battle, it's a dream film after all. and it was released in the modern era of limited theatrical runs. how this relates to PTA is that perhaps he can be cut a bit of slack, the pressure to do well in a theatrical release is somewhat greater now that films only get one shot at it.

i think PTA was spoiled by being given final cut after Boogie Nights. again evident in That Moment, "a scary thing to give to a guy like me". before that he was, at least for one film, trying to make something that was artistically magnificent, personally gratifying, and commercially accessible.
under the paving stones.

md

hey pubrick, kubricks dead.  he died a long time ago.  get over it.  You seem like you're in PTA withdrawal.  Relax, he's got his handful with kids and a feature he's prepping.  I'm sure he'lls rerelease a UK Bluray without the stars in a few years.  In the meantime laugh at this:

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

©brad

That's interesting about Kubrick, which is the obvious answer I didn't think about. Do you guys think the reason Paul's anxious to get Inherent Vice made so quickly is because The Master didn't do great at the box office and he's hungry for a hit?

Pubrick

Quote from: md on February 26, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
In the meantime laugh at this:

nah, looks fake.

kubrick would've made it work. Fellini once said that kubrick's special ability was being "capable of making me believe what i see, no matter how fantastic it is."

Quote from: ©brad on February 26, 2013, 10:05:35 AM
Do you guys think the reason Paul's anxious to get Inherent Vice made so quickly is because The Master didn't do great at the box office and he's hungry for a hit?

i think he's anxious to get it made while he's got a sugar mama willing to fund it. i don't think he's concerned with making money, as i've said already, and bless him he's that kind of artist. who knows how long he'll be able to keep this up. i'm not even the only one saying this btw, Robert Elswit's wife practically MOCKED him for his reputation of being a money pit.
under the paving stones.

modage

I think additionally he started adapting the book in 2009 so it's not like he's rushing the script. Whenever he put The Master down cause it looked like it was never gonna happen he was still working on Vice so when TM finally wrapped up and financing was already (mostly) in place, there was no reason to wait.

Though I'm still terrified that script/cast/financing will make him push it a year (which is what happened on TM and CMBB).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Also the material of the book doesn't really scream "hit".

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Cloudy

Most probably should send that to the Spoiler thread...

Either way it's fucking hilarious though LOL. It's just great seeing them doing what they do, PTA's muffled voice in the back. Fucking glorious. Well done.

I don't know about you guys, but the ad's on Pandora suck so fucking bad, but this time a Master ad came on about the Blu and I didn't want it to stop. God damn.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on February 26, 2013, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: md on February 26, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
In the meantime laugh at this:

nah, looks fake.

It is fake. It's the same guy that was in another video or two that was posted here before that people still seem to fall for. So sick of seeing this guy. Not funny.

HeywoodRFloyd

Guys go follow Mihai on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/misu_1975/

Regular updates and heaps of still photography

Kellen

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on March 24, 2013, 11:01:41 AM
Guys go follow Mihai on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/misu_1975/

Regular updates and heaps of still photography

awesome, thanks for the heads up.

P Heat

Just in case someone hasn't seen this. PLEASE DON'T HURT ME. jeez

Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Frederico Fellini

Lulz...   

Funny thing is even that seemingly "pointless/disgusting/gratuitous" shot of Phoenix masturbating on the beach is meaningful in the movie. Freddie has to jerk himself off while The Master has his wife doing it to him. LOL.   The Master is a Masterpiece.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Something Spanish