Life As A House

Started by Finn, January 03, 2004, 11:06:02 AM

Finn

Has anyone seen this movie? I liked it, although it's not even close to being as a good as American Beauty (which it rips off). Kevin Kline is so good and the rest of the cast is fine as well. I need to go pick up the DVD.

Nice poster...

http://www.impawards.com/2001/life_as_a_house_ver1.html
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

Raikus

I was surprised by it when I saw it. I really didn't like Christensen's performance--too whiney. Overall, however, I thought it was a good movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Ghostboy

For some reason, I liked it a lot. Probably because I'm a sucker.

Finn

Many people called it manipulative, which it probably is. But I didn't mind. I guess I liked the Kevin Kline character so much. And of course Jena Malone is wonderful as well.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

NEON MERCURY

this film is a well crafted cliched masterpiece.......

the good-kevin cline's performance
the bad-the cheesed out haydenn "typical marilyn mansonn" fann" stereotype
the ugly-the title of the film is a cheesy as this." :mrgreen: "

but back on the Kevin cline.....i cannt remember if it is  cline or kline....but i think  he is underrated................

pookiethecat

i hated jena malone in this movie.  she was unrealistically precocious.

i remember really liking kristen scott thomas's performance.  same with hayden christensen's.  though his transformation from goth to prep was a little obvious.
i wanna lick 'em.

SHAFTR

I was visiting my girlfriend's parents and this movie was suggested for viewing.  I cringed (as I normally do for her father's film picks).  Turns out that I really enjoyed the film.  It has been a long time so I cannot give it a very detailed review but I do remembe I liked it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie was a little overdramatic and dosen't even compare to American Beuaty, IMO.  I saw American Beauty after I had seen Life As A House, so it wasn't like I was comparing it throughout the film.

Life as a House wasn't bad, but I just didn't like it...Didn't have too much replay value to me, whereas American Beauty I could watch many many times.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pookiethecat

life as a house may be a bit clumsier in its techniques, but the emotions in the movie seemed much more honest than those in american beauty.
i wanna lick 'em.