Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Started by metroshane, September 12, 2003, 03:33:44 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinOverall, "Mexico" was alright, but the ending will blow you away!
haha catchphrase of the week.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: Ghostboy
I've been wondering if the prints have varied in quality around the country. But I've heard a lot of responses from people thinking it looked absolutely horrible, that the faces were too red

They all looked like they had fake & bake tans.
My theater must have been one of the ones with the shitty prints cause that's what the one I saw looked like.
It works for this kinda movie though.
I completely agree with Mcguffs (and everyone else on the band wagon I guess) about Depp being the best thing about the movie. what is it about the guy that just brings a smile to your face whenever he's on screen?
I don't think I've ever been so excited about an actor's success.
SPOILER
I think I was the only one in my theater who got the Brando impression.
I've been a Depp fan since 21 JS and to witness the path he chose is just completely fascinating to me.
I mean, even my Steven Seagal loving Dad has become a big fan wanting to watch all his other movies now that never appealed to him before. It's so funny, he called me the other night from the video store asking if he should rent The 9th Gate or Nick Of Time.
I said Nick Of Time cause hey, he's a Steven Seagal fan.
Gotta start a brotha off slow

Banky

Ravi

Quote from: Bankyit was all shot DV

HD, to be precise.

modage

yeah this movie was a mess.  i liked it, but it could have been so much better.  too choppy, too quickly done.  in a way you have to admire him for making movies in his own way.  but on the other hand, desperado is actually good.  so, i cant forgive him for this.  i felt the same way about this as i did watching spy kids 2.  the previous one was good?! what the hell happened.  its like the characters ceased to be themselves, the movies were rushed.  they didnt feel like they should be anywhere but straight to dvd.  REALLY GOOD straight to dvd!  but, hold that up to a desperado and it just doesnt really live up to a satisfying theatrical experience.  and johnny depp, weird as he was, seemed to be the center of the film.  which, was weird that banderas was more of a side character.  if its HIS trilogy, it shouldve been a little more time with him.  and if anyone can explain to me what the hell the movie was about, i still dont have a clue.  i felt like the best parts were the flashbacks.  maybe he should have told that story.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatball

everybody keeps praising depp for pirates, but i think he's getting too much praise for it.

i think he had his moments, but most of the time i felt it wasn't as spectacular, dazzling, and inspired as many people seem to think it was.

now.. to say.. watch a movie "for depp" is ridiculous. since when has everybody been brainwashed by this depp frenzy? is this the next fad, like pokemon?

:-D

Pozer

yeah, but c'mon meatball. If you had to, I mean HAD to fuck a guy, would it not be him?

edison

Quote from: meatballnow.. to say.. watch a movie "for depp" is ridiculous. since when has everybody been brainwashed by this depp frenzy? is this the next fad, like pokemon?

No, not just watch a movie for depp, we mean watch THIS movie for him.

markums2k

Quote from: meatballeverybody keeps praising depp for pirates, but i think he's getting too much praise for it.

i think he had his moments, but most of the time i felt it wasn't as spectacular, dazzling, and inspired as many people seem to think it was.

now.. to say.. watch a movie "for depp" is ridiculous. since when has everybody been brainwashed by this depp frenzy? is this the next fad, like pokemon?

How about this new fad of not paying attention to proper capitalization... a little too P, if you ask me.  :?

P.S. Depp movies: gotta catch 'em all.

pete

I dunno what rodriguez is trying to prove here by doing everything himself and shooting it on HD, it's not like the studio won't give him that money for an editor or a scorer, it's not like things are better now because he did everything himself, and it's not like HD really saves you that much--blowing up to 35mm ends up costing a bunch doesn't it?
the digital projection I saw was crap, you could see the pixels.
the action scenes were pretty cool but the story was kinda pointless, I can accept pointless action scenes and pointless fun, but pointless plot?  rodriguez still has to much to prove it feels, people don't call him poorman's QT anymore, so why is he sweating?
man I wish he got himself a better DP and better composer.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatball

Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: meatballeverybody keeps praising depp for pirates, but i think he's getting too much praise for it.

How about this new fad of not paying attention to proper capitalization... a little too P, if you ask me.  :?

P.S. Depp movies: gotta catch 'em all.

my favorite part is the p.s.

so cute!  :P

metroshane

Did anyone else think the clip of Salma and Antonio (chained together) running down the hallway looked right out of a home camcorder?  Or perhaps extra footage from mariachi?

It was terrible.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

RegularKarate

Quote from: metroshaneDid anyone else think the clip of Salma and Antonio (chained together) running down the hallway looked right out of a home camcorder?  Or perhaps extra footage from mariachi?

Neither were in El Mariachi

metroshane

QuoteNeither were in El Mariachi

REally? :roll:   I was referring to the production value...not the characters silly.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

cine

Just saw this tonight. Dialogue was very funny when it was intended "See you later" "Fuck you." Depp was the best part.. at this rate, he's worth the price of admission just like Christopher Walken. Action was fuckin' delicious. Story I didn't care for whatsoever. When Fideo said "They're fighting for YOU, Mr. President. Understand?" I was thinking, "Fuck, I guess." I don't know if it was some slight influence/reference but I thought of Gloucester from King Lear with the Depp stuff. Anyone else? Doubt RR had that one in mind but I was reminded of that. Good Flick.