Wonderland

Started by Duck Sauce, May 08, 2003, 01:25:53 AM

Duck Sauce

From Michael Winterbottom, who directed 24 Hour Party People. I really loved this movie, it was gorgeously put together and makes me want to go check out London. Anyways, just thought Id make a thread, so people can discuss.

godardian

I totally agree... right up there in British cinema tradition with Billy Liar or Mike Leigh's films. Is "kitchen sink" too easy a label? Is it verboten? That's what I would (admiringly) call Wonderland. Tough 'n tender, like all the good kitchen sink stuff. A triptych: Billy Liar (or Saturday Night and Sunday Morning), Naked (or Secrets and Lies), and Wonderland.

Didn't like 24 Hour Party People nearly as much, but maybe that's 'cos my levels of appreciation for New Order/Joy Division and the Happy Mondays are exactly the inverse of what's given them in the film. I hated that Shaun Ryder was depicted as the star. I had too much personally invested, I think. It wasn't badly made or acted. I just didn't care for it. Loved the Smiths joke, though. [/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Quote from: In the BAD Wonderland thread, godardianGod freakin' dammit, every time someone posts to this thread and it comes up, I think it's going to be:

...I can't imagine an apparently third-rate Boogie Nights ripoff starring Val Kilmer is more interesting than a great, charming little kitchen-sinker from Michael Winterbottom??
Haha, this just made me chuckle.  So I thought I'd bump this thread and ask that, maybe, sorta, kinda, someone could edit each of the threads to differentiate between the two titles.  It's almost as unfortunate as the Spellbound mishap.

godardian

Have you seen the 'good' Wonderland, ono?

Shoot, when I brought up Michael Nyman I failed to mention that it was Winterbottom's Wonderland that he scored... oh well, I guess that should probably go without saying.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

ono

Quote from: godardianHave you seen the 'good' Wonderland, ono?
No, but as soon as I heard you mention it, I added it to my Netflix queue.  I have 500 movies in there, I kid you not.  :(  I'll probably bump it up closer to the top so it won't take me two years to get to it.  I think I can push Spielberg's stuff to the bottom or something.  :-D

y'all remember a movie called "Next Stop: Wonderland" ??
context, context, context.

ono

What about it?

I haven't seen it, but if it has Philip Seymour Hoffman in it, it must at least be watchable.

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaWhat about it?

I haven't seen it, but if it has Philip Seymour Hoffman in it, it must at least be watchable.

That was Hoffman's first mild-mannered gay-guy role, before Boogie Nights. It's decent. It has Hope Davis as the main character. Not great, but a nice little romantic comedy that doesn't really suffocate in its own cutesy gauze until the very end.

Pubrick

Quote from: chuckhimselfoy'all remember a movie called "Next Stop: Wonderland" ??
yeah,. i hated the contrived story of these 2 ppl hooking up. and the "look", that look is more suited to forgettable black romantic comedies. hope davis was good tho.
under the paving stones.