need alittle help Lighting tips

Started by Dtm115300, October 17, 2004, 10:16:01 PM

Dtm115300

Im shooting a short which has to do with a ghost. Im trying to create a really dark atmospher. but i need enough light to see my actor.

I need to put together a cheap lighting kit. I do't have a very good buget on this. I can spend up to $100. can and where do i go to put gether a lighting kit that will do what i need it to.

metroshane

What are you shooting on?  video, film (what speed)?

$5  clamplights from wal-mart go a long way on video.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Dtm115300

im new to filmmaking teach me what you mean by speed.

matt35mm

Um, so you're probably not shooting on film.

Either way, the "speed" is a number that, basically, corresponds to how sensitive the film is to light.  Higher numbers capture the image faster, so they take less time/light to expose each frame.  Lower numbers need more time/light to expose each frame.  So you could shoot on high speed film with low light, or low speed film with a lot of light, and theoretically you'd get the same amount of exposure.  However, the quality and texture of the image is different between the two.  So you pick a speed of film based on how you want the movie to look.

That's the very basic gist.  If you want to know more (and if you're even a little serious about filmmaking), try to find info on the internet or get a book on the subject.

Dtm115300

o alright. Thanks for the info. Yeah im shooting on video. Im gonna go for thous lights thou thanks