Moonlight

Started by Punch, August 11, 2016, 10:47:45 AM

Punch

From writer/director Barry Jenkins and starring Trevante Rhodes, Naomie Harris, Andre Holland, and Mahershala Ali.
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

max from fearless

Medicine for Melancholy was sweet. Can't wait for this one!!! Andre Holland straight killin' shit!

pete

knew Barry from way back in the days in SF. this was truly a remarkable film. it just felt like a movie - not a genre movie, not a tentpole, not an event - it seems mainly interested in making sure every minute of it was worth your time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Something Spanish

This movie deserves all the praise it has received, it's beautiful and unique. Somewhat similar to Boyhood, but in the hood.

Drenk

I loved it. It has a unique and refreshing voice. Barry Jenkins was there at the end of the screening, and he also seems like a great guy; I'll be there for whatever he does next.
Ascension.

Lottery

Man, the performances in this by all the Chiron actors, Mahershala Ali and Andre Holland were superb.

Last 20 or so minutes of this film were exceptional.

James Laxton definitely earned his Oscar nomination. Him and the colourist Alex Bickel captured skin tones in a way I've never seen done before.

pete

and those car shots - they make every other car shot look over-lit and fake.
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

honestly i thought La La Land was going to fuck shit up because it's Hollywood fodder. so Oscar news this year became less boring to me since the best movie won. this was the best of the best picture nominations in terms of cinema as a connective force between the screen and audience. for sure. by a mile. i'm not even sure that's why it won, but it was a blessing in the right kind of way. good job you Oscar fucks.

pete

I'm glad it won and I'm glad it won in this fashion. I liked la la land but I really can't stand the smugness and importance its makers keep overstating, how they keep claiming that they were bold and taking chances. Kinda satisfying to see that smugness getting taken down a peg in real time.
- Buster Keaton