The Kinks

Started by godardian, October 23, 2003, 11:20:51 AM

godardian

I see new items started for The Beatles and The Who (what, no Stones?), so I thought I'd start one for the band of the same milieu that I think were at the very least equally important, if not more so, than those other, more popular bands.

These three albums alone:

...come to my mind as "classics" of the era before anything by those other groups.

My favorite Kinks songs are: "Two Sisters," "Shangri-La," "Lola," "People Take Pictures of Each Other," and so many more.

Anyone else here find the Kinks sorely in need of the sort of appreciation that's always carelessly lavished upon Beatles/Stones/Who?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Nothing In This World....   from Rushmore, is a class song!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Oh I love the Kinks. Is it fair to say they're underrated as a band or that Stones/Beatles/Who are just overrated?

I was going to start this thread along with one dedicated to Cream (I thought there already was a Stones thread, but I guess not).. It's their most popular but nonetheless, Lola is my favourite.

A Matter Of Chance

L-o-l-a Lola is definetly their best.

And they really deserve more apprechiation

anakin_e

"Victoria" from Arthur is such a sweet song. I crank it every May 24.
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

godardian

Quote from: anakin_e"Victoria" from Arthur is such a sweet song. I crank it every May 24.

I'm pretty sure the song isn't quite meant to be a celebration... but maybe you don't quite mean to celebrate...  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Ghostboy

Just have to chime in and say that Lola's my favorite, too.

Didn't Third Eye Blind play them in some show recently? I heard they did a pretty crappy job.

Sigur Rós

I like The Kinks better then both Who and Stones, hell I even like them more then Beatles.

godardian

Quote from: Jesus Christ Bobby!I like The Kinks better then both Who and Stones, hell I even like them more then Beatles.
:yabbse-thumbup:

Mesh

Quote from: godardian[3 great Kinks albums] to my mind as "classics" of the era before anything by those other groups.

Anyone else here find the Kinks sorely in need of the sort of appreciation that's always carelessly lavished upon Beatles/Stones/Who?

The Kinks were an incredibly good pop rock band, but I don't think any one album of theirs was as good as, say, Help! or Rubber Soul....and I think there are a handful of Beatles albums better than even those!

Then again, I'm not a Kinks expert.  I know Something Else and TKATVGPS pretty well, but beyond that, my appreciation is spotty.  To my mind, they're far better than the American critical and popular opinion would indicate and they're influential as hell, but nowhere near Beatle calibre.

Also:

Quote from: GhostboyDidn't Third Eye Blind play them in some show recently? I heard they did a pretty crappy job.

Shocking!

anakin_e

anakin_e wrote:
"Victoria" from Arthur is such a sweet song. I crank it every May 24.

godardian wrote:
I'm pretty sure the song isn't quite meant to be a celebration... but maybe you don't quite mean to celebrate...

(sorry i'm no good at the HTML, and couldn't get the fancy boxes to work)

I don't know, i think the song was a bit of nostalgia for old grand Brittania (vs. the slums of the 1960s working class in britain), and May 24 strikes me as a day of nostalgia for being a part of the grand old empire, that's just my take on it, great tune regardless.

Back to the topic at hand, can anybody recommend a good compilation album, even though i know compilations are a bit sacreligous, i'm not a big enough kinks fan to go out and buy a few albums.  Amazon's got a "Ultimate Collection" double cd, and it's got most of my favs, but it is suspiciously missing "Louie, Louie", am i missing something? am i mistaken that the kinks are the ones behind this tune? does is go under a different title? basically i'm looking for an album with:
Victoria
All Day and All of the Night
Louie Louie
You Really Got Me
I Need You
on it, as they're my favs (never really a Lola fan), and i'm looking to get into more kinks stuff. I'm a huge Who fan 'cause of a compilation i got a few years back, and i'm hoping the same kinda thing will come from listening to more Kinks stuff.

Cheers
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

godardian

"Louie, Louie" was The Kingsmen, from my hometown of Portland, OR.

I have a 2-disc CD, Kinks Kronikles, that's a decent best-of. That may be identical to the 2-disc comp you're talking about.

anakin_e

Thanks a bunch godardian.
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

godardian

From the AP:

Jan. 5, 2004  |  NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Singer-songwriter Ray Davies of the Kinks was shot in the leg while chasing thieves who snatched a purse from a woman he was with, police said Monday. He was not seriously injured.

Police said Davies, 59, and the woman were walking along the Quarter's Burgundy Street around 8:30 p.m. Sunday when the theft and shooting happened.

Davies was treated and released at a hospital, Capt. Marlon Defillo, a police spokesman, said. One suspect was captured within hours of the shooting and another was being sought.

The Kinks, part of the 1960s British invasion, had a string of hits including "You Really Got Me," "Sunny Afternoon," "All Day and All of the Night" and "Lola." Davies founded the band, known for its hard-edged, guitar-driven sound and witty lyrics, with his brother Dave.

MacGuffin

Kinks' Ray Davies honored by queen

LONDON -- Singer-songwriter Ray Davies of The Kinks, shot in the leg by a mugger two months ago, said he hopes to be "jumping around on stage" soon. Davies, 59, leaned on a walking stick Wednesday as he appeared at Buckingham Palace to accept an honor from Queen Elizabeth II. "I will get better and I'll be back jumping around on stage," said Davies. But, he added, "There is a lot of doubt whether I can perform in the near future." (AP)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks