The Green Fog

Started by jenkins, March 27, 2018, 02:46:46 PM

jenkins

Directors: Guy Maddin, Evan Johnson, Galen Johnson
Editors: Evan Johnson, Galen Johnson

In Los Angeles at the Downtown Independent via Acropolis starting today, 3/27, then playing at Arena Cinelounge for a week

Quote"The Green Fog" compiles bits from about 100 San Fran-set movies and TV shows into a quasi-narrative pastiche that ostensibly pays tribute to Hitchcock's "Vertigo.[...]
While there's only one fleeting, incidental actual shot from "Vertigo" here, "The Green Fog" is suffused with a very Hitchcockian sense of intrigue, romance and suspense — even if the overall effect of this mashup is inevitably somewhat genre-parodic. Divided into nominal chapters, the movie is more thematic than linear, as we move from clips personifying preliminary action (which underline how many rooftop foot chases have been shot in San Francisco) to scenes that emphasize familial torment among the rich (notably involving Lana Turner, Anthony Quinn and Sandra Dee in 1960 Ross Hunter joint "Portrait in Black"), and so forth. It all inevitably leads to a pileup of truly vertiginous and earth-shaking climaxes, including, of course, the re-creation of 1906's big rumble in "San Francisco" (1936). [Variety]

QuoteThe effect is a bit like watching "Vertigo" recomposed with ransom-note letters, set to a score (composed by Jacob Garchik and performed by the Kronos Quartet) that builds to its own Bernard Herrmann-esque swells of anxiety. If Hitchcock's movie was a romantic tragedy about the impossibility of reconstructing the object of one's desire, then "The Green Fog" is, fittingly, an imperfect double of sorts. [LA Times]

Just Withnail

This was a lot of fun. There are some tremendous sequences where all the dialogue has been removed from very dialog-heavy scenes, leaving only fumbled attempts at starting a conversation, puzzled looks, epiphanies out of nowhere, and, surprisingly, tons of sexual tension where there probably wasn't any before.

jenkins

So. Guy Maddin's The Green Fog is free to stream on Vimeo. The password is: KimNovak

https://vimeo.com/356966508

I'm not publicly sharing private information, it's on the letterboxd virtual cinema list

jenkins

building myself up for the horse-world movie executive produced by Shane Carruth, one thing that's stuck in my mind was when he said "What I'm trying to ask you is,  do you see the difference? Do you see the difference between 'Solo,' a fucking 'Star Wars'-half-between-film, and 'Phantom Thread'?" you're not the appropriate crowd to ponder his question but i like what his thoughts are up to. and that dovetails into mentioning i like the rhythms of The Green Fog. it doesn't, you know, it doesn't posses a narrative, but that exact circumstance enables it to posses rhythms beyond the ordinary. and that engages a different side of me while i watch it, which is cool. part of me wants to turn away and find safety in what's familiar, but i'm just joking when i say that. apparently they have this other thing that's a one-shotter facing an apartment building and that sounds neat too

also what's happening is a free screening of

QuoteTake a chance with Seances—an experimental, online-only cinematic experience that's custom-assembled for each viewing. The project was developed by a team featuring past Artist Residency Award recipient Guy Maddin and made with support from the center's own Film/Video Studio.

this is from 2016. here is a trailer. here is the page to register for a screening.