PDL DVD cover

Started by Dendy, April 03, 2003, 12:48:58 AM

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: snaporaz
Quote from: CinephileI dunno about you guys, but I think if PTA read some of this shit he'd probably either laugh his ass off or cringe at how negative some of you are being. Bottom line: If you like the movie, you should like the cover. If you don't like the cover then think of why he might've chosen that one over all the other ones. Maybe you'll gain a newfound respect for it, who knows. PTA does what he does for his own artistic reasons. Bashing his cover is like bashing his overall vision of the picture. Period.

christ. alot of you guys are complete tools. like, if we think the film is brilliant, we have to like anything and everything extended off of it? i too find the dvd cover boring. sure, it sets the tone of the akwardness of the picture, but equally, blake's artwork would graphically present the overwhelming sensations attributed to love.

isn't there something anderson said about this dvd being the definitive, one and only punch-drunk love dvd to buy? that's how i feel about movie posters. personally, i hate seeing several different movie "logos" [posters, video cover art, even soundtrack cover art]. as with the video content themselves, i think a movie's artwork should be a one and only absolute, final work. that being said, that's not really my reason for not liking the dvd artwork. i just simply don't like it. and to those who think that i must accept it and love it and embrace it just because i feel the same way for the movie...eh, what the fuck do i care? i just think certain people around here need to loosen up on the fan-boy schtick and let others have opposing opinions without claiming shit like "the movie's so great, you have no right to criticize things like the artwork or dvd content", et cetera.

Damn, well said.  I too think the cover is boring, and Blake's artwork should be used on the cover instead.  The movie is fucking fantastic, and let's not forget what the movie is truly about: Love.......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Cecil

Quote from: snaporazthat's how i feel about movie posters. personally, i hate seeing several different movie "logos" [posters, video cover art, even soundtrack cover art]. as with the video content themselves, i think a movie's artwork should be a one and only absolute, final work.

i agree with you (though once in a while a good alternate cover could be interesting, but theyre usually worse than the poster). kubrick had the right idea.

generally i only like different cover art when there is a reason for it. ie, natural born killers: different cover for the director's cut and the regular censored crap. and even the diff cover of the soundtrack is cool cause it isnt an "ordinary" soundtrack, it was produced (and manipulated) by trent reznor.

Sally O'Malley

from tip to ass...such unenlightened peops, disappointing.

Quote from: moonshinerexcept for the fact that it accentuates *adam sandler's role in the film i fucking love the cover, Paul Thomas Anderson (won't refer to him as PTA) wanted the DVD set to be a little bit odd, correllating well with the type of movie it is....front cover is odd, bland, shows the point of the picture, the oddity in the character of the film, the back is beautiful deep reds, a symbol of the beauty that lies in the end of the film.

*i love older sandler movies, always did, but it seemed like he brushed off the credit he was getting for doing such a great job in this movie...seemed much more interested in getting back to one of "his" projects with all his buddies, so be it, but i don't get the impression that he cares about being taken seriously as an actor...i guess that's wherein the loveable nature of sandler lies, his aloof anti-celebrity attitude....now i'm confusing myself  :?
Quote from: CinephileI dunno about you guys, but I think if PTA read some of this shit he'd probably either laugh his ass off or cringe at how negative some of you are being. Bottom line: If you like the movie, you should like the cover. If you don't like the cover then think of why he might've chosen that one over all the other ones. Maybe you'll gain a newfound respect for it, who knows. PTA does what he does for his own artistic reasons. Bashing his cover is like bashing his overall vision of the picture. Period.
........................................................i think a concurrence is in order. *concurs*
..the 'highlander' was a documentary and the events happend in real time.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

Looks pretty nicely laid out and put together, while somehow still managing to have a little something for everyone.

I like the idea of the stark, simple cover giving way to the bursts of color inside... really fits with the visual scheme of the film, to my mind.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Link

I really dig everything A LOT (except of course the cover)

RegularKarate

Korean subtitles on disk two?

Somethin' up with that...

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SHAFTR

http://dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_6/punchdrunklove.html

Review of PDL dvd.  The reviewer doesn't seem to be much of a fan of the movie, but he still respects it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"