The Great Gatsby (2013)

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2012, 08:12:08 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on July 01, 2013, 01:19:47 AM
Also, Polk, it's edge-er-ton, if you actually heard someone say it differently please laugh in their face. I didn't realise it was possible to mispronounce that, I mean you'd have to be speaking like a weirdo on purpose at that point.

I assumed it was probably that way, but I've never heard the man's name spoken out loud, and I've seen it misspelled as "Edgarton" more than once, which threw me off.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Quote from: Pubrick on July 01, 2013, 01:19:47 AM
And it's cool that we're still impressed by the use of cgi, but compare that to something like Life of Pi or any big action movie, hell even any Fincher movie lately, and you'll see it's pretty standard.
They do the same shit on "Boardwalk Empire."

I'm still impressed though. Whenever I don't know I'm watching CGI, the FX people win.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Neil

I finally got around to see this and, boy oh boy, what a mess. Poor Baz (Maybe he is done for). I enjoyed the viewing experience, but that's probably just because i enjoy this great literary soap opera.  I personally went 50/50 with the score.  When the audience sees NY an the beginning and, "no church in the wild" plays, I wanted to shut it down. After the first party where they're just playing techno music and dancing the charleston, i wanted to shut it down again.  Some of the other choices were used a little better than that. 

I just don't understand why they would choose this kind of music, when such a work was clearly influenced by the music that was happening at the time.  Whatever, it's pretty much the same reason Korine casts Selena Gomez in his film, so like i said whatever.

Moving on.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Alexandro

This was way worst than I thought it could possibly be. I even want to rewatch Moulin Rouge now because I remember liking it but maybe that one sucks too and I just don't remember. Usually when you see a film based on a great book, even if the film is not too good it makes you wonder about reading the original material. Not here. This ons is so bad it manages to kill any interest I ever had in reading The Great fucking Gatsby. The last couple of lines kind of redeem that and I thought, "well, yeah I should maybe read the book". But the rest of the movie is amazingly messy and unsure of itself.

The score is the biggest mistake of course. What's the idea behind this? (I know is selling records but besides that). To make a translation for audiences of how hip this Gatsby and his parties were? And he plays music by Jay-Z? Wouldn't a rich new yorker on the top of the cool mountain would be partying to something more avantguarde??? Yeah, a bunch of old dudes trying to communicate with the kids who listen to Beyonce.

Maguire is terrible in this. He plays the cliched asexual narrator, who is neither malicious, nor funny, nor interesting. Everyone feels colorless, drowning in flashes and tricks and absurd camera movements, and overly dramatic touches. My God...