PTA in BlackBook

Started by cowboykurtis, December 09, 2003, 12:34:02 PM

SoNowThen

Cool interview. Thanks, Ono.

All filmmakers say they hate their movies. You know they hate them because they see all they could have done but didn't, but you know they love them because they birthed them.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

that was a great interview.....lars is a funny guy

Vile5

GREAT INTERVIEW!! thanks Ono, it made me remind the interview Truffaut made to Hitchcock long ago, thanks again Ono! you made my Christmas time  :-D
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Slick Shoes

Somebody should post the pictures that went with the article, as it is very cool seeing both guys in the same room. I'd do it, but I don't have the magazine -- just browsed through it at a newstand.

ono

Quote from: Slick ShoesSomebody should post the pictures that went with the article, as it is very cool seeing both guys in the same room. I'd do it, but I don't have the magazine -- just browsed through it at a newstand.
Those were my thoughts exactly.  I have access to a scanner, so tomorrow, if no one else has done it yet, I'll try to scan the articles in.  Hehe, I probably should've attempted that before transcribing the bloody thing.

brockly

Ernie

GREAT interview! Thanks very very much Onomono!

Wanna know what sucks though? I have never seen a Lars Von Trier film, I feel so left out right now.

kotte

Alethia

kotte

Quote from: ebeamanGREAT interview! Thanks very very much Onomono!

Wanna know what sucks though? I have never seen a Lars Von Trier film, I feel so left out right now.

I guess you're on your way to the video store right now then?

ono

Quote from: ebeamanGREAT interview! Thanks very very much Onomono!

Go see Dancer in the Dark.  Right now.  It's one of the most beautiful films ever made.  It's very depressing, though, so just be warned.  And check out Breaking the Waves, too, though it is a lesser work than Dancer, IMO.  That's not an insult to that film, though.  Dancer is just so good, that it dwarfs most other films.

Pubrick

Breaking the Waves is a lesser work to only about 3 films in the history of cinema.
under the paving stones.

ono

And those films would be (just out of morbid curiosity)?

Pubrick

1. Zentropa
2. Dancer in the Dark
3. The Idiots

anyway, the point is ebeaman should watch Breaking the Waves first, as Dancer can be a difficult film for an LVT virgin.
under the paving stones.