Putting together a lighting kit as cheap as possable?

Started by Dtm115300, December 12, 2004, 11:04:19 PM

Dtm115300

ono

How about telling us if you're shooting film or video first, and what your budget is, and all that kind of stuff?  You can get a light kit for $300-$400, I think, online.  If that's too much, I've heard certain kinds of bulbs at Home Depot type stores will work in a pinch.  You do know how to light, right?  Might seem like a silly question, but there's a bit more to it than just pointing lights at your source if you're shooting film.

cine

Dtm115300

well i know how to light a set. I've worked as PA on a few films were all i did was set up lights. I just want to put something together fast for my short. Im shooting on video. Looking to go a cheap as possable i have about $100 i can spend on lighting. Its an 8min short so i don't want to spend to much.

jasper_window

Quote from: Dtm115300well i know how to light a set. I've worked as PA on a few films were all i did was set up lights. I just want to put something together fast for my short. Im shooting on video. Looking to go a cheap as possable i have about $100 i can spend on lighting. Its an 8min short so i don't want to spend to much.

You can rent an Arri Light Kit with 4 diferent lights of your choosing for about $150.  Rent friday, pay for one day and return monday.  or you can be really creative with practical lights and spend a lot less.  what camera are you shooting with because the panasonic dvx 100a handles natural light very well?

Dtm115300

im useing a real shit camrea i got like 2 years ago. Its a JVC GR-100 mini dv camrea i think. It sucks with lighting. Everything  i film is so dark. I don't really have alot of money left on this short so i was looking to se if there was something i could build. Like stuff from home depo of something just to get this last shoot.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cinephiléa flaming dictionary.
My dictionary smells like burning.

mutinyco

Use practicals, then a Chinese lantern on a dimmer for fill.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Dtm115300

thanks guys. I went out and got a cheap worklight at home depo for about $40. Its working pretty well. But now im having some trouble with the scene its self. There is a cat in the scene, and he is not really doing what i need him to do. Tonight was suppost to be a rap, but i guess i will have to go another night. Once i finish editing it i am going to post a link to it. Wanted to know what you guys think.

ono

Haha, never work with animals.  (Or children, or inanimate objects that aren't controlled.)  Sucker!

cine