Whats New with this dude? (Richard Kelly)

Started by danniedorko, January 08, 2003, 02:04:29 PM

MacGuffin

Richard Kelly's Next: The man who brought us the odd but surprisingly edgy "Donnie Darko" is coming back to theatres soon with a vengeance. In an interview with About.Com (go here) this week, he went into extensive detail as to where his various upcoming projects stand right now - at present the guy has not one or two but NINE potential work avenues:

*Cats Cradle: Just to clarify, the project right now is sort of in limbo. I was hired by Appian Way...Hilly Elkins has control of the novel and they came to me and asked me to adapt it. I accepted their offer and I locked myself in a hotel room by the beach for about eight days and cranked out an adaptation of the novel. But it’s yet to be determined who is going to direct it, if it’s going to be Darren [Aronofsky]. I don’t know if it’s going to be Darren or not. I think that they’re still figuring out exactly what they want to do with the project. It’s very much up in the air and in flux right now, so stayed tuned on that one (laughing). I’ve taken significant liberties with the novel. I think I’ve done a very faithful interpretation. I tried to capture the essence of the novel. It’s a fairly radical adaptation ...probably more ‘inspired by’ the novel. I’ve tried to take some of his [Kurt Vonnegut] visionary ideas and bring them to a modern audience, and make them accessible to a modern audience. My hope is that, if this film is made, that a whole new generation will discover his genius.

*Knowing: "It’s been delayed four or five times due to budget, distribution, foreign distribution issues, casting issues… It’s seriously harder to get “Knowing” off the ground than it was to get “Donnie Darko” off the ground (laughing). We’re definitely hoping to start shooting the first quarter of 2004. There’s some legal entanglements involving the ownership of the screenplay and foreign distribution that have contributed significantly to the delay. It’s frustrating and I wish I could have already been in production by now, but I just want to get it right. You don’t want to rush into a situation where we can’t get enough money or we can’t get the right cast. I’m just holding out 'til we get it right.

*House at the End of the Street: That’s a project that Jonathan Mostow approached me about, and he’d murder me if I said anything about the plot. We’re still putting the finishing touches on it and going back and forth with the script. But I’m really excited about what’s going to become of that film, too.

Kelly is also working on a director's cut of "Donnie Darko", an adaptation of Richard Mathieson's "The Box" alongside Eli Roth ("Cabin Fever"), directing a project entitled "Southland Tales", developing a Kate Hudson-led actioneer entitled "Into the Great Wide Open", penning a bounty hunter biopic script entitled "Domino" for Tony Scott, and developing his Pulp Fiction-esque dream project called "Bessie". Whew, a busy bee indeed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quentin Tarantino and PT could take a few notes from this guy.  its called GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASSES and make movies while your still a genius!  fuck.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

DONNIE DARKO special edition coming to theaters

If you never got a chance to see Richard Kelly's weirdly wonderful dark fantasy DONNIE DARKO in theaters—or even if you did—the writer/director has good news. He just gave Fango the scoop that original distributor Newmarket will bring the movie back to the big screen in a special-edition reissue this spring or summer.

"This will be closer to the version that played Sundance in 2001," Kelly tells Fango. "It will contain a lot of deleted scenes that were included on the DVD, and stuff that people have never seen before. We're adding pop songs that we weren't able to use the first time, and new visual effects we couldn't afford the first time around. This edition will also have more answers to the questions the film raises," he promises.

In the meantime, Kelly is gearing up to direct the Fox Searchlight chiller KNOWING and wrapping up THE HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET, a horror script he's writing for Jonathan (T3) Mostow to direct. "I'm putting the last revisions on the final draft," he reports. "I'm meeting at Universal this week about it."

cowboykurtis

i was with richard a few days ago -- hes in pre-pro for knowing -- the studio has delayed shooting -- scheduled for early next year. sounds like an interesting idea.
...your excuses are your own...

Banky

Quote from: cowboykurtisi was with richard a few days ago -- hes in pre-pro for knowing -- the studio has delayed shooting -- scheduled for early next year. sounds like an interesting idea.

haha i love when people make statments like this its like

cowboykurtis

im serious -- im not going to claim that im "friends" with him -- i see him from time to time, hes been banging my ex - girlfriend -- more of a social aquiantence.

Banky

cowboykurtis

SoNowThen

I have great hopes for this guy. I hope he gets to direct Cat's Cradle, one of my fav books.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Listen I was with Vonnegut the other day and he said I had a really nice dress so I don't know if Cat's Cradle is going to happen
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: SlobhListen I was with Vonnegut the other day and he said I had a really nice dress so I don't know if Cat's Cradle is going to happen

Going in the sig...

Quote from: Banky
"This will be closer to the version that played Sundance in 2001," Kelly tells Fango. "It will contain a lot of deleted scenes that were included on the DVD, and stuff that people have never seen before. We're adding pop songs that we weren't able to use the first time, and new visual effects we couldn't afford the first time around. This edition will also have more answers to the questions the film raises," he promises.

Oh god. George Lucas Jr. This guy's just fucked his own movie.
WWPTAD?

coopxr

i just hope Knowing will not be Donnie Darko part 2

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenOh god. George Lucas Jr. This guy's just fucked his own movie.

This is what I thought..... I mean..... Donnie Darko is such an amazing movie as it is. Why fuck it up? (Changes, even if for the better, usually feel strange... it's NOT the same movie...  :( )
Si

Just Withnail

Well, if you don't like the special edition, you can always watch your the "original" on DVD, right? I don't see a problem, other than Kelly focusing on this rather than a new movie, which it sure doesn't look like he is. Personally I'm looking forward to it.

Sleuth

What's with this new dude?  (Richard Kelly)
I like to hug dogs