Whats New with this dude? (Richard Kelly)

Started by danniedorko, January 08, 2003, 02:04:29 PM

Cecil

Xixax

Poor Taz. Always having to defend his point of view.

Because once again, he is wrong.

:twisted:
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

Source: Creature Corner

Early Monday morning AICN's surly contributor named Quint reported a team-up many in the horror genre are already buzzing with excitement about.

Eli Roth ("Cabin Fever") and Richard Kelly ("Donnie Darko") are collaborating on a script adapted from a work by Richard Matheson.

For those of you who haven't seen Roth's film, believe us, there's no reason to put on some sort of faux excitement. This is a good thing. Roth and Kelly are more than capable to bring us the wet, gory mayhem.

We found out a bit more about this project from Corner friend Eli Roth himself. Here's some info we gathered from this up-and-coming horror talent:

The duo are currently drafting a script entitled "The Box." I'm not all that familiar with Matheson so if this title rings a bell, please let me know. Roth is going to helm the project with hopes to make it as eerie as "Polanski and Nakata." Strapped with full creative control and funded independently, the two hope to deliver something incredibly fucked up and violent...as long as it can garner an R-rating.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Polanski and Nakata...what tatanlizing comparisons. Can't wait.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffinFor those of you who haven't seen Roth's film, believe us, there's no reason to put on some sort of faux excitement. This is a good thing. Roth and Kelly are more than capable to bring us the wet, gory mayhem.

Im not looking forward to this, something about hearing abour a gory horror movie doesnt appeal to me, I dont really like that genre and wish Kelly would do some of the other 100 projects he has been reported to be connected to.

ChrisBrasco

Quote from: bonanzatazXixax, I do like the movie, but I feel like after the first three viewings it loses something. First I'm watching it for the first time and I'm paying attention to the story, then I watch it again looking for what it all means, third time I'm focusing on the aesthetics. When I watched it again, it all seemed kind of like it was trying to do something special. The more and more I watch it it feels like he was trying to do something so special and cool, like he wanted people to ponder it over for weeks and say, that Kelly dude is a genius! But little things (like the Smurfette dialogue) seem out of place in the movie. Like it's TRYING to be clever. It's not a BAD film, by any means. I just feel that it doesn't connect with me. I'm the same age as these characters, and while I can relate to SOME of the things in the movie, I just feel like nobody I know talks like this. Nobody I know meets some chick and then decides to "go steady" with her after talking to her for 5 minutes, and I doubt that after those 5 minutes I would reveal my mental problems to this same girl. Also, I've been seeing a lot of Jake Gyllenhall movies lately and he's starting to get on my nerves. Sorry for anybody that LOVES this film - I used to REALLY love this film until I watched it and got to thinking. Now I only like it because the more I watch, the more the flaws are noticable.

It seems that "genius" is a word that you used... why would you make a point to say that somebody is not a "genius"?

modage

Donnie Darko Director's Cut Rerelease, Book, Frank the Bunny doll
Source: AICN

Donnie Darko book, figurine, special edition re-release announced at San Diego screening.  

Richard Kelly, writer-director of Donnie Darko, attended a special screening in San Diego where he announced an upcoming book and Todd McFarlane figurine based on the 2001 cult classic, as well as a potential theatrical re-release in March of 2004.  

The Q&A session, following a 4:00 showing on Sunday the 19th at Madstone Theaters onFrazee Road, was arranged by the San Diego Film Critics Society, who awarded Kelly Best Screenplay in 2002 while he was in Europe. The casual crowd filled three-fourths of the theater, an excellent turnout for an otherwise poorly advertised event. As much as 1/4 of the audience had never seen the film.  

Immediately following the credits, Kelly, in jeans and grey T-shirt, made his way to the stool in front - he had intended to present the film, but his car had broken down and he had to borrow another. Following a brief introduction he immediately began taking audience questions.  

* When asked how he marketed the unusual script, Kelly thanked his producing partner Scott McKittrick, who had shopped it to an assistant at a major agency, which led to him being signed with Creative Artists (CAA). Initially only the screenwriter, Kelly got his chance to direct when Jason Schwartzman of Rushmore fame showed interest and became attached to the project. He passed it to Drew Barrymore, who approached Kelly's agent at ShoWest and met with him on the set of Charlie's Angels. He offered her a part; she offered to produce.  

* Kelly compared Darko's cul-de-sac ending to "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," the Twilight Zone episode based on the Ambrose Bierce short story about a man about to be hanged who, in his final moments, imagines himself surviving and escaping.  

* He sites Steven King, Philip K. Dick, Camus, Kafka, Graham Greene, and Dostoevsky as literary influences. He admitted not having read any of them since high school English and not knowing which way to pronounce Camus.

* Heís a big fan of Kill Bill and Quentin Tarantino, who he met at the premier. Also a fan of Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze/Charlie Kaufman. Apparently, when Kaufman turned in his draft of Adaptation, everyone in Hollywood wanted to kill him. Kelly tells another story about a screening of Being John Malcovitch: a producer who passed on it walked out claiming she'd dodged a bullet, and, later, at the Oscars, talked about how it was one of her favorite films of the year.

* The concept of the screenplay began with the jet engine. It was inspired by the urban legend of the block of frozen urine that falls from a plane and strikes a man dead - an idea, Kelly pointed out, that was also used in an episode of Six Feet Under.

* When asked about his struggles filming Donnie Darko and whether he expects his struggles to get worse, Kelly clarified that filmmaking is always a struggle. "There's always 20 bozos who'll screw it up," he complained. "They're not in it for the art at all; to them it's just a business." He discussed his next film, Knowing, which has been caught in legal entanglements; principal photography won't begin until early next year, due in part to the film's $15 million budget. (Darko, which was made for more that a third less, failed to earn back production costs.)

* On the scripts he is writing for other directors in the meantime, Kelly claimed he considers it work-for-hire, though he emphasized the importance of owning and protecting one's material until it is set to go into production. "They can cast Carrot Top," he warned. "You're fucked."

* When asked if he intended the faculty in Darko to be so blatantly incompetent, Kelly reiterated that the characters are supposed to be archetypes, but, yes, Kitty and the principal are "clearly nitwits," while the teachers played by Barrymore and Noah Wyle are the liberal progressive types he admired growing up in Virginia. If Darko has any message, he concedes it would be that public schools and suburban life in general can be so pointlessly damaging that it's no wonder kids are shooting up their schools.

* Most of the throwaway details in the film were written in the script - right down to the "God Is Awesome!" T-Shirt. Kelly admitted admiration for directors like Ridley Scott and Terry Gilliam who emphasize details, and pointed out that technicians appreciate it when you're real specific.

* Patrick Swayze is the nicest man in the world. The infomercial was shot on his ranch; his wife showed them his recording studio and brought out his "80's clothes." Swayze was very enthusiastic about the project: ìHe wanted to take a blowtorch to his image."

* Kelly got to USC on an art scholarship, and changed his major almost immediately. He got into the film department on the strength of his writing samples, and intended to continue as a screenwriter until his peers told him he was most defiantly a director. His dad was a scientist at NASA, and his whole family has a background in architecture and engineering, and after all, ìa director is an architect.î

* The Donnie Darko book - not a novel, more like a production book, like the Matrix coffee table book - is already available inLondonand contains the screenplay, including unproduced scenes. It will be available in theUSshortly.

* When asked, he defended Cherita, the plump Chinese girl, by comparing her to the Mike Yanagita character inFargo. All he does it hit on Marge and lie about his marriage - the studio should have cut the scene, Kelly claims. But when Marge discovers that he lied, it makes her wonder if sheís easily lied to - prompting her to question Jerry Lundegaard a second time. Yanagita was secretly crucial. Kelly failed to explain why putting on Cheritaís earmuffs was an important stage in the development of Donnieís character, but claimed it was anyhow.

As he got up to leave, the SDFCS representative reminded him of his special announcement: he is in negotiations with Newmarket Film Group to re-release Donnie Darko next March, including more pop music removed since it was shown at Sundance, and, more importantly - it will be a Directorís Cut. He claimed it may include stuff not available on the DVD. He did not specify how wide it will be distributed.

The SDFCS rep also reminded him to tell us that McFarlane Toys is working on a Frank the Bunny doll.

Kelly, though appearing tired, was willing to sign DVD covers and chatted with fans as they left the theater.

Madstone will continue showing Donnie Darko until the 23rd.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

1. Great movie,

2. Do we need a re-release, though?

3. Won't this inevitably lead to another Super Special Edition DVD that we don't need?

Quote from: themodernage02* When asked if he intended the faculty in Darko to be so blatantly incompetent, Kelly reiterated that the characters are supposed to be archetypes, but, yes, Kitty and the principal are "clearly nitwits," while the teachers played by Barrymore and Noah Wyle are the liberal progressive types he admired growing up in Virginia. If Darko has any message, he concedes it would be that public schools and suburban life in general can be so pointlessly damaging that it's no wonder kids are shooting up their schools.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. How many generations of kids grew up in the suburbs and in "pointlessly damaging" public schools and didn't shoot each other up?

5. I want a Frank the Bunny figurine NOW, Daddy!

Banky

modage

didnt mean to be an asshole, i wasjust letting you know i posted that story up yesterday in this thread.  you can discuss it wherever you like.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

its cool man i was just asking, i appreciate the redirect just as long as it is rediredted on both you know.  I was seriusly asking though which one do you think?

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02didnt mean to be an asshole, i wasjust letting you know i posted that story up yesterday in this thread.  you can discuss it wherever you like.

Welcome to my world.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

MAc why do you take off the letterbox on animated av's

MacGuffin

Quote from: BankyMAc why do you take off the letterbox on animated av's

My av's are widescreen enhanced for 16x9 avatar viewing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky